Bernier a Maple Leaf. :(

Guest AndyS

@aziz

To me Bernier is exactly what Mason is - athletic and quick. With Mason having more experience. Of course for Bernier playing on the same team with Quick was hard to become regular starter.

I am OK with giving something similar to what Toronto did, but giving Couts away is to much for me.

I've missed out on a lot of hockey news, so pardon my ignorance. Did the leafs sign him Bernier to a new contract after the trade? Or, is he still an RFA and can we still offer sheet him?

Bernier, 24, is eligible to become a restricted free agent but Bernier's agent Pat Brisson has already spoken with Leafs GM Dave Nonis and the two plan on engaging in contract talks this week.

Bernier, who made US$1.525 million this season, is eligible to become a restricted free agent, but Nonis believes signing the 24-year-old from Laval, Que., won't be an issue.

Those are from TSN, so there is still no contract

• Like 1

I am OK with giving something similar to what Toronto did, but giving Couts away is to much for me.

It seemed that the problem was that the Flyers didn't have something similar to what Tronno did.

Scrivens is signed for next season and has NHL backup experience (which LA apparently required) at $550K. Cal Heeter, by contrast, has never played an NHL game and costs $400K more than Scrivens. Yes, you read that right. Just for the record, Stolarz is under contract for $925K.

Frattin is signed through next season ($487K cap hit) and is then a RFA.

Kings get a cheap backup and a RFA forward. They do have some cap issues.

Flyers had... Heeter/Stolarz and Jason Akeson ($900K)? Tye McGinn ($775K)? Kyle Flanagan ($925K)? Tyler Brown ($900K)?

Just about anything the Flyers had to deal would have cost twice what the Tronno assets did.

Cal Heeter, by contrast, has never played an NHL game and costs $400K more than Scrivens

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!!!!!!

Did not know that.

That is expensive for a guy without even a sniff of the pros!

I think that is because of Flyers mismanagement of the whole organization from the rooter to the tooter!!!!!!!!!!!!

They have guys 10 guys earning 900k salaries now i'm not sure how many of those are two ways or one ways but that his how they "lured" Heeter.

That is also how they got Read. Now is not just money but it is part of it and then chance of playing time.

Happens also when people around the league see/hear stuff...for example like suddenly trading Richie and Carter...

...right or wrong it will cause players not to trust them so much and as a results free agents pass you by, not all but some.

Flannigan was one signed like that too and Konan and Mangene.

I've missed out on a lot of hockey news, so pardon my ignorance. Did the leafs sign him Bernier to a new contract after the trade? Or, is he still an RFA and can we still offer sheet him?

I was actually wondering what the rules are on that kind of thing. Somehow I doubt that the Flyers are allowed to offer sheet him right after a trade, but if they ARE allowed to do so? Do it! Do it right now!

I'm fine with trading Couturier, but he's probably the most valuable trade chip the Flyers have, and I would want something more in return than Bernier.

Pretty sure we could've gotten Bernier and a dman prospect or pick(s) for Couturier. Another thing I don't get is why trade for Mason at the deadline and give up those picks when we all know for sure Bernier would be available this offseason. Just another bonehead move by Homer to me, he doesn't have a plan at all. He has a reaction to what's the best available player at the moment a la Streit.

Bernier might be the next Marty but chances are he won't. I would love to see him develop in the O&B but will say that I am grateful that Homer did not get into a bidding war... Said it before but jeep this core together and I think Read is too much to pay for an unproven commodity.

We simply did not have the pieces to get it done... Roll with Mason and see who happens IMO. We are only locked in for a year with Mason and the FA crop next year is impressive... Hopefully, Mason regains confidence and turns into the true #1...

Oh yeah... Buy Bryz out no matter what!

Posted · Hidden by hf101, June 25, 2013 - double post
Hidden by hf101, June 25, 2013 - double post

Bernier might be the next Marty but chances are he won't. I would love to see him develop in the O&B but will say that I am grateful that Homer did not get into a bidding war... Said it before but jeep this core together and I think Read is too much to pay for an unproven commodity.

We simply did not have the pieces to get it done... Roll with Mason and see who happens IMO. We are only locked in for a year with Mason and the FA crop next year is impressive... Hopefully, Mason regains confidence and turns into the true #1...

Oh yeah... Buy Bryz out no matter what!

Nvm. Didn't see link above on IPhone. Only 2 guys on that list interest me, Crawford and Lundqvist. I don't see them becoming available in the FA market. Hiller and Halak doesn't interest me at all. Miller will be another Bryz, so we will yet again sign a stop gap goalie if we buy out this bum.

Edited by Vincent05

Pretty sure we could've gotten Bernier and a dman prospect or pick(s) for Couturier. Another thing I don't get is why trade for Mason at the deadline and give up those picks when we all know for sure Bernier would be available this offseason. Just another bonehead move by Homer to me, he doesn't have a plan at all. He has a reaction to what's the best available player at the moment a la Streit.

Homer gave third round pick in 2015 and M.Leighton for Mason. Mason is just 4 month older that Bernier and played 4 times more games in NHL. Also Mason is the only goalie that was capable to lead Columbus to playoffs. Basicly we got him for nothing.

So when the options are - Mason for third round pick and salary dump or Bernier for good roster player (Read) or top D forward (Couts) i will always go with Mason. Also Mason cap hit for next season will be 1,5 m.

Homer get alot of hate here, even i do not like all of his moves but so far he was abble to address our main weaknesess from last season - Goalie and Puck moving defenceman basicly without lossing roster player or giving early draft pick.

• Like 1

Homer gave third round pick in 2015 and M.Leighton for Mason. Mason is just 4 month older that Bernier and played 4 times more games in NHL. Also Mason is the only goalie that was capable to lead Columbus to playoffs. Basicly we got him for nothing.

So when the options are - Mason for third round pick and salary dump or Bernier for good roster player (Read) or top D forward (Couts) i will always go with Mason. Also Mason cap hit for next season will be 1,5 m.

Homer get alot of hate here, even i do not like all of his moves but so far he was abble to address our main weaknesess from last season - Goalie and Puck moving defenceman basicly without lossing roster player or giving early draft pick.

That pick for Mason could've been part of package for Bernier but who knows what was offered from Homer. If Mason doesn't work out, look at the goalie market next year and tell me it interest you besides the two I named. Yes we didn't give up a roster player for Streit but that contract will hurt us 3-4 years down the road. How has he address our weakness from last year so far? I don't see it.

I don't really care for the draft picks besides the 1st round, their picks in the later rounds sucks anyways. Tired of them drafting mucklers, grinders and high energy guys. They need to find players with skills in later rounds to build a championship caliber team, I have no confidence they will anyways so the picks will be useless.

Schenn, Grossman and Coburn are sighned till 2016. Streit last year is 2017. Grossman will not recieve a rise after his contract will expire. Timo next year will free 6 mil. add Pronger's 5 mil. and we can aford 7 or 8 mil. for #1 defenseman. Mezaros will free 4 mil which can be used for Bourdon and Gus. Mat Walker will free another 1.7 mil this season.

Hartnell and Simmonds are locked till 2019.

Voracheck is till 2016.

B. Schenn new contract will be with almost same cap hit as is recent

Couts will recieve around 2-2.5 mil per year

Do not see how Streit contract will hurt us. Also which of this year FA is better then Streit for our needs?

There is no guarantee that Mason will work, but the same is for Bernier. In worst case scenario for Mason - we lose third round pick and next year go for FA goalie. Worst case wit Bernie - we lose forward and pick and next year we are also looking a goalie, but this year we are looking for 20-25 goal scorer and two-way player if we give Read or for great prospect if we gave Couts.

Edited by krasy

http://www.capgeek.c...=G&fa_type_id=2

not real sure I agree with that

HL, Crawford, Miller? That is a pretty good class if they make it to FA. The point here is that goaltending can be addressed for the Flyers and let's not write off Mason just yet... Mason and Bernier are close in age and Mason has a lot more playing time in the NHL. Get rid of Bryz and bring someone else in...

My entire point is getting Bryz out of Philly... this nutjob is a cancer and he needs to be put out to pasture!

<br />HL, Crawford, Miller? That is a pretty good class if they make it to FA.<br />

true. the chances there, though, are slim. extensions on those contracts can't be handed out until july 5, i'd expect Crawford and lundqvist to be extended by Christmas. miller, maybe not, but i'm not real sure I want anything to do with him, anyway.

• Like 1

All that's happened is RFA Jonathan Bernier has gone from LA to TO. He hasn't signed, and he still hasn't proven anything other than he looks like he might be good. He played against a lot of offensively inferior teams last year, which is what he SHOULD be doing as a backup. He also got blown out a couple of times by teams that can score. He certainly has good reflexes but certainly doesn't have NHL size, when it comes to the new breed of goalie.

Maybe he wants to see if any offersheets come in next week? Maybe he doesn't like the idea of having to beat out Reimer? All I know is I'm glad Holmgren didn't sell the farm for what may or may not be the same thing he basically threw away last year. Bernier at this point is just a backup, he's NOT Brodeur, or even Quick for that matter.

• Like 2

Maybe he wants to see if any offersheets come in next week? Maybe he doesn't like the idea of having to beat out Reimer?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=674925

"I'm very happy, obviously," Bernier said. "Toronto has always been a great market; especially with the good young team they have now. It feels kind of like L.A. when I first got there in that we all grew up together. Hopefully I can fit in right away."

"I went through some ups and downs in L.A., but they treated me very well and I'm thankful for that," Bernier said. "This is a new challenge and I'm going to show people what I can do. At the same time I'll be with a great goalie in Reimer, so it's not going to be easy. I just have to do what I know I can do and hopefully have success."

His (Canadien-fan) family is talking about switching jerseys so it really doesn't sound like a guy who is hoping to get an offer sheet.

"They are all pretty much saying the same thing -- we have to switch jerseys," Bernier said with a laugh. "I'm sure they'll all do it. I don't know if they'll like it, but it's going to be great to be playing closer to home so my family can come and watch me play."

All I know is I'm glad Holmgren didn't sell the farm for what may or may not be the same thing he basically threw away last year. Bernier at this point is just a backup, he's NOT Brodeur, or even Quick for that matter.

This is the important part. I think the Kings (like most teams with these ridiculous term contracts) are going to regret the Quick signing much as Anaheim did with JSG after his Conn Smythe run to the Cup.

Bernier may turn into a franchise goalie in Tronno. He may be available in three years. We'll see.

I would have been OK with dealing a Read (UFA) or even Couturier (for a bigger package) but am not heartbroken that neither deal happened.

@radoran

OK, so it does sound like he may sign there. I hadn't heard that yet. He won't be a shoo-in to beat Reimer out, who's also a good young goalie, WITH playoff experience.

He could very well find himself in a similar situation as he had in LA.

Which could relate to the terms of the contract.

Would be a tragic thing if his family defected to become Laff fans and Bernier flamed out...

OTOH, Reimer could be available as an RFA next offseason... ;)