Fedotenko signs 3 year / $9M deal in KHL

brelic

Per many writers on Twitter.

I knew we wouldn't re-sign him, but that seems like a lot of money for a 3rd/4th line role player who's best days are behind him.

He's a bigger name - and bigger talent - in Russia.

But one does have to wonder how the KHL can afford to be throwing around these huge deals to players when the NHL owners are, per their claims, cash-strapped and running a league in which they have trouble managing to turn even the smallest of profits...

:ph34r:

It is, and I'm very happy for him, though I'm unsure of how much of that he will actually take home at the end of the day.

that seems like a lot of money for a 3rd/4th line role player who's best days are behind him.

He's a bigger name - and bigger talent - in Russia.

But one does have to wonder how the KHL can afford to be throwing around these huge deals to players when the NHL owners are, per their claims, cash-strapped and running a league in which they have trouble managing to turn even the smallest of profits...

:ph34r:

There are quite a lot of rubles in cri... um... *looks around shiftily* LEGITIMATE BUSINESS.

There is some SUPER rich oil executives in the KHL ownership ranks, some are so rich that the length of the deal or the money itslef are thought of as a secondary minor problem.. I have also heard that upper tier of the Russian Goverment has offered to double the salary of guys like Ovechkin should they leave the NHL and go back to play in Russia. There is a HUGE ground swell of nationalistic pride at stake here.