LW

Guest bullies

I know we have prospects, and I guess Harts has his moments, but we are overloaded @ C and loaded @ RW, but stink @ LW. I guess we could plug the gaping top line hole with Vinny or baby schenn, but centers rarley do their best @ wing and imo thats wasting talent. Wing sides are not as interchangeable as people act like they are... especially at a high level.

With all the conjecture on the board I'm shocked people aren't clamoring for a player to complete the _ G V line.

It seems to be a huge puzzle piece missing in a complete O from my perspective.

<br />Wing sides are not as interchangeable as people act like they are... especially at a high level.<br />

still disagree here. gagne was a center until he joined the flyers out of junior. Giroux was a wing for a long time, still is listed as a wing on a lot of sites. so. that's center to wing. right to left is an even smaller deal. the only time the left winger is on the left and the right winger is on the right is on faceoffs. with cross over breakouts, cycle offenses and defensive coverage determined by timing not roster position, I don't see how it makes any particular difference.

• Like 2

@ aziz, I respect the opinion, but I think the postional shift on offense is pretty substantial. Neutral zone shifts are one thing, but generaly in either teams zone a wing shouldn't travel further than the opposite post side. Wasn't G a center from day 1? What sites show him as a wing?

I know we have prospects, and I guess Harts has his moments, but we are overloaded @ C and loaded @ RW, but stink @ LW. I guess we could plug the gaping top line hole with Vinny or baby schenn, but centers rarley do their best @ wing and imo thats wasting talent. Wing sides are not as interchangeable as people act like they are... especially at a high level.

With all the conjecture on the board I'm shocked people aren't clamoring for a player to complete the _ G V line.

It seems to be a huge puzzle piece missing in a complete O from my perspective.

Here is their depth chart...

http://capgeek.com/flyers/depth-chart/

..and when you have 55 centers someone has to play wing!!!!!

Spin the bottle!!!!

@jammer2 yeah, can't argue with that, I guess my biggest issue is hartsy on our top line and how vinny or hall doesn't fix that. I'd rather read or gags (if he's back) there. I don't hate hartsy at all, but he is def not dynamic

although Laughton will come off when he is shipped back to Oshawa.

He won't get the 5 game look?

I'm afraid he's got pieces and picks and cash...he is lethal!!!!!!!!!

By Sunday night will will have transpired??????

To me aside from goaltending one of the biggest keys to the season is Hartnell. If he returns to the 30 goal player a couple of seasons ago we can roll out 4 decent lines. If he struggles he takes the first line down with him.

I envision the lines as follows: Hartnell with Giroux and Jake, Schenn (moving to wing) with Vinny and Simmonds

I think if Hartnell returns to form we have two solid scoring lines. I really like the potential of a Schenn, Vinny and Simmonds line as not only can they score but they will wear down the opposition and cause match up problems for the other teams top defensive pair.

I see the 3rd line as Couts centering Read on one wing and possibly Talbot on the other. There is where if we make any move I wouldnt mind seeing Stalberg signed. He is big and fast and while he has been inconsistent, I think he would give the Flyers 3 potential scoring lines.

@Dynamo 47 I like the idea of a Schenn and Simmonds playing with Lecavalier. Vinny is a soft player, so pairing him with two physical guys helps the cycle out etc. Plus, those guys digging the puck out of the corner lets Vinny set up in the slot and helps his goal totals. I just want to make sure that Schenn does not get handed the 2nd line winger role. I think Read is better sutied for the top 6 and having Read play with the Talbot types is not great for the team, in other words, it's not maximizing his skill set. It's a tough call there for me, cause you'd also want to put Schenn in a positon to grow and evolve as a player. Either way, move one of them up based on hard work and the fact they earned it.

@jammer2

I'm not sure I agree with your assessment of Vinny being soft. He's not a mucker and a grinder but he doesn't get pushed around either and is good at protecting the puck. I guess I hear the word soft and I think more of the guy that Vinny is replacing (Briere). The good news is whether it's Schenn or Read on the 2nd line they have options and neither would be out of place.

@PhilsFanDrew Vinny is not consistant on the forecheck, makes these gliding strides in the general area of the puck, but puts no real pressure on the dman to move it quickly, or somewhere he does not want to put it. That's a huge thing with me. I hate guys that half ass it on the forecheck. It makes the team easier to play against. I do agree he does a real nice job of protecting the puck with his body, that's a plus.

To me, Vinny plays that Jeff Carter kind of defense, just enough effort so you can't really call him out on it. Defense is a team concept that everyone has to be on board with, if everyone does not buy in, it's counterproductive for the whole team. Metzler said it best the other day, "Vinny takes entire games off mentally". That's not good. He will get ripped beyond belief if he does that in Philly. I can see him being the new whipping boy in a few years....I can envision it clearly....hope I'm wrong.

@PhilsFanDrew Vinny is not consistant on the forecheck, makes these gliding strides in the general area of the puck, but puts no real pressure on the dman to move it quickly, or somewhere he does not want to put it. That's a huge thing with me. I hate guys that half ass it on the forecheck. It makes the team easier to play against. I do agree he does a real nice job of protecting the puck with his body, that's a plus.

To me, Vinny plays that Jeff Carter kind of defense, just enough effort so you can't really call him out on it. Defense is a team concept that everyone has to be on board with, if everyone does not buy in, it's counterproductive for the whole team. Metzler said it best the other day, "Vinny takes entire games off mentally". That's not good. He will get ripped beyond belief if he does that in Philly. I can see him being the new whipping boy in a few years....I can envision it clearly....hope I'm wrong.

His inconsistency is a concern of mine. That is primarily why I want him centering Schenn and Simmonds. Both guys are big, physical, and strong but beyond that, work their asses off on the forecheck and finishing their checks. I am hoping that their tenacity will rub off on Vinny and he will be more consistent.

TOTALLY agree about the Jeff Carter defense.

sometimes i wonder if i am not on a Flyers section

@jammer2 - Jeff Carter was and is exellent on defense. If you look at his stats he has a little more PK time in LA than Mike Richars last season, with a biger Corsi. In the playoffs Richards get the nod. Carter has finished his 4 on 5 shifts on offensive zone much more than Richards here and in LA.

@jammer2

Schenn and Simmonds playing with Lecavalier. Vinny is a soft player, so pairing him with two physical guys helps the cycle out etc

Interesting stat, lecavalier had more hits last season than Simmonds or hartnell. Averages around 100 per season. As opposed to, say, Carter, more in the 60 neighborhood.

Plus, 24 fights in his career. He obviously isn't a crunching power forward, but I think the idea he is soft comes from somewhere other than his play. He has a wussy name, for starts.

sometimes i wonder if i am not on a Flyers section

@jammer2 - Jeff Carter was and is exellent on defense. If you look at his stats he has a little more PK time in LA than Mike Richars last season, with a biger Corsi. In the playoffs Richards get the nod. Carter has finished his 4 on 5 shifts on offensive zone much more than Richards here and in LA.

Maybe. My problem with him was he always fired high and wide. The guy was pretty adept at missing the net.

Lol

He was kind of a one way flashy player back in the day. When his offense dropped after the shoulder surgery, though, he rounded his game out a lot. More work in the corners, more attention to the defensive side of the game. I think people are going to be pleasantly surprised.

Interesting stat, lecavalier had more hits last season than Simmonds or hartnell.

That is an interesting stat wouldn't have guess that....i guess one thing for sure he's prove unlike many draft since and before is he cetainly was the #1 overall over David Legwand who has just lived in the shadows his whole career...