Hextall new Assistant GM

FC, eventhough I agree with you regarding more of the old boys club, Hextall is different when it comes to Philly management. The biggest thing is he wasn't trained under Clarke or Holmgren so he has a different perspective on managing. Another plus is he is a former Flyer who understands how Ed Snider thinks and how the fanbase is. I think he'd do well as a replacement for Holmgren down the road. Hopefully the Flyers will allow him to rebuild the farm system for the Phantoms.

I agree with you 100%. All the press seems to be pointing at Hextall as Homer's inevitable replacement, but then everyone ignores the fact that Homer is the one who hired him.

However, I actually do believe they're thinking Hexy eventually will be GM and they probably told him so when they made him the offer. Otherwise, why does Hextall leave an asst. GM job in LA for an asst. GM job here.

Obviously Lukko could have told Homer to hire him... but my guess is that Homer doesn't necessarily want to be GM forever and is thinking about his own long term departure rather than him being forced out.

There were rumors that Homer wanted out a few years ago. Rumors that he might get brought back into MN or someplace else. Think about it. Has Homer EVER looked happy since taking over? I mean a certain degree of that is just his mentality, I know from back in his coaching and playing days, but still... he's seemed absolutely miserable almost every day of the past 5 or 6 years.

I don't in any way shape or form see this is Him being forced to hire his own replacement. I think he probably told Lukko and Snider that eventually he'll want to make a graceful exit, so let's come up with a good way to make it as graceful as possible. He'll probably leave in a year or two regardless of how the team is doing. Think of Gillick leaving the PHillies after the world series. He announced it ahead of time. Everyone knew he was out. We pleaded with him to stay the night they won. he still left. Sometimes a guy just wants to move on.

@DaGreatGazoo

I get your point, but doubt Homer would hire him to put pressure on himself. More of the old boys club, that's all.

I think you hit the nail on the head... but besides being an ex Flyer, Hexy's really been on the inside of an excellent organization. What Lombardi and Hexy did out there throughout the farm system and everything was really impressive.

they all wanted the next guy to be a legit Flyer.