The odd case of Bobby Clarke's desk....

jammer2

@JackStraw Holy crap did that guy get a *great* deal on that desk or what!! I mean, the autograph's are worth the 425 alone, but to get that particular desk, where Clarke made so many decisions, even the decision to retire, that is a priceless piece of Flyer history right there! I'd put it in my den and nobody would be able to sit at it.....ha ha. Plus, you know something that takes 5 guys to move is A)real wood and B)usually a very nice piece of furniture. The whole story is crazy, how the desk spent the night in impound...just great stuff, glad I ran across it!

I like the comments on the board. Didn't want Kelly's autograph, had his secretary call his wife, low balled a charity out of $75........ Cool story and even cooler desk, but I would have paid double to have that desk in my office.

@Quint

"Some how I think there was some context removed from that discussion with the police officer too."

Well it was a one sided version that he gave, so I imagine you are correct. I have many friends that are police officers and most would not impound a vehicle under his presented circumstances. He was probably very obnoxious towards the office. I think a good tell of his character is:

A) cheap'd down a charity

B) Had to call his secretary to call his wife

That's just my two-cents. Although the desk found a loving home and it's a cool story despite the underlined pretension.

Edited by Bertmega

@ flyercanuck

I guess it was a googleable offense.

I was thinking of something different. I was thinking it was an old men's league team because I used to see banners (in my younger years) up at some old rinks I used to play in. Maybe it was different team name I was thinking of. But I think the banners were black silver or black red something like that. Thought they were some kind of semi pro or traveling team, anywho...

Googled it, sure enough there's the emblem. Interesting read, did not know Bernie played for the blazers.

What a brief time in philly they had. Also looked up WHA history, that's an interesting read too. I knew players came from that league (Gretzky, Messier) but didn't know 4 teams were absorbed. Always thought that league disbanded and there was a draft for WHA players into NHL. Both were a little before my time.

Side note: NHL really boned those franchises coming in!

Anybody know why Bernie jump ship for that one season? Money?

• Like 1

@Quint

Money.

The WHA were throwing it around like drunken sailors. It couldn't last. Derek Sanderson, who was a good defensive forward who was excellent at faceoffs, became the highest paid athlete in the world for a short time span, thanks to the WHA.