Hockey Canada "extremely disappointed" over Giroux's absence

brelic

This whole mess makes me mad. Like many others, I've been waiting my whole life for the Flyers to win a Cup (well, since I was 9 and I'm now 47). Anything that takes away from that should be frowned upon. Team Canada, yeah, Gold is a big deal up here, but if I had to put numerical value on it, I'd put Gold for Team Canada at a 7 and the Flyers winning the Cup at a 10.

I have an easy solution...

USA wins the Olympics and the Flyers win the Stanley Cup    :D

-Hmm... McKenzie just said "it's safe to assume" that Hockey Canada is extremely disappointed. I wouldn't want to get too bent out of shape over anything yet.

-The Flyers have their concerns, and they're extremely fair. However, if they ordered Giroux not to attend, then they're just being dicks. He could have attended the orientation, met with his coaches and teammates, but then (gasp!) not played any ball hockey. The hand injury is only an issue if he plays.

-None of this is a very big deal. If Giroux goes out and plays like he can this year, he's an easy choice for the Olympic team.

JR

-Hmm... McKenzie just said "it's safe to assume" that Hockey Canada is extremely disappointed. I wouldn't want to get too bent out of shape over anything yet.

-The Flyers have their concerns, and they're extremely fair. However, if they ordered Giroux not to attend, then they're just being dicks. He could have attended the orientation, met with his coaches and teammates, but then (gasp!) not played any ball hockey. The hand injury is only an issue if he plays.

-None of this is a very big deal. If Giroux goes out and plays like he can this year, he's an easy choice for the Olympic team.

JR

The Flyers could be dicks by not letting G go but I applaud them for it - if it were to be true.  Griroux is the property of the Flyers and his dedication and first thoughts should be with the Flyers IMO.  At the end of the day he is getting paid to be a Flyer which means rehabbing to be on the ice on opening night.  Not dicking around in the woods with his fellow Canadian players...

• Like 1

If Crosby, G, Tavares or any other player would get hurt it could ruin the teams NHL season.

I might have to make this my signature... a Flyers fan concerned that Crosby could get hurt!!   :o

Edited by Polaris922
  • Like 1

The Flyers could be dicks by not letting G go but I applaud them for it - if it were to be true.

Griroux is the property of the Flyers and his dedication and first thoughts should be with the Flyers IMO.  At the end of the day he is getting paid to be a Flyer which means rehabbing to be on the ice on opening night.  Not dicking around in the woods with his fellow Canadian players...

"If" is certainly the operative word here; I agree.

How does attending a meeting in Calgary take anything away from the Flyers? I have 100% understanding for the Flyers not wanting him to further injure his hand by taking part in any sort of scrimmage, but fail to see what any team should care about a player meeting up with a bunch of other players and coaches in another city on his own time off. I want to know how this negatively impacts the Philadelphia Flyers organization.

JR

"If" is certainly the operative word here; I agree.

How does attending a meeting in Calgary take anything away from the Flyers? I have 100% understanding for the Flyers not wanting him to further injure his hand by taking part in any sort of scrimmage, but fail to see what any team should care about a player meeting up with a bunch of other players and coaches in another city on his own time off. I want to know how this negatively impacts the Philadelphia Flyers organization.

JR

good point JR...  but if I am Homer he is sitting w/ the physical therapist rehabbing the injury to make sure he is on the ice ASAP. 

I think this whole story is fluff to draw attention to the Flyers and Giroux.  There're no quotes from anybody associated with Hockey Canada saying this stuff.    As @JR Ewing wrote... this is all speculation by McKenzie...  somebody you guys usually say is an idiot anyway.  

good point JR...  but if I am Homer he is sitting w/ the physical therapist rehabbing the injury to make sure he is on the ice ASAP. 

Oh, and I would make that clear to Giroux if I were Holmgren. Hell, I'm sure that Giroux himself has the first and foremost on his mind. Either way, like I said in my first post: Giroux's just so damned good, that if he plays like we can expect, he'll be on that team no matter what.

JR

• Like 1

I think this whole story is fluff to draw attention to the Flyers and Giroux.  There're no quotes from anybody associated with Hockey Canada saying this stuff.    As @JR Ewing wrote... this is all speculation by McKenzie...  somebody you guys usually say is an idiot anyway.  

He is an idiot :D

And I agree this is most likely all speculative.   The dog days of summer but at least it give us something to talk about...

Very interesting, the panel had the *exact* conversation we all did last week, that one of P.K or Letang will make the team but not both....and they all reached the same conclusion, P.K over Letang. I see the reasoning for Bouwmeester being included. He is still an awesome skater, and a natural left D man, so he will almost have to play himself off the team.

I was disappointed with the goalie part. Nobody even mentioned Holtby as a possiblity of sneaking on the team...I'll go one step further, I think skill wise, he is Team Canada's best goalie, and if he plays like I think he will in Oct, Nov and Dec, he should at the very least be in the top 3. Throw out all the reputations, throw out Luongo's Gold Medal in 2010 and make this a legit competition, strictly based on this years play.

As of right now, I would go ....

1) Carey Price

2)Bradon Holtby

3)Cam Ward

Leave Luongo, Fleury, Smith at home.