Lines: Crosby, Kunitz and....Bennett?

B21

@Polaris922

You may be able to confirm this but I thought I read that the Pens are experimenting with the following top two line combinations...

Kunitz / Crosby / Bennett

Neal / Malkin / Dupuis

Have to say - I like it.  I know Crosby likes playing with Dupers but I like the idea of Bennett on Crosby's line.

• Like 1

@Polaris922

You may be able to confirm this but I thought I read that the Pens are experimenting with the following top two line combinations...

Kunitz / Crosby / Bennett

Neal / Malkin / Dupuis

Have to say - I like it. I know Crosby likes playing with Dupers but I like the idea of Bennett on Crosby's line.

If so its news to me. Bennett didn't skate with Crosby at all in the preseason that I noticed. He did skate with Malkin though. I think it would be foolish to move Dupuis after he had such a great season last year on Crosby's wing. He was on a 40+ goal pace in a regular season.

I think the Pens ought to try it and by that i mean give them a few weeks and see what's what.  I think there is far more upside to having Bennett and his skill set on Crosby's wing than Dupuis.  Bennett and Depres i think are two of the better young players in your system , i think Dupuis has reached his ceiling he can thank Sidney by washing his Range Rover every thursday for his nice raise... take him off that line and he turns into a slightly upgraded version of Max Talbot.  With Bennett he will benefit from Crosby's skill but add some of his own and could make your top two lines pretty damn deadly while moving Dupuis down the lineup provides depth.

i would try it, provided Bennett doesn't look like pooh in camp.

Sorry, just not seeing it.  The biggest difference between Crosby and Malkin is that Crosby can play with two plugs, and make them better, Malkin still needs to be with talent. Kunitz and Dupuis have HUGH experience and success with Crosby, just can't see them mixing the top lines.  I don't see Dupuis succeeding on Geno's line.

That being said, if someone like Kobasew makes the team, I wouldn't mind seeing him play along with Sid and move Dupuis down to solidfy the third line. Dupers can play on Sid's line, but he has proven that he can fill a roll as a defensive forward.  He'd work great along side Sutter.

My only issue with that is that Dupuis scored a LOT on Sid's wing.  Not every player has the speed and intelligence to be in that position to do so.  I'm not knocking Bennett so much as supporting Dupuis.  Yes if you take him away from Sid he's just another Talbot type, but the simple fact of the matter is though Sid makes every player with him better, not all of them can score 20 goals in 48 games, 12 of the games WITHOUT Sid.  He's no Brett Hull I know... but some players feed better off talent, and Dupuis is one of them.  Bennett is a skilled young winger who will evolve into a starting top 6 I have no doubt.  I would play him with Geno and Neal right now though...  they need a winger with them, and breaking up the chemistry of the first line seems a fool's errand to me.  Why fix it if it isn't broken?  

Edited by Polaris922

@Polaris922  Do you think Khunackle has a chance to crack the line-up. Has he played decent in preseason? I only saw the Pens vs Leafs rookies early on, and he did look good, but against other rooks. Good I hope this guy makes the NHL, what a TERRIFIC 2 way guy with great hands. If he ever got in the Pens top 6, he would be a star, I just know it.

@Polaris922  Do you think Khunackle has a chance to crack the line-up. Has he played decent in preseason? I only saw the Pens vs Leafs rookies early on, and he did look good, but against other rooks. Good I hope this guy makes the NHL, what a TERRIFIC 2 way guy with great hands. If he ever got in the Pens top 6, he would be a star, I just know it.

I had hopes for Khunackle, and not just for his name.  He filled a lot of space in front of the net and accepted that position.  Too bad he went down, but he's going to play in the NHL

Wow, a lineup talk thread and it's NOT about the Flyers?? LOL. Sorry to interject, but I just have to say, I saw the Pens vs Wings game a couple days ago (as I'm getting free previews with Center Ice) & that was a wicked game by the Pens. Very entertaining...they played like it was a 'playoff' game!  That spinorama & quick release shot by Kunitz is really one for the highlight reels. Unbelievable. They are just fun to watch.

I think you guys have a bigger problem on your hands with Letang's status.  What is it anyway?  All I've heard so far is a lower body injury.  Is it bad?  You can ill-afford to have him out of your lineup for an extended period of time.  

I think you guys have a bigger problem on your hands with Letang's status.  What is it anyway?  All I've heard so far is a lower body injury.  Is it bad?  You can ill-afford to have him out of your lineup for an extended period of time.  

Pens are really tight lipped about injuries, so unless there is information from someone that saw something happen at practice(which I haven't seen yet) you'll get nothing and like it.

It always hurts to have your top defenseman out, but the Pens are pretty well stocked on defense.  What will be interesting to see is how they will put on the point on the first powerplay unit to fill his spot.