Hybrid Icing Approved

Guest yave1964

For those who have watched the preseason you have had the opportunity to watch the NHL version of no touch icing a hybrid version that is designed to give linesman the ability to blow the whistle and save legs from being crushed against the boards as two players go hell bent for leather for the puck. Kurtis Foster saw his career derailed, as did many others, ask Joni Pitkanen what he thinks of it.

I don't know, part of me LOVES the players going a million miles an hour straight at a wall leaving health and little regard for self out of the equation as they try to beat each other to the puck knowing they will have to slam into the glass at full speed.

But on the other hand I understand the concern for safety. As a player you want to maximize your career earnings and as a team you want to protect your assets. Nonetheless I feel it is just another step towards sissifying the game.

The decision is expected Monday from the players association. I have read a bit, it looks fifty fifty at best that it will go through.

What is your opinion?

I'd like to see it pass. Maybe the hash - marks isn't a clear enough marker with the speed of the game.  But so often we watch a defenseman having to skate the length of the ice while we wait for the whistle to blow. I think it will speed up the game.  And also players having to stay on the ice for an icing will have less time to catch their breath.

I'm glad this passed.

I do think the loss of racing for the puck won't be noticed as much as the increased speed of the face-offs, affording keeping tired players on the ice with a shorter amount of time to catch their breath.

NHL version of no touch icing a hybrid version that is designed to give linesman the ability to blow the whistle and save legs from being crushed against the boards

That seems to me a pretty good description of the new rule.  I'm not usually for rule changes.  But, in this case, it looks like a sensible change. 

• Like 1

Pure common sense move, Don Cherry must be thrilled. Just ask Pat Peake if this rule change is a good thing. One of MANY promising careers cut short due to the NHL's lack of movement on something that is just plain ol' common sense.