Some Questions for the Season

Guest Howie58

Greetings:

I am looking forward to facing the Leafs on the 2nd. Win or lose (preferably the former) it seems like a long summer will come to an end.

Here are some questions for the team.  My overall forecast is for 3rd in the Metro, though I may be optimistic.  Overall performance aside, here are my Qs for our performance.

1) Will we be in the top 10 in PP?  We  normally do well on PK.  

2) Will we avoid the stretches of limited to no puck movement out of our zone?  This has been a nightmare at times over the last few seasons. 

3)  Will we play .500 against the West?  We see a lot more more of them this year and their uptempo style could be a real challenge.

4)  Who will be the 3rd goalie if MASEM under-performs or has an injury?  Stolarz-Heeter may have potential but could either be a backup in the majors?

5)  Will we have a top 10 scorer?  Let's hope the sophomore slump thing is just that rather than an indicator of real potential.

Overall I will be an Eisenhower-style guarded optimist, but this preseason makes me wonder about the real potential.  On paper we have talent. In practice...this could be a collection of 2-3rd tier talent that doesn't gel.  I could see Lavy getting scapegoated early on if we are below .500 after a dozen or so games.  

Peace to all,

Howie

@Howie58

3rd in the Metro IS achievable IMO, however there are a lot of variables.

With regard to the PP and PK, that is actually one area of the team game that I am comfortable about. My bigger concern is their 5 on 5 play and the offensive struggles they had last year.

I still have major concerns over the puck movement out of the zone, even with Streit signed it doesn't appear that anything has changed, albeit there is only a small sample size (pre-season) to work with.

Stolarz is at least two years away from being NHL ready IMO, if not more. Heeter... well let's just say that based on last season with the Phantoms he doesn't look ready for a back up role yet either. Mind you, you could probably have the reincarnation of Ken Dryden and Patrick Roy in net for the Phantoms and they wouldn't look good either  :P I do hear that Michael Leighton is looking for a contract...  :ph34r:

I certainly think G will be a top ten scorer, and quite possibly Jake too. Last year they were 1 and 3 points out of doing just that, the year before G was 3rd overall. Also BSchenn and Simmonds should hopefully see an uptick in their production playing with VLC.

I could see Lavy getting scapegoated early on if we are below .500 after a dozen or so games

I could certainly see Lavi getting canned but I am not sure I would describe it as scapegoating in the traditional sense. Whilst you can argue he has been dealt some bum hands in terms of defensive players, there comes a point when a good coach recognizes that the players he has are not capable of playing the system he wants and amends the system to take account of that, rather than putting square pegs in round holes... I like his offensive instincts but the all out attack, up tempo pressure system does not seem to be working, where is the Plan B???

Edited by EDI-Flyer

There is no question in my mind that if the Flyers have a under .500 record within the first 10-20 games, Lavy will be fired. The question is, who’s out there to replace him?

I don’t think our PP will be any better until Craig Berube is let go. He was a hell of a hockey player, but as an assistant coach, I don’t think he’s the guy to be one of our coaches. The Flyers love giving alumni those jobs and I think it haunts them. Brining in Hextall as an Assistant GM, further proves this. I was hoping the Flyers would blow it up and remove all the Alumni from the front office and rebuild

I think Emery will be our starter with Mason playing well as a back-up. I think Heeter is a AHLer for life, kind of like Neil Little. Stolarz should be NHL ready within 2 years.

Our Defenseman are Defensive Defenseman except Brayden Coburn who’s more of an offensive Defenseman but if very poor at it.

Girioux and Voracek should be in line for a top PTS season. Theres a plethora of talent throughout the NHL who I think can make the top 10 hard for players. (Ovi, Stamkos, Malkin, Crosby, Nugent-Hopkins, Towes, Huberdeau, Taveres, St Louis, Eric Stahl, Kessel, Datsyuk)

Girioux placed 15th in the top PTS leaders last season with 1PTS per game. (48 Games 49 PTS).  Voracek was 18th on that list and I think Voracek is going to keep getting better and better. 

Lavy will get fired sometime this year. Trade Hartnell he SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! We can"t cover in our zone for one. Also not fast and tough enough sure we have big guys but not as skilled has others. Progner coach young d down with Phathoms! Next coach outside guy please! We will make playoffs and win cup. Why cause I'am a fan will only root for The Flyers!!!!!!!!!!!!! P.S. no more long term contracts with nmc and ntc

How does Hartnell Suck?

He was rushed back from Injury last year and I don’t count ANYONES stats except Voraceks and Giriouxs from last year’s mulligan.

But 11/12: 37G,30A 67 PTS

10/11: 24 G, 25 A 49 PtS

09/10:  14G 30A 44 Pts

08/09:  30G, 30A 60 Pts

07/08: 24G,19 A 43 Pts

Other than a Lockout shortened season which had it been full, he was on pace for 20+ goals, and 09/10 he’s consistently scored more than 20 goals per season and has more than 40 PTS per season since 2005. He’s got 485 PTS in 875 games. That’s pretty decent to me. He’s not a superstar, so you can’t expect him to put up PTS like Giroux or Crosby. He’s a power forward that not only gives you 40+ PTS per season, he wins battles on the boards, plays 2way hockey and stands up for his team mates. He’s not the best skater, I’ll give you that, but saying he sucks is baffling. He is also good in the Clutch. Do you remember the 2010 post season?  He had 17pts in 23 games, scored a goal and an assist in the down 0-3 game 7 and scored the Tying goal in Game 6 in the SCF. You’re entitled to your opinion, but I hate when people say Hartnell sucks when he’s got the stats to back up that he doesn’t. 

@iban3z

To tell the truth, I am pretty sure I could get decent points too if I was on a line with Jake and Giroux  ;)  but that is neither here nor there. A healthy Hartnell playing low in front of the net will do just fine with Jake and G. I will not be happy if he reverts to his lazy/stupid penalties I.E. hooking/interference/stick or glove throwing. Tough to hold the goalie interference calls against him as that should be his bread and butter scoring area. The second line is where I am a little concerned right now. I would be very tempted to put Read on the second with Vinny and Simmonds and move Schenn to the third line as more of a checking style player with scoring ability.

Edited by flyerrod

Interesting that Seravalli's prediction for the East has the Flyers missing the playoffs. I know a lot of people here don't like Frank, but I think he's probably right on this one.

The Flyers can *almost* score at will with the offensive talent they have, but they are also scored on at will.

I think our PP will be near the top again.

2) Will we avoid the stretches of limited to no puck movement out of our zone?  This has been a nightmare at times over the last few seasons.

Yeah, I don't see how that will change. It's basically the same personnel behind the bench and on it. 

3)  Will we play .500 against the West?  We see a lot more more of them this year and their uptempo style could be a real challenge.

Good question. We also play an uptempo style, and I think playing similar teams is a better match up for the Flyers. Teams like the Sharks, Canucks, and Hawks play similar styles. I'm not saying we'll win, but they'll feel closer than, say, games against the Devils.

4)  Who will be the 3rd goalie if MASEM under-performs or has an injury?  Stolarz-Heeter may have potential but could either be a backup in the majors?

I thought they brought in Danis exactly for this purpose. He's a journeyman goalie who will warm the bench if one of our guys gets hurt.

5)  Will we have a top 10 scorer?  Let's hope the sophomore slump thing is just that rather than an indicator of real potential.

Yes, we'll have 2 :) Giroux (98 pts) and Voracek (90). Pretty bold predictions!!

Lavy will get fired sometime this year. Trade Hartnell he SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!! We can"t cover in our zone for one. Also not fast and tough enough sure we have big guys but not as skilled has others. Progner coach young d down with Phathoms! Next coach outside guy please! We will make playoffs and win cup. Why cause I'am a fan will only root for The Flyers!!!!!!!!!!!!! P.S. no more long term contracts with nmc and ntc

This goes down as the most thought out post of the month for Sept.... :ph34r:

First, Pronger cant coach as he is still a member of the NHLPA.  Second, look at Hartnells numbers (last year aside) and willingness to drop the gloves.   Outside of Hartnell the only tough players are Simmonds and Rinaldo...

Edited by murraycraven

Greetings:

I am looking forward to facing the Leafs on the 2nd. Win or lose (preferably the former) it seems like a long summer will come to an end.

Here are some questions for the team.  My overall forecast is for 3rd in the Metro, though I may be optimistic.  Overall performance aside, here are my Qs for our performance.

Overall I will be an Eisenhower-style guarded optimist, but this preseason makes me wonder about the real potential.  On paper we have talent. In practice...this could be a collection of 2-3rd tier talent that doesn't gel.  I could see Lavy getting scapegoated early on if we are below .500 after a dozen or so games.  

Peace to all,

Howie

Greeting Howie & great post!

I am pumped for the season to begin yet hesitant with my optimism for this team.   

1.   We will be in the top 10 in the PP and I would expect top 5 after last season.   PK I believe we will be in the top 1/3 in the conference but defense is still going to be an issue to make the PK elite. 

2.  The transition game is something this team has needed to improve for years.   The addition of Streit and Gus should help out but I was not impressed with the transition game during the preseason.   I think this is a work in progress but I expect it to improve.

3.  We play below .500 against the West.

4.  Honestly, I dont think anyone will be the 3rd goalie and the workload will be given to Mason/Emery despite struggles.  If someone goes down I think Heeter would come up... Stolarz is nowhere near ready. 

5.  I think G will be in the top ten and Jake will finish right outside of the bubble.

Overall, my expectation for this year is to miss the playoffs once again or slip into a 7-8th seed.   I still do not believe in the defense and think this will be the demise of the season.   Likewise, I fully expect Mezz and/or Grossman to be on the LTIR before the end of the season.   However, I do believe one of Grossman/Mezz wil be moved for a winger.  

Offensively I think they will be okay... I am still concerned witht he pass-happiness offense and perimeter play.   Also, the play along the boards over the past few years has not been good.  

Howdy:

Before bearing down on AM work, it's good to see the gang on point. I forgot about Yann Danis in goal (too many gray hairs...or too much merlot.

I read what people say and the consensus and reality are in sync that the offense may not be the question the D is.  I stress 'may,' because we really don't know if the sophomore slump is just that.

Lavy and Homer are on the hot seat. I saw Homer on the CSN site last night and he looked terribly aged and hassled. I do not think this is a happy guy.  

This really is something of a pivot point for the franchise.  We see if the nucleus of forwards is as good as hoped. We assume at least 50% of MASEM pans out. The D is a patchwork that could flounder or function.  My fear with a quick coaching change is that it removes one more element for benchmarking these guys--a new system would bring new challenges.  I did not read Seravalli's piece but you can't fault the guy for his ranking. This squad is a big question mark.

Best,

Howie

Overall, my expectation for this year is to miss the playoffs once again or slip into a 7-8th seed.   I still do not believe in the defense and think this will be the demise of the season.   Likewise, I fully expect Mezz and/or Grossman to be on the LTIR before the end of the season.   However, I do believe one of Grossman/Mezz wil be moved for a winger.  

I agree with this assessment that we may just sneak in the postseason, but could just as easily be playing golf in mid-April. 

The only mitigating factor is Snider. If you'll recall, he put the team on "high alert" that they WILL make the playoffs this season. To me, that means a very short leash if the team gets off to a slow start or if at any point, the playoffs appear to be in jeopardy. And I think that alert was directed squarely at Homer and Laviolette... not the players.

It could be 2010 all over again.

• Like 1

I agree with this assessment that we may just sneak in the postseason, but could just as easily be playing golf in mid-April. 

The only mitigating factor is Snider. If you'll recall, he put the team on "high alert" that they WILL make the playoffs this season. To me, that means a very short leash if the team gets off to a slow start or if at any point, the playoffs appear to be in jeopardy. And I think that alert was directed squarely at Homer and Laviolette... not the players.

It could be 2010 all over again.

Brel,

could not agree more... the more I look at this Team the more I believe we could be looking at a dreadful season.  This is pretty bad b/c I am usually an optimist by nature.   There are too many questions and too many things that need to go right for this Team to make the playoffs and/or make a run. 

I hate to sound like a downer but this is just the way I see it...   If they start out slow this thing could go terrible wrong - aka: 2010.  I am just not confident in the defense and goaltending.   I understand they will be better by defaul b/c they are healthy but I still think the defense is below average - and aging.

Of course I could be terrible wrong (which I hope) but I am just trying to set myself up for realistic expectations.   There are just too many holes and too many questions...

Brel,

could not agree more... the more I look at this Team the more I believe we could be looking at a dreadful season.  This is pretty bad b/c I am usually an optimist by nature.   There are too many questions and too many things that need to go right for this Team to make the playoffs and/or make a run. 

I hate to sound like a downer but this is just the way I see it...   If they start out slow this thing could go terrible wrong - aka: 2010.  I am just not confident in the defense and goaltending.   I understand they will be better by defaul b/c they are healthy but I still think the defense is below average - and aging.

Of course I could be terrible wrong (which I hope) but I am just trying to set myself up for realistic expectations.   There are just too many holes and too many questions...

Greetings;

The question mark nature of this team is a universal.  Snider has to be thinking "legacy."  Right now he can look on a long track record of excellence, but recent disappointment. And I suspect that our Stanley Cup drought is not only one of the longest in the league (Leafs + expansion team) but probably one of the longest in all professional sports. The inconsistency of this franchise since the first lockout is pretty astounding. 

Best,

Howie

And I suspect that our Stanley Cup drought is not only one of the longest in the league (Leafs + expansion team) but probably one of the longest in all professional sports.

17 teams have won a cup since the flyers last did.  the flyers have won a cup more recently than 12 teams.  granted, 7 of those were later expansion teams.  still, the coyotes/old jets, canucks, blues, leafs, sabres, and capitals have been waiting a long time.  and of those, only the leafs have ever won.  unless you count the jet's winning the WHA a few times.

depending on your definition, maybe one of the longest in the league...but i'm gonna guess it doesn't even register in professional sports.

17 teams have won a cup since the flyers last did.  the flyers have won a cup more recently than 12 teams.  granted, 7 of those were later expansion teams.  still, the coyotes/old jets, canucks, blues, leafs, sabres, and capitals have been waiting a long time.  and of those, only the leafs have ever won.  unless you count the jet's winning the WHA a few times.

depending on your definition, maybe one of the longest in the league...but i'm gonna guess it doesn't even register in professional sports.

Howdy:

I agree the wait has been even longer for others.  And we are not in the Cubs' league. 

Best,

Howie

Greeting Howie & great post!

I am pumped for the season to begin yet hesitant with my optimism for this team.   

1.   We will be in the top 10 in the PP and I would expect top 5 after last season.   PK I believe we will be in the top 1/3 in the conference but defense is still going to be an issue to make the PK elite. 

2.  The transition game is something this team has needed to improve for years.   The addition of Streit and Gus should help out but I was not impressed with the transition game during the preseason.   I think this is a work in progress but I expect it to improve.

3.  We play below .500 against the West.

4.  Honestly, I dont think anyone will be the 3rd goalie and the workload will be given to Mason/Emery despite struggles.  If someone goes down I think Heeter would come up... Stolarz is nowhere near ready. 

5.  I think G will be in the top ten and Jake will finish right outside of the bubble.

Offensively I think they will be okay... I am still concerned witht he pass-happiness offense and perimeter play.   Also, the play along the boards over the past few years has not been good.  

Well said.  Pretty much sums up my feelings too.  I am remaining cautious optimistic.  As I said before, I will wait out the first 10-15 games to see how this team does before making and longstanding judgments.  (However...as a Flyers fan I reserve to change my mind at any given moment!) :D

I still believe this team is not ready for a cup run.  There are still way TOO many question marks both in goal and on the blue-line. Also the Flyers need to be better in their transition game as they got burned numerous times last year.  At best they are a 7 or 8 seed.  Remember this conference just got tougher with the addition Detroit and Bob in Columbus is going to haunt us.

• Like 2

How does Hartnell Suck?

He was rushed back from Injury last year and I don’t count ANYONES stats except Voraceks and Giriouxs from last year’s mulligan.

But 11/12: 37G,30A 67 PTS

10/11: 24 G, 25 A 49 PtS

09/10:  14G 30A 44 Pts

08/09:  30G, 30A 60 Pts

07/08: 24G,19 A 43 Pts

Other than a Lockout shortened season which had it been full, he was on pace for 20+ goals, and 09/10 he’s consistently scored more than 20 goals per season and has more than 40 PTS per season since 2005. He’s got 485 PTS in 875 games. That’s pretty decent to me. He’s not a superstar, so you can’t expect him to put up PTS like Giroux or Crosby. He’s a power forward that not only gives you 40+ PTS per season, he wins battles on the boards, plays 2way hockey and stands up for his team mates. He’s not the best skater, I’ll give you that, but saying he sucks is baffling. He is also good in the Clutch. Do you remember the 2010 post season?  He had 17pts in 23 games, scored a goal and an assist in the down 0-3 game 7 and scored the Tying goal in Game 6 in the SCF. You’re entitled to your opinion, but I hate when people say Hartnell sucks when he’s got the stats to back up that he doesn’t. 

I just think is a joke with him falling down ALL THE TiME! That hair and I'am a red head. When he fights he usually loses. A power forward was Tocchet, Neely and Clark all around guys! To be honset there is many in league now. If trade him need back one of these D/man young goalie or skilled forward winger a must!  I know he's not going to be traded

This goes down as the most thought out post of the month for Sept.... :ph34r:

First, Pronger cant coach as he is still a member of the NHLPA.  Second, look at Hartnells numbers (last year aside) and willingness to drop the gloves.   Outside of Hartnell the only tough players are Simmonds and Rinaldo...

Sorry Murray  for ruffling your feathers there! First I know about Pronger but why can't he look in on them. Rules are broken all the time. Second Not a fan of either Hartnell  and Rinaldo I think their ok players but there's I would like. Boll for Rinaldo A Hartnell trade for a young a d/man or skill forward. Yes it will not happen. Yes if Lavy is fired then who want outside guy think of the Raiders thinking in house how's that working out for them. Yes we slide to the playoffs and let's hope they win cup! Let's Go Flyers

Jam... Just busting your nards man. Was not trying to be dolt and no feathers ruffled here. I get what you are coming from but just don't see much in this team.

I hope I am terribly wrong but with the realignment it is going to be tougher to get into the playoffs and I feel for us to make the playoffs the address too many things that need to go right...

Again man.. Was just having a little fun. No hard feelings...

all in fun. The real problem is they need a plan  take a book from Red Wings ,NJ and Hawks. Keep young guys developing and sprinkle some mid age  vets with heart and a plan! Bring a guy from outside cause we all know Hex is next GM! Will always root for them. Team to watch out for is NYI

I agree with "Jam" 100%! For example look what Brian Burke has done with"Leafs",lots of big talented people,built thru the draft,trades,solid team building. Then look at what Homer has done in about the same time period. Calgary will probably win a "Cup" before the Flyers.