Sean Monahan to start season with Flames

Guest EDI-Flyer

Per the Calgary Herald 

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/hockey/calgary-flames/First+round+pick+Sean+Monahan+earns+right/8978476/story.html

From the moment he was drafted, Sean Monahan planned to make the Calgary Flames.

So far, so good, for the young man.

Monahan — who turns 19 on Oct. 12 — is part of the team’s 23-man roster heading into its season-opening bid Thursday in Washington.

“Sean has earned the right to be with us,” general manager Jay Feaster said Monday afternoon at the Scotiabank Saddledome. “We will continue to monitor Sean’s progress on a daily basis. We’ll see how he stacks up, how the games come to him, what kind of ice time he gets. Then we’ll make a decision that we believe to be in the best interests of both Sean Monahan’s continued development and also in the best interests of the Calgary Flames organization.”

The Flames have nine games — nine games, that is, in which he appears — to make up their minds. If he’s found wanting, back to the Ontario Hockey League he’ll scamper.

Should the six-foot-two centreman skate in a 10th National Hockey League date, he is here for the duration.

“I don’t think he has to play a lot or play a big role or play every game right away,” said Feaster, who nabbed Monahan sixth overall at the draft. “One of the nice parts about the nine-game audition is we decide when those nine games will take place. They don’t have to be the first nine. They could be spread over the course of three months if we decided we wanted to do it (that way).”

Good for Monahan for making it difficult for the Flames... If (and it's a big if) they keep him I can see him getting plenty of ice time.

@goalnut3133

CURTIS GLENCROSS MATT STAJAN LEE STEMPNIAK 27.78% SVEN BAERTSCHI SEAN MONAHAN DAVID JONES 22.65% TJ GALIARDI MIKAEL BACKLUND JIRI HUDLER 19.23% LANCE BOUMA BEN STREET BRIAN MCGRATTAN

10.26%

Ya know, when you take a gander at this years version of the Flames, there is no real wow factor or anything like that, but there is a new found respectability factor. For me, the key to their scoring will be how consistent the 2nd line of Jones, Monahan and Baertschi will be. Having said that, the top line of Glencross, Stajan and Stempniak might be the worst top line in the whole league. At least they compete, take no shifts off. Even the 3rd line with the young promising 2nd year man Backlund centering T.J Galiardi and Juri Hudler, that is a very respectable 3rd line right there.  The 4th line hits and fights, that is about it. But all in all, they have improved the offense vastly over last years forward group, the kids have finally arrived. Monahan might be the best Flames center since Peplinski....LOL!

They might not fill the net, but this roster will not go down early, there will be not to many *easy* games against this group.

@jammer2  Yah, you may be right there! They sure put up a good fight against the Caps yesterday before giving up their 3-goal lead, was quite surprising. Watched them vs Blue Jackets tonite & their spunk, fire & aggression was sure not lacking. Stajan out gave Sean a great chance to shine, getting his first goal. I'm also liking their new backup 'tender Joey MacDonald, he was pretty solid for them tonite, I was impressed.

@goalnut3133  Nice to see Joey McDonald getting some chances early on. What a hard working professional that guy is. I'm wondering how the former NHL/KHL goalie Ramo does, he stunk it up in his last NHL stint, but supposedly learnt a lot in his 3 year KHL stint. In this particular case, the KHL worked as a developmental league for this prospect. I suspect we will see more of this, just like Kusnetsov is developing for the Caps over the pond.

• Like 1