Big Holmgren fan here checking in to say...

rickmac19

He's done.

This dog won't hunt, and Homer trained the dog.

I don't think he made any crazy moves in and of themselves, but the math totals to a negative sum, and a big one:

Who is Luke Schenn and why did the Flyers trade JvR for him?

Why did the Flyers give Timonen a $6 million deal?

The Flyers traded Mike Richards for the blossoming Simmonds and Brayden Schenn--where's the flower there?

The Flyers traded Jeff Carter for Jake Voracek and Sean Couturier--seeming like a huge mistake at this minute

The Flyers allowed Matt Carle to "walk," for asking too much money--maybe not, considering

I think even the most ardent fan would find himself hard-pressed to sketch out what Mark Streit brings to the table

Now it looks like the Flyers might have waited too long to "pull the trigger" on any rumored offers that came in for Coburn

The Flyers signed Ilya Bryzgalov to a giant contract, precluding any other option, only to have that turn into a massive disaster

Their intuition did, however, lead them to the right move with Steve Mason (which only covered the blunder of not hanging on to see Bobrovsky develop).

Others on this forum could add more logs to this inferno. I know that Holmgren wants to win as much as any individual on the planet, and that he has tried as hard as possible. I feel shocked at where the Flyers find themselves right now as I look at their lineup on paper and even in warm-ups. Either something went fundamentally and manically wrong in that dressing room, or the Flyers and Holmgren came out the loser in most every deal they made and traded away a decent team for a struggling one. 

They can give the reins to Mr. Hextall, but this thing doesn't need stitches, it needs open-heart surgery.

• Like 4

Rick,

I was a big fan of the Homer played. That being said, he and the man at the top continue to do things the same stupid way. They keep offering favors to ex-players to come back and coach or be GM when they ARE NOT QUALIFIED to do so.  If Mr. Snider wants to win so badly, why can't he swallow his pride and ego and hire winners, or at least another view from outside of the organization?  His statement of 'We don't need a fresh perspective." told me all I needed to know.  He doesn't live in the reality of the situation. This is the same arrogance he displayed in not, for the longest time, in not drafting highly skilled Russian players. Maybe he cares but he needs to care enough to change.  He overvalues his favorites, and probably dismisses any perspective that might differ from his. The Broad Street Bullies would have to adapt their style to win today. It is NOT the same game it was, and sorry to say, he needs to get a clue. 

• Like 2

It's time for Homer to be done but he did have some good moves

Fired Stevens (I think I'm the only fan of Stevens as a coach ever but concede this move worked)

Pronger (before a freak puck to the face we had a defense and looked like contenders)

Found Leino then let him go instead of paying

Got Jagr (then let him go when he shouldn't have)

Blew up the team (richards & carter) after seeing Boston do it successfully (and I still view this as a good directional change we broke even on)

This is my point.

NO TEAM is this bad. Seriously. NONE.

Something IS... MUsT be going on. But what?

Do they all just hate homer this much? That is honestly the only thing I can think of.

If so, Giroux needs to do something. The team needs to do something. This is beyond a train wreck at this point.

This team is a holocaust.

Over rating players aside, this team isn't this bad. No one is frankly. WTF is going on?

@King Knut

What they need to do is adopt and 'us against the world' mentality, where everyone else is their enemy (including us). Learn to become mutually dependent on one another for their survival and support each other out there for crissakes. In their eyes, the worst sin should be becoming the weakest link on the team. Once they establish that, they can begin to turn this battleship around.

What they need to do is adopt and 'us against the world' mentality, where everyone else is their enemy (including us). Learn to become mutually dependent on one another for their survival and support each other out there for crissakes. In their eyes, the worst sin should be becoming the weakest link on the team

Wasn't that covered in Lake Placid during training camp?