lack of leadership

flyersfan83

i mean look at this roster, there's no leadership type of players on this roster accept for vinny and streit, giroux is no leader, jagr was the leader with giroux. this team needs leadership type of players on all four lines, im not talking all 12 players, im talking at least one vet/stanley type of player on each line that can help this young players, there's too many unproven players on this team, they need more leadership.

im not talking about getting overpaid vets, im talking about getting cheap stanley cup vet experienced players.

not to menion this team needs a stanley cup experienced coach, berube is not that guy, yeah he was with lav in the finals but it's the same system as lavy, they need a new culture type of coach from a winning/ playoff organization that knows how to win a cup.

lavy had stanley cup experience didn't seem to help them much. You said leadership type of players on all four lines? You hinted, but what players do you have in mind?

just by example because i dont know if these players are going to be resigned or not

dustin penner-won cup with la

mike rupp-won cup with devils

benn eager-won cup with blackhawks

michael handzus-won cup with blackhawks

the only player current of defense that won a cup is hal gill, not with flyers of course.

just by example because i dont know if these players are going to be resigned or not

dustin penner-won cup with la

mike rupp-won cup with devils

benn eager-won cup with blackhawks

michael handzus-won cup with blackhawks

the only player current of defense that won a cup is hal gill, not with flyers of course.

The 1st two you named, that might work out. But bringing back more ex-flyers, not sure if that would help

One way to maybe get this thing moving in the right direction. Put the C on Vinny. The man can score pass and work hard and oh yeah not afraid to drop the gloves.

We dint need another foppa type captain. VLC gets hurt too often and has for a few years. G is the captain so let him right this massive titanic of a team

ok then you give me some players then because i dont know, you dont want top fas that will kill this cap.

Mesz, Timonen, and Downie all come off the books after this season. 12 mil, from memory, not counting any increase in cap, nor resigning B Schenn. They have space, but wisdom???

We dint need another foppa type captain. VLC gets hurt too often and has for a few years. G is the captain so let him right this massive titanic of a team

G is the Captain in letter only and if you noticed I said maybe. Time to try something try anything JMO

lavy had stanley cup experience didn't seem to help them much. You said leadership type of players on all four lines? You hinted, but what players do you have in mind?

They did get to the Cup Final under Lavy...

That said, I don't think there's a lot of stock in the "Cup winner" approach to coaching. Roger Neilson may have been the best pure "coach" in terms of knowing the game "x's and o's" and innovating the job of coaching - but he didn't win a Cup.

A lot of chance and circumstance does go into who does and who doesn't win a Cup. That said, it's generally an issue of "chance" between a very small number of teams. Tortorella winning with Tampa doesn't necessarily translate into winning in New York or Vancouver. Claude Julien had never won a Cup. Neither had Quenneville.

And neither of them had any relation to the clubs they won with before they were hired.

It's hiring the right people. It's choosing the right players. It's naming the right captain.

And then it's everything coming together on the ice. But it's damn hard - if not impossible - to have the fourth part with out the first three.

And it's also growing with experience with the players around you. It's why I would have preferred to see them re-load the gun from the Penguins win/Devils loss playoff series. They had chemistry and experience from that win. Instead they went chasing other teams' players and let their own walk away for nothing.

Instead of chopping Lavy after last season, they waited three games into the next season.

And they will decide to play the players they have given millions of dollars to over the players like Lauridsen, Laughton and Cousins.

How long do you think they will play the players they have paid millions to and they are not performing before they do something drastic??? The Flyers are not a patient club.

The coach has to be right for the given group of players. Is berube that guy?? Maybe your right and the Flyers should hire a coach that has no ties to the club at this time.

you have to pick players that work well together. Why do we always end up with some locker room cancer?? Need to take more opportunities to assess players before signing them.

In regards to a captain, maybe we should have taken a captain that has more experience in the nhl, like streit who was the captain of the NYI. The experiment failed with richards, who maybe had to much pressure with the C and the big contract.

Your right with we need to develop our own players, you can't buy chemistry with a FA. In 2010  needed some minor tweaking, a better goalie and 2 d men. The 3rd pair was our downfall against the hawks.

Scotty Bowman has a great record as a coach.  But, he never claimed to be a tactical genius.  He won because he got really good players.   He's said many times that the task of a winning coach is to put the best possible combination of five on the ice each shift.  I think he's a winner because he's an excellent judge of talent and opportunity.   And, in view of the Flyers recent history of dumping promising talent,  I think we lack that judgement.

• Like 1

Scotty Bowman has a great record as a coach.  But, he never claimed to be a tactical genius.  He won because he got really good players.   He's said many times that the task of a winning coach is to put the best possible combination of five on the ice each shift.  I think he's a winner because he's an excellent judge of talent and opportunity.   And, in view of the Flyers recent history of dumping promising talent,  I think we lack that judgement.

i just think it's how they draft and how they play them, they never play best players to win, it's always playing favorites, no matter how much the player sucks, the coach keeps playing them and never gets benched.

chicago drafts the best players and plays them, that's why they won 2 stanley cups. you can say towes and kane were difference makers but the fact is they draft the best talent, the flyers do the opposite.

Edited by flyersfan83

@radoran

"They did get to the Cup Final under Lavy..."

So did the Oilers somehow on the shoulders of Fernando Pisani ..

What happened to them the following seasons....and who the hell was Fernando Pisani anyway ?

In context, the comment was a response to an assertion that Lavy being a Cup wining coach "didn't do much for them" - and the point was "aside from getting them to a Cup final."

Other than getting us to the final in 2010. What exactly did Lavy do for this team???

This isn't a "defending Lavy" experiment. This is a "reality" experiment.

The "reality" is that he did "do something" and that "something" got them to the Cup Final and that "something" had something to do with them keeping him this past summer when they likely should have gotten rid of him.

I never liked his style and I never liked his approach. I mocked his marmalade "jam" system incessantly. He can't handle goalies worth a damn. He should have been fired last April.

But "getting to a Cup Final" is a far cry from "didn't seem to help them much."