Bob listed as one of the 13 most disappointing things

fanaticV3.0

so far this season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/13-biggest-disappointments-nhl-season-180415670--nhl.html

I have to admit, he has never impressed me. He seems like a super nice guy and I hope he turns it around for his sake, but I could not care less when they got rid of him. I saw nothing special about him when he played here. I think he's capable of playing better than he is now, but I don't think he'll ever come close to his Vezina level of play again.

I will agree that Bob has been somewhat disappointing thus far with the Jackets...however, while his stats are a far cry from last year's, one has to consider that last season, he simply played way over his own head...stealing games after game for a defensively porous Columbus team.

2.77 GAA and .909 Sv % aren't exactly sterling, but honestly, those numbers COULD have been alot worse, particularly given what is currently in front of him.

Also consider he is only still 25 and won't turn 26 until NEXT September...as far as goalies go, he really hasn't hit his prime yet.

Will he be an elite goaltender? Will he ever replicate last season's numbers (SHORTENED season too, let's not forget)...maybe, maybe not.

I still hold out some hope that the guy can still be a very good NHL goaltender, if not a Vezina candidate, year after year.

I can see why he would be listed as "disappointing" after last season, but given the fact that last season wasn't a full season, he didn't see half the league, AND that possibly he and the Jackets caught many teams off guard, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion just yet that he can't do more.

More hockey yet to come this season...we will see what the Jackets do with the team to help their goalie look better than they have thus far.

• Like 2

so far this season.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/13-biggest-disappointments-nhl-season-180415670--nhl.html

I have to admit, he has never impressed me. He seems like a super nice guy and I hope he turns it around for his sake, but I could not care less when they got rid of him. I saw nothing special about him when he played here. I think he's capable of playing better than he is now, but I don't think he'll ever come close to his Vezina level of play again.

I've seen you post this a few times, and frankly, it puzzles me to no end. I know you know your stuff, but to say "he never impressed you"....that is rather odd I'd say. He is SUPER quick, very sound positionally and has a great glove hand. Legs are ELITE quick. I just don't get this, the guy literally oozes skill and competitive nature. 

• Like 1

I've seen you post this a few times, and frankly, it puzzles me to no end. I know you know your stuff, but to say "he never impressed you"....that is rather odd I'd say. He is SUPER quick, very sound positionally and has a great glove hand. Legs are ELITE quick. I just don't get this, the guy literally oozes skill and competitive nature. 

I almost cried when the Flyers traded him. He always had and still has elite skills, but is still very young in goaltender terms. He cost them nothing to get, yet they gave him away! If I were GM, he would still be a Flyer.

Athleticism doesn't mean you'll be a good player though. Outside of last year, he hasn't been a particularly special player, let alone an elite one. He's not awful or anything, I definitely think he's better than he's playing right now, but stacked up to the rest of his career, last year was the fluke.

• 4 weeks later...

this shouldn't be a surprise to anyone here. we all knew he was very very streaky. and when he was good.. he was excellent. he just never go the opportunity to play consistently enough here because every time he faltered, they panicked. 

so maybe it's the flyer's faults after all, but bob is what he is... a very streaky player. not exactly what i have in mind for a netminder.