The most disturbing trend

yave1964

The wheels falling off the Wings season that is November 2013 has been difficult to watch, though last nights game against Ottawa was a spirited fun game to watch in spite of the outcome. But here is the most difficult, most disturbing trend that I have noticed:

Teams are starting their backup goaltenders against us and resting their regulars.

For years I have watched a Ty Conklin or a Norm Maracle get the nod against the weak sisters of the league and the Wings would beat up on the lower teams. Now after all of these years it seems to have turned.

Last night Lehner in for Anderson

Carolina started Peters instead of Ward

Kevin Poulin of the Isles beat us

Al Montoya stuck it to us for the Jets

Richard Bachman started against us for the Oilers

In the last ten games you can make a case that our opponent started their backup against us in five of them, plus Joey Macdonald and Marazec faced us.

The Wings are simply no longer feared as an offensive threat that the other club has to worry about. Backup goalies starting against us every other game is an ultimate sign of disrespect, a disrespect that is well earned by our putrid play.

That said we played very well against Carolina and even last nights loss to Ottawa was a good fun game, where quite frankly we outplayed them but they outmuscled us.

We need to get it right soon, fortunately we are in the (L)Eastern conference now where parity rules the day and somehow we are still in the thick of things but this needs straightened out soon. Buffalo this afternoon is almost a must win. Sad day.

• Like 1

@yave1964

It seems the Wings have picked up the monkey that the Flyers finally shucked off their back. The Wings always used to have a farm system that supplemented the players they would lose to FA and never seemed to miss a beat but this year especially seems to be a glaring hole from the guys they have tried to plug in. I don't see it as being a coaching issue as much as a lack of the Wings usual talent.

@yave1964

Very interesting ...

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to keep up as much on my former hometown team, though.  My dad told me the Wings are having injury issues.

I hope the Wings can get off the slide soon.  I would like to see them against Boston since the Blackhawks don't play that night until I'm supposed to go to sleep since I have to work on Thanksgiving (Boooooooooooo - uuuuuuuuuuuuuurns!).

@yave1964

Indeed.  To make today's game more difficult Datsyuk will not be playing due to the hit he had on the chin last night.  Bertuzzi appears to be day to day also with a back issue.

I do though hope Howard gets on tract soon, his goalie stats have caused me to lose in my 20 team league 2 weeks in a row.   :(

@hf101

Is it just me, or is Ottawa getting to be a nasty team?  My dad thinks the Senators got away with quite a bit, also.  Datsyuk getting hit on the chin?  Ouch ...

McLean has them playing a tough game, it used to be Chris Neil and a bunch of pushovers, but now guys like Weircoch and Smith as well as a general team toughness about them makes them a team nobody wants to play, you come out of the game bumped and bruised when it is all over.  If they get their goaltending straightened out they are a deadly bunch.

@yave1964  Most of those examples you posted are indeed back-ups. As far as the Sens go, Lehner is playing the better hockey right now. I won't go as far to say Anderson has lost his job, but Lehner is putting some heat on him. I'm shocked cause I really considered Anderson a top 5 goalie in the NHL, especially after last years stellar playoff run. I still think he will turn it around, but as more time goes by, Lehner looks more and more like a viable option.

@yave1964

Don't forget that most of the teams you rattled off are in the Western Conference.  The Red Wings would often use an inter-conference game as a chance to play their backups since the points weren't as critical in the standings.  Also, Kevin Poulin came in after Nabokov was injured in the first period.  The other thing to consider is the schedule of these teams (i.e. is this the second game of a back-to-back).  I wouldn't say that the Wings are starting to lose professional respect in the league.  However, if they don't start putting together a string of victories, they will.