Rumor: HNIC to stay on CBC!

jammer2

The final pieces of the deal are presently being worked out, but it appears that the folks from Hockey Night in Canada (CBC) and the NHL are close to finalizing a stunning 10 year deal to keep hockey on CBC!!!  This is GREAT news for people like me, who grew up with HNIC being a institution in Canada. It's more than a live telecast, it's part of the very fabric of our society, and I for one am THRILLED to see it stay. I don't think TSN/CTV would have done the show justice. Every time I saw Coach's Corner this year, a little piece of me was dying, wondering how long we have to see Don Cherry and Ron McLean rambling about the going's on of the NHL. 

Christmas does indeed come once and a while, eh?

http://www.windsorstar.com/sports/hockey/Hockey+Night+Canada+staying+with+talks+with/9210748/story.html

@jammer2

Yep, good news for fans of the game. I do think it was important to have some games on free to air tv and it seems the NHL agrees. TSN gets a little more in terms of playoff games and and Sportsnet gets the Sunday night games. Seems like everyone is happy, especially the league with the increase in cash for the deal...

This is GREAT news for people like me

Me too.    I used to listen to HNIC on the radio before TV.  

CBC, IMHO, had no choice.  HNIC is a cash cow and a vital component of the tie that binds us.  Canadians especially,  but that tie includes rink rats such as me who've spent many happy nights in Canadian arenas.

Sorry, this just seems like the place... Has anyone here mentioned that Laviolette signed with the NHL network to do broadcast work for the outdoor games?

If all goes according to hoyle, he will start out the broadcast strong and peter out near the end, due to his brand of run and gun broadcasting.

• Like 1

@blocker  If the CBC let hockey walk away, I honestly believe the network would have shut down within a few years of losing the NHL. Who is gonna pay for commercials on CBC if hockey is not that way. Last I checked, Jesse and the Beachcombers are not a big draw for the commercial target age of 18-35 males....LOL!

I hope Rogers does something with Sportsnet because their production values are second-rate and their analysts are the rejects no one else wanted.

CBC is the gold standard, to me. And TSN has incredible coverage and analysis. Their production value is wonderful. Dreger, MacKenzie, et al are the best we have.

I imagine some of them will jump ship.

This is a shitty deal for CBC, no revenues from HNIC , no editorial control. only 4 years left with the brand.

enjoy it while it lasts, and hope that Rodgers doesn't ruin what is one of the finer live broadcasts in North American television.