Giroux, the next Scott Gomez?

off_the_post

@murraycraven

I just got an image of that Geico commercial about "large or in charge" and I picture a tiny Ed standing on the table screaming at Hexy, Berube and Homer:

"There's three ways to do this ..... my way, my way or my way"

Is it coincidental that the three guys in charge of the team are all former ice pugilists?

• Like 1

@murraycraven

I just got an image of that Geico commercial about "large or in charge" and I picture a tiny Ed standing on the table screaming at Hexy, Berube and Homer:

"There's three ways to do this ..... my way, my way or my way"

Is it coincidental that the three guys in charge of the team are all former ice pugilists?

LOL!!!!

Yeah ok, except I watched both of them play and that's pretty much all there is to it.

Not exactly sure what you mean by this statement?  I watched both of them play, also, and I think Gomez was the better of the two early in his career.

They played different games. Different roles on different teams.

I realize Gomez was great his first few years, decent two way guy and good at feeding Elias.

I only see a slight difference in their game/roles.  Giroux is better at stick handling and tricky moves with the puck.  Gomez was a superb passer.

I realize Gomez was great his first few years, decent two way guy and good at feeding Elias. your name suggests why you want to assert him as a more creative playmaker, but he just was a completely different Kind of player. Not better, not worse.

That's not it at all.  Of course, there is a little favoritism because I lived in AK, I will admit to that but that isn't why I think Gomez was better.  I couldn't care less who actually puts the puck in the net.  It's the play leading up to the goal that catches my attention.  In fact, after skating I think passing the puck is the most important skill on the ice.  When I was coaching youth hockey that is what I taught my players.  Good passes turns into good to playmaking.

If you want to look at numbers to satisfy your argument then that's a different argument but Giroux and young Gomez play/ayes utterly different games.

Without looking at stats, how else would you quantify your first statement..." Giroux might no be scoring a ton, but his play making and creativity is so far beyond what Gomez was ever capable of." ???

You compared apples to oranges and now you're saying to only way to compare them is to quantify them.

Because they weigh the same is an apple like an orange?

The two play totally different games.

Your argument about stats doesn't even make sense since Claude's already put more up in a year than Scott ever did. And over the last two years he's had more ppg than Scott averaged over any two years in his career.

What was your point again?

@ AlaskaFlyerFan, Wow, thanks for the reply. This was going to be my response and add in a the huge contract Gomez signed when his production started to tank just like G seems to have even though his contract kicks in next year.

Gomez signed the big contract with the Rangers in 2007 after a 60 pt season.  The first year his production went up by 10 pts.  Then he dropped back to his normal production level for the next two years (58, 59) before it dropped off.  His production dropped off in his 4th yr of contract (2nd year in Montreal).  I think that his drop off had more to do with playing in Montreal than it did with the contract.  He had a bad 2010-11 season and then his role changed.

As far as Giroux goes, I think his slow start was due to the hand injury/surgery and missing training camp.  That affected his confidence.  He is recovering his form and should be back to his old way soon (typed that with fingers crossed). :D

You compared apples to oranges and now you're saying to only way to compare them is to quantify them.

Because they weigh the same is an apple like an orange?

The two play totally different games.

Not apples to oranges.  Both played both center & wing, both played in the same division in the Eastern Conference.  You posted a statement but have provided nothing to back it up.

Your argument about stats doesn't even make sense since Claude's already put more up in a year than Scott ever did. And over the last two years he's had more ppg than Scott averaged over any two years in his career.

You (kind of) got me there on the first half of your statement.  Giroux had 9 pts more in one season than Gomez ever had.

I only used the first 4 yrs of their careers and you're using a lockout shortened season stats...now you're comparing apples to oranges!! :D

What was your point again?

My point hasn't changed.  Pay attention, Man!! ;) I think Gomez was a better player through the first 4 yrs of their careers.  Beyond that, we have yet to see.

Obviously, we are going to have to agree to disagree on this. 

Giroux is a puck carrying stick handling transition guy who makes plays from all parts of the ice and manufactures open ice where none existed who can also score from the point on a regular basis. He gradually increased his point total over his first four years until last year which was still none the less on par for 82 in a full season.

Gomez was more of a straight skating line reading passer who often got assists from a stationary position and who made a big splash his rookie year and then his point totals gradually decreased until they suddenly peaked again in the mid eighties when he was in his late 20's.

You want to quantify it it, just look at their year to year totals and see thy their point totals are on completely different trajectories. In addition, Giroux tends to score a few more goals than Gomez.

All that said, Gomez never saw completely out of character lows until he was traded to Montreal. Even in NY his totals were akin to what they were many of go years with the devils and Better than some.

Giroux is having an off year and still leading his team in points, which is indicative of the total offense problem we lived through and still struggle with now.

My statement is officially backed up now an I'm moving on.

Not apples to oranges. Both played both center & wing, both played in the same division in the Eastern Conference. You posted a statement but have provided nothing to back

Obviously, we are going to have to agree to disagree on this.