Giroux, the next Scott Gomez?

off_the_post

I like the kid and I see he can play in all situations but he is just not getting the job done.  I hope he just didn't have a good few years and will then turn out to be some albatross. Anyway just a thought I had last night over some bevies.  I hope not. I am hoping he returns to form.

I'll leave you with that. I tee off in 20 minutes so got to run.

Actually, that's looking plausible right now. If you're making that money, you need to perform. I consider myself patient and considerate, but enough is enough. He's hurting the team with poor defensive play, blind passes, and lackluster leadership. Where's Pronger to yell Giroux's ear when he really needs it? It happened and helped before...

I like the kid and I see he can play in all situations but he is just not getting the job done.  I hope he just didn't have a good few years and will then turn out to be some albatross. Anyway just a thought I had last night over some bevies.  I hope not. I am hoping he returns to form.

God, I hope not. I actually liked Gomez and wanted him instead of Briere, but damn did he crap  out early.

If I were in charge, I would surround him with as much help and talent as possible. He's one of those guys who can and should be your best (offensive) player, but he's not capable of doing it all.

Actually, that's looking plausible right now. If you're making that money, you need to perform. I consider myself patient and considerate, but enough is enough. He's hurting the team with poor defensive play, blind passes, and lackluster leadership. Where's Pronger to yell Giroux's ear when he really needs it? It happened and helped before...

THIS!

Giroux is a point per game in November after a coaching change and presumably a drastic change to systems.  It seems to me that he and Couturier (not exactly in that order) are catching on quicker than everyone else (at least among forwards).  Give it time and then change some pieces that can't make the adjustments later.  I have no concern about Giroux long term (but what do I know?).

Pro sports salaries are stupid - if you can't get used to that idea, then don't go to capgeek.

The issues I have with Giroux are w/out the puck.  Numerous times he has missed a defensive assignment and/or is dogging it on the backcheck.   His board play this year is flat-oput unacceptable.   While I think he needs better players on his line he is still not where he should be as the Captain and 8M dollar man...

I hope he turns it aroundbut for me to say I am not worried about this contract is an understatement.  

The issues I have with Giroux are w/out the puck. Numerous times he has missed a defensive assignment and/or is dogging it on the backcheck. His board play this year is flat-oput unacceptable. While I think he needs better players on his line he is still not where he should be as the Captain and 8M dollar man...

I hope he turns it aroundbut for me to say I am not worried about this contract is an understatement.

Fully agreed, his lack of defensive responsibility really pisses me off.

Scott Gomez could never do what Giroux is doing. Giroux might no be scori g a ton, but his play making and creativity is so far beyond what Gomez was ever capable of. Not even close to what he was ever asked to do.

The comparison is useless

I like the kid and I see he can play in all situations but he is just not getting the job done. I hope he just didn't have a good few years and will then turn out to be some albatross. Anyway just a thought I had last night over some bevies. I hope not. I am hoping he returns to form.

Scott Gomez could never do what Giroux is doing. Giroux might no be scori g a ton, but his play making and creativity is so far beyond what Gomez was ever capable of. Not even close to what he was ever asked to do.

The comparison is useless

@King Knut,

You might want to go look at some stats.  They don't support your argument, as you said, "not even close".  To be fair, look at the first 4 yrs of each player (only because Giroux's 5th year was the lockout last year).

Giroux - 27 pts in his rookie year.  Only played 42 games.

Gomez - Calder trophy. 70 pts in his rookie year.

Giroux - Two seasons with more than 50 pts in his first 4 years.

Gomez - over 50 pts three times in his first four years.

Giroux - Played in the Finals one time.

Gomez - 2 Stanley Cup rings. Played in the Finals three times.

To me, playmaking & creativity shows up as assists in the stats (you may disagree).

Giroux - 100 assists.

Gomez - 180 assists (100 assists in first 2 yrs).

Your argument is useless.

Yeah ok, except I watched both of them play and that's pretty much all there is to it.

They played different games. Different roles on different teams.

I realize Gomez was great his first few years, decent two way guy and good at feeding Elias. your name suggests why you want to assert him as a more creative playmaker, but he just was a completely different Kind of player. Not better, not worse.

It would be like me suggesting Gus is the next Coburn. They're just different players playing different games.

If you want to look at numbers to satisfy yor argument then that's a different argument but Giroux and young Gomez play/ayes utterly different games.

@King Knut,

You might want to go look at some stats. They don't support your argument, as you said, "not even close". To be fair, look at the first 4 yrs of each player (only because Giroux's 5th year was the lockout last year).

Giroux - 27 pts in his rookie year. Only played 42 games.

Gomez - Calder trophy. 70 pts in his rookie year.

Giroux - Two seasons with more than 50 pts in his first 4 years.

Gomez - over 50 pts three times in his first four years.

Giroux - Played in the Finals one time.

Gomez - 2 Stanley Cup rings. Played in the Finals three times.

To me, playmaking & creativity shows up as assists in the stats (you may disagree).

Giroux - 100 assists.

Gomez - 180 assists (100 assists in first 2 yrs).

Your argument is useless.

@ AlaskaFlyerFan, Wow, thanks for the reply. This was going to be my response and add in a the huge contract Gomez signed when his production started to tank just like G seems to have even though his contract kicks in next year.

Edited by off_the_post

I'm not sure it can be explained, but this organization is a Bermuda Triangle for players once they sign a big long-term contract.

" wash-rinse-repeat "

The Flyers continue to do this over and over again. Giroux looks like Richards part II. A young player has a great year and promising future, so they rush him to being Captain and sign him to a huge contract, only to see his play (or leadership) falter. I can't figure out why they just can't let things develop. Maybe its because Ed is impatient.

They seem to adopt this same mantra with signing aging veterans, players who they previously let go, coaches who were either former Flyers or former coaches, and GM's who were the same.

It's beyond frustrating. they need to change their paradigm

• Like 1