What about McGinn?

The Quigster

Just read a piece from Fat Frankie interviewing Chief on the web. Big week coming up three games in four nights gotta' keep the guys balanced,blah,blah. Anybody here wonder why McGinn,when he is here doesn't play much,blink you eyes and he is gone. McGinn seems to have the skills that are in short supply with the Flyers(talent&balls). Maybe it would be a good time to lower ticket prices?

I'm one of the people that think the McGinn player type is a dime a dozen. He's a 3rd liner tops with some grit. The Flyers have plenty of those throughout the system. I like the kid but he is what he is. I remember reading an article by Bill Meltzer I think, talking to a scout about McGinn, And the Scout said that McGinn is an average player that is now what he's going to be. Not much upside

• Like 2

If they are going to do as they've done previously and bring him up and not play him, I'd just as soon keep him in the AHL.   He doesn't help the club from the press box and that does nothing for any possible development.

I read the article @ referenced (someone posted it here).   That may certainly be the case, but when we have a bunch of injuries like we did when Read, Downie and (I think) Raffl were out, I still think dressing him in favor of Rosehill is not a bad idea.

@doom88    Yeah, they seemed to be competing for the same roster spot.  At this point (I was previously clearly wrong, for the record), if it comes down to Raffl vs. McGinn you have to go with Raffl.  Raffl has earned his stay at this point.

If they are going to do as they've done previously and bring him up and not play him, I'd just as soon keep him in the AHL.   He doesn't help the club from the press box and that does nothing for any possible development.

I read the article @ referenced (someone posted it here).   That may certainly be the case, but when we have a bunch of injuries like we did when Read, Downie and (I think) Raffl were out, I still think dressing him in favor of Rosehill is not a bad idea.

@doom88    Yeah, they seemed to be competing for the same roster spot.  At this point (I was previously clearly wrong, for the record), if it comes down to Raffl vs. McGinn you have to go with Raffl.  Raffl has earned his stay at this point.

I thik a corpse is better then Rosehill. What irritates me about the Flyers is, If you're going to have a fighter on the roster, why do they keep getting mediocre ones? Instead of Rosehill a couple years ago, they just should have got McGrattan for around the same price and IS a heavyweight that can do the job better. Rosehill, Shelley,Sestito,Rinaldo, are not great fighters. Another thing that pissed me off is, they dumped Asham, who wasn't bad here, then chase after guy's to do that job, who arent as good as he was.

Rinaldo is more than a fighter, and isn't a heavyweight. I wanted the Flyers to get Konopka when he was available. Rosehill, meh, but better than Cote.

LOL!  Sad times if the criteria is "must be better than Cote."

By the way, I agree:  he IS better than Cote (a lot, actually)

Just read a piece from Fat Frankie interviewing Chief on the web. Big week coming up three games in four nights gotta' keep the guys balanced,blah,blah. Anybody here wonder why McGinn,when he is here doesn't play much,blink you eyes and he is gone. McGinn seems to have the skills that are in short supply with the Flyers(talent&balls). Maybe it would be a good time to lower ticket prices?

Wait, you mean

I'm one of the people that think the McGinn player type is a dime a dozen. He's a 3rd liner tops with some grit. The Flyers have plenty of those throughout the system. I like the kid but he is what he is. I remember reading an article by Bill Meltzer I think, talking to a scout about McGinn, And the Scout said that McGinn is an average player that is now what he's going to be. Not much upside

So are Rinaldo, Vandevelde, and Raffl but that doesn't stop them from giving those players a chance over McGinn.

Wait, you mean

So are Rinaldo, Vandevelde, and Raffl but that doesn't stop them from giving those players a chance over McGinn.

Rinaldo is on the team for hitting and fighting, with limited ability elsewhere, but he's better at the hitting game then McGinn.. VanDevelde and Raffl are better defensively, thats why there here. They all are better at what they do then McGinn IMO.

When Downie, Read, and Raffl were hurt, playing him is a little more than "not a bad idea", it should be a no brainers, especially if the other options are Rosehill and Rinaldo.

Just looked it up and Raffl and McGinn both have a  .36ppg avg. That made me laugh I agree Raffl has earned a spot for now, but I still say he's not here long term. I just see Ville Leino all over again. Of all the guys who have shown flashes or people get attached to in my time as a fan, I can't think of one of them that actually lasts that long. These later developers, have the week of their career types, just scare me.

That being said, I'd be playing both him and McGinn right now if I'm calling the shots.

Rinaldo is on the team for hitting and fighting, with limited ability elsewhere, but he's better at the hitting game then McGinn.. VanDevelde and Raffl are better defensively, thats why there here. They all are better at what they do then McGinn IMO.

I can give you Raffl, but there's no defending Raffl or Vandvelde. That's just sad to watch you try and justify their presence.

I can give you Raffl, but there's no defending Raffl or Vandvelde. That's just sad to watch you try and justify their presence.

McGinn got a shot, so later VandeVelde got a chance. No biggie there. Rinaldo is established as a very fast agitator and developing PK guy.

Someone here speculated that McGinn might have a character issue or something that isn't public. Which would make sense.

Well, McGinn is a team-worst -10 with Adirondack (along with top scorer Akeson who has 34 pts in 38 games, yet still -10).

In any case, there's clearly something the coaching and scouting staff don't like about McGinn. Or, rather, there's something about the other players that make them higher on the depth chart than McGinn.

• Like 1

In any case, there's clearly something the coaching and scouting staff don't like about McGinn. Or, rather, there's something about the other players that make them higher on the depth chart than McGinn.

I think this is clearly the case. 

I only get to watch on TV, so it's hard sometimes to accurately judge what someone is doing away from the puck.  And obviously TV doesn't show what is going on at practice or down at the A or whatever else.  You have to figure there's something there that isn't readily noticed in the television frame.

The bring him up, don't play him, send him down has been repeated enough that I think it's fair to assume that "they" don't see something they like at the NHL level.  I'm fine with that.    Trade him for Ellison and be done with it.  :)

Well, McGinn is a team-worst -10 with Adirondack (along with top scorer Akeson who has 34 pts in 38 games, yet still -10).

Hitchcock didn't like Sharp either.

Somebody in Buffalo's org liked Leino quite a bit too.

McGinn got a shot, so later VandeVelde got a chance. No biggie there. Rinaldo is established as a very fast agitator and developing PK guy.

Someone here speculated that McGinn might have a character issue or something that isn't public. Which would make sense.

Rinaldo....established? This does not compute.

Rinaldo and Rosehill have no business playing as much as they do imo.

Really should have stopped with Sharp.  : :D

It goes both ways. Sometimes coaches or GMs don't like a player's game and he's not given much of a chance, while others they throw way too much at him far too early in his career. My point is the whole "we don't like him" argument is crap. Judge him based on what he does on the ice and do it rationally, not by what you think he "might be". Shooting your load over a guy like Leino (after one season) is as stupid as never giving a guy a chance (like sharp).

I like Rinaldo and think he's a solid fit as a fourth line energy guy, who is adding value with PK.

What does he do that the team can't live without? McGinn is an energy guy too and he'll score more than Rinaldo. Is Rinaldo's "PK abilities" so good he warrants a spot over a guy who is simply a better player?

What does he do that the team can't live without? McGinn is an energy guy too and he'll score more than Rinaldo. Is Rinaldo's "PK abilities" so good he warrants a spot over a guy who is simply a better player?

If McGinn was such a better player, why can't he crack the lineup? Simple, he isn't. Rinaldo is faster too.

It goes both ways. Sometimes coaches or GMs don't like a player's game and he's not given much of a chance, while others they throw way too much at him far too early in his career. My point is the whole "we don't like him" argument is crap. Judge him based on what he does on the ice and do it rationally, not by what you think he "might be". Shooting your load over a guy like Leino (after one season) is as stupid as never giving a guy a chance (like sharp).

Oh.  Yeah, sorry, I missed where you were going there.   Fair point.

Here's the thing i can't get past with regard to McGinn,  he's not a good skater, we have enough of those on the roster and those guys have a lot more talent.  I don't care that he goes to the net,  when he was here he didn't win too many board battles which is what you want your big bodied bangers to be able to do.  He is not ready, and may never be more than an organizational depth player.  he's not exactly lighting up the A, so stop it with comparing him to Patrick Sharp.  Anyone could see Sharp had talent , and when he cared, which was about every 4th shift as a Flyer, he showed something . 

Maybe he does a cycle and gets faster or something but the guy that was here for a couple of weeks and scored a couple of goals isn't going to help this team where it needs help: on defense and overall team speed.

Whenever this Flyers group as assembled now plays against a team that has speed and forechecks well they're going to be ****ed. 

It's not effort or lack there of, or heart or any other of the bullshit cliches I read here after they gets smoked and look bad.  Its speed ,Tye McGinn doesn't help with that one bit.  

• Like 1

If McGinn was such a better player, why can't he crack the lineup? Simple, he isn't. Rinaldo is faster too.

Patrick Sharp couldn't crack the lineup here either. Someone in the organIzation (I think Clarke) thought Hartnell, Vanek, and Leino were worth what their getting paid too.

Edited by fanaticV3.0