Luke Schenn Blog for the Haters

lespauljr2006

Didn't we trade Leighton+ for Mason? That's all I was getting at. People won't scrutinize the Mason trade as much because we sent garbage the other way. But the JVR/Schenn scrutiny will last for a while.

I really think you can chalk it up as basically Mason for Bobrovsky. With assorted nonsense in addition.

Flyers got Mason, a 2nd (Stolarz) and 2 4ths for Bobrovsky, Leighton and a 5th

And one of those 4ths got us the warm fuzzies of Gagne's swan song!

If Stolarz pans out long term, there might be an argument for "winning" that exchange in the long run. :D

I really think you can chalk it up as basically Mason for Bobrovsky. With assorted nonsense in addition.

Flyers got Mason, a 2nd (Stolarz) and 2 4ths for Bobrovsky, Leighton and a 5th

And one of those 4ths got us the warm fuzzies of Gagne's swan song!

If Stolarz pans out long term, there might be an argument for "winning" that exchange in the long run. :D

I'm willing to call it a win now no matter what Stolarz does. I actually don't have a problem Mason vs Bob. But the clincher is that whatever trade got Lettingin out of the Flyers organization is a win

I'm willing to call it a win now no matter what Stolarz does. I actually don't have a problem Mason vs Bob. But the clincher is that whatever trade got Lettingin out of the Flyers organization is a win

My only caveat there is that Lettingin would have eventually been on waivers and thus a risk to return.

Otherwise +1!!!

Didn't we trade Leighton+ for Mason? That's all I was getting at. People won't scrutinize the Mason trade as much because we sent garbage the other way. But the JVR/Schenn scrutiny will last for a while.

I always looked at is as a Mason vs. Bob thing, but that's not my point.

I just found it weird that he could criticize one player, the better one, but not the other. I don't look at it as who they were traded for, but how they are playing.

@fanaticV3.0'3.0

The problem was JVR didn't fair well in Philly because he was picked 2nd in the '07 draft behind the guy who should have been in Philly, Patrick Kane. I think a lot of Flyers fans and management thought that he'd turn out to be a version of Kane but JVR didn't and Flyers management didn't have to patience to wait and see if he would.  When the JVR/Schenn trade went down I thought for sure Holmgren would be getting Schenn + for JVR but Burke took him to the cleaners and now JVR is blossoming in Toronto where Schenn is panning into the Foote-type defenseman we were hoping for. It's been said time and time again on here, I think it's time for Holmgren to resign or get fired and let someone else build this team. 

@fanaticV3.0'3.0

The problem was JVR didn't fair well in Philly because he was picked 2nd in the '07 draft behind the guy who should have been in Philly, Patrick Kane. I think a lot of Flyers fans and management thought that he'd turn out to be a version of Kane but JVR didn't and Flyers management didn't have to patience to wait and see if he would.  When the JVR/Schenn trade went down I thought for sure Holmgren would be getting Schenn + for JVR but Burke took him to the cleaners and now JVR is blossoming in Toronto where Schenn is panning into the Foote-type defenseman we were hoping for. It's been said time and time again on here, I think it's time for Holmgren to resign or get fired and let someone else build this team. 

Patrick Kane was put onto the top line in Chicago with Toews and left there. he potted 20+ in his first two seasons and then blossomed.

JVR was always seen as more of a project (see: Morin, Samuel) and would take time to develop. He scored 15 in his first season and 20+ in his second then 11 in 43 games his third, injury season - not seeing many significant top 6 minutes, much less top line.

Quite frankly, I'm not surprised that JVR didn't "blossom" in Philadelphia. Neither did Sharp. Odd that when guys who were "disappointing" and "unmotivated" here were put into positions to succeed with other teams, they succeeded.

Unfortunately, that's the consistent story of the Flyers' "development" program. Going back to 1998 (Simon Gagne) who have the Flyers developed and kept?

Right now? Claude Giroux and Sean Couturier. Over 16 years.

Oh, and Zac Rinaldo.

@fanaticV3.0'3.0

I don't know what people's expectations of JVR were, but I don't think he was unfairly judged when here. His production here was nothing special. He was largely lethargic outside of that one PO run. I do think Homer got fleeced in the trade, but I had no problem trading him based on his performance here. I also don't think JVR would have blossomed her. I think the trade was a wake up call for him.

I get your reasoning, but I wouldn't look at it that way because Bob was moved after Homer backed himself into a 9-year corner. It was not a hockey trade. If they had swapped goalies, fine. But he went shopping for Mason after the fact because his 9-year plan backfired very publicly, and he no longer had a decent goalie in the system.

I get your reasoning, but I wouldn't look at it that way because Bob was moved after Homer backed himself into a 9-year corner. It was not a hockey trade. If they had swapped goalies, fine. But he went shopping for Mason after the fact because his 9-year plan backfired very publicly, and he no longer had a decent goalie in the system.

Yeah, but I just don't think that Columbus gives away Mason to the Flyers for Lettingin and a 3rd if the Bob trade hadn't become to look as lopsided as it was.

Other than that, I completely agree with you.