Luke Schenn Blog for the Haters

lespauljr2006

To say we lost out on trade may be the biggest understatement of the past 3 years.   I can't take watching him play honestly.   How he was drafted so high is mind boggling.  

I know Murray.  It is actually painful to watch him and not break the tv with some large object...  Man is that bad!

They were talking about him on Preston and Steve this morning.

Jackson was a guest and one of the hosts said point blank "What's the deal with Luke Schenn?" JJ played dumb and said "What is the deal with Luke Schenn?" The host went on to saying he looks like he's skating in mud and Jackson was all, "Well that's not his game. His game is hitting, blocking shots, etc." He noted he's third in the league in hits, which I didn't realize.

Wow, this is great, Looks to be started when he was in Toronto.

Too Bad Homer did not google  search  luke shenn sucks before trading JVR...

http://www.talk-sports.net/nhl/sucks.aspx/Luke_Schenn

What did I just read? Ugh. I made the mistake of clicking a few links on the side (Hartnell's is like a huge lovefest, and Giroux's is all these women attacking each other on whether or not he's cheating or some other nonsense I couldn't be bothered to figure out).

Jackson was a guest and one of the hosts said point blank "What's the deal with Luke Schenn?" JJ played dumb and said "What is the deal with Luke Schenn?" The host went on to saying he looks like he's skating in mud and Jackson was all, "Well that's not his game. His game is hitting, blocking shots, etc." He noted he's third in the league in hits, which I didn't realize.

Schenn has 148 hits. That's good for 11th in the league. Third is 20 hits more than he has. In three fewer games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/byposition?pos=C,RW,LW,D&conference=NHL&year=season_2013&qualified=1&sort=16

He is third - amongst defensemen.

And Jackson is essentially saying they gave up a 20-goal scorer "with potential" for a mucker and grinder who hits and blocks shots.

In terms of shot blocking, he has 59. Which is behind Streit, Coburn, Timonen and Grossmann.and about 100 other NHL defensemen. For that matter, JVR has more hits (85) than Luke Schenn. Oh, and has already scored 20 this season.

I don't need platitudes and statsitical games from announcers paid to apologize for the team.

I am almost positive he lead the league in hitting the year he was traded here.   Sadly, this is the only thing I see from him.  

He led defencemen in hits, yes. He was 7th overall.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/byposition?pos=C,RW,LW,D&conference=NHL&year=season_2011&qualified=1&sort=16

Schenn has 148 hits. That's good for 11th in the league. Third is 20 hits more than he has. In three fewer games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/stats/byposition?pos=C,RW,LW,D&conference=NHL&year=season_2013&qualified=1&sort=16

He is third - amongst defensemen.

And Jackson is essentially saying they gave up a 20-goal scorer "with potential" for a mucker and grinder who hits and blocks shots.

In terms of shot blocking, he has 59. Which is behind Streit, Coburn, Timonen and Grossmann.and about 100 other NHL defensemen. For that matter, JVR has more hits (85) than Luke Schenn. Oh, and has already scored 20 this season.

I don't need platitudes and statsitical games from announcers paid to apologize for the team.

Ooooh, that's dirty pool. Not cool JJ. Not cool at all. I could be wrong, but I don't believe he said "amongst defensemen".

The really funny thing was that he had no problem pointing out Mason has struggled compared to his earlier play. He could criticize Mason, but really went to great lengths to defense Schenn and his horribleness.

Edited by fanaticV3.0

The really funny thing was that he had no problem pointing out Mason has struggled compared to his earlier play. He could criticize Mason, but really went to great lengths to defense Schenn and his horribleness.

If I had to guess it's because nobody compares Mason to Leighton ;)

JVR was not well handled in Philly. And we're paying for that with a subpar 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman.

I really can't believe that JVR has more hit than Schenn. Based on what I remember, I'd say one of Schenn's hits is easily worth 2-3 charmin' soft JVR hits. Still don't make it a good trade, though.

I really can't believe that JVR has more hit than Schenn. Based on what I remember, I'd say one of Schenn's hits is easily worth 2-3 charmin' soft JVR hits. Still don't make it a good trade, though.

I think we might also call into question how "Toronto" counts "hits" in their building and take into account how that potential inflation might have affected Schenn's "leading" numbers.

• Like 1

I think we might also call into question how "Toronto" counts "hits" in their building and take into account how that potential inflation might have affected Schenn's "leading" numbers.

Kind of like Mike Richter's shots stopped in New York?...

http://brodeurisafraud.blogspot.com/2011/11/why-mike-richter-might-be-overrated.html

Edited by flyerrod
  • Like 1

To say we lost out on trade may be the biggest understatement of the past 3 years.   I can't take watching him play honestly.   How he was drafted so high is mind boggling.  

Most disappointing defenseman I've seen on the Flyers since Yani ,The Booger, Pitkanen. The only thing I can say is Schenn isn't lazy like Pitkanen, he's juts not that talented

Most disappointing defenseman I've seen on the Flyers since Yani ,The Booger, Pitkanen. The only thing I can say is Schenn isn't lazy like Pitkanen, he's juts not that talented

No doubt Zezel... not doubt.

Edited by murraycraven

But did you really expect JJ to grill the Flyer?  He is employed by the Flyers and I am yet to hear him EVER say one critical word about the Flyers in general.  And I *do* like JJ as an announcer, but once in a while you can afford to be objective, I think.

If I had to guess it's because nobody compares Mason to Leighton ;)

JVR was not well handled in Philly. And we're paying for that with a subpar 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman.

I found it weird JJ went to such lengths to defend Schenn, but gladly called out Mason on his drop in play. He has cooled off, but he's still better than Schenn, who he was defending. That is what I was saying. I'm not sure what Leighton has to do with this?

The JVR trade wasn't handled well, I don't disagree with that. But he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire here either. Aside from a 10-11 game stretch, he was mostly lethargic. I don't have a problem with trading a guy like that. I have a problem with what we got in return, but not with trading him. I personally think he's blossoming in part because he was traded. It was his wake up call.

The JVR trade wasn't handled well, I don't disagree with that. But he wasn't exactly lighting the world on fire here either. Aside from a 10-11 game stretch, he was mostly lethargic. I don't have a problem with trading a guy like that. I have a problem with what we got in return, but not with trading him. I personally think he's blossoming in part because he was traded. It was his wake up call.

I'll take a "lethargic" 20-goal scorer over a "disappointing" 3/4 dman eight days out of seven.

I have no problem trading JVR - or anybody else for that matter. Like you, I have a problem with what we got in return.

Is this where we say "Don't worry, he'll get it right next time"?

I have no problem trading JVR - or anybody else for that matter. Like you, I have a problem with what we got in return.

I swear i'm trying to be positive every day and then after watching these games like last night, it is becoming harder and harder to stomach.

There are ways to compensate for foot speed which he lacks and that comes from thinking the game better knowing where to be, where the puck will be, not chasing a check only to get out of position, communicating with your fellow Dmen things of that nature.

All things that for example made guys like Adam Foote so good who was never fleet of foot but yet as he got older and slower his thinking of the game just got better and better as he gained experience the cerebral part of his game made of for other deteriorating parts of his game, which surely prolonged his career.

From a cerebral stand point i just don't see that with Luke.

Just don't and that more than anything is what scares me.

Now for the record i'm in no way saying Luke is Adam Foote just trying to find a good game type comparison. Trying too.... :ph34r:

That is what I was saying. I'm not sure what Leighton has to do with this?

Didn't we trade Leighton+ for Mason? That's all I was getting at. People won't scrutinize the Mason trade as much because we sent garbage the other way. But the JVR/Schenn scrutiny will last for a while.