Has Torts lost the room?

hf101

Yeah H. Sedin, Santorelli, and Bieska are injured ... But the Canucks have lost the last 7 going into the Olympic break.  The team can't score and they can't hold a lead, ...so has the team quit on the coach?  Will Torts be the next coach fired?  Do they need to make a trade before the deadline, or should they wait until the off season to revamp the team?

I'm not sure, but I gotta say I was actually thinking about this yesterday.

Like you mentioned, they do have some injury issues.  But I do think this is on the coach.  He was lousy, quite frankly, in NY and he's lousy there.  I don't think he "lost" the room, but only because I'm not entirely convinced that he ever had it.

• Like 1

@hf101   I'm shocked at how badly Daniel Sedin has fallen off the grid. A whopping 2 assists in the past month, I know his brother is hurt, BUT...is he that attached at the hip that he is literally useless without him??  I've said all along, these twins SUCK. They don't take it to the next level during the playoffs. Putting all your eggs in their basket is a huge mistake, I'd trade them both and start the whole damn process over again. Not sure who could afford both of them, or what you would get back....but they are not the answer the Nucks fans have been seeking. How many chances are they going to give them.....do they just live with it until they both retire. Now that I think of it, they will both have to retire at the same time, no? It's not like one of them can play without the other one...right?  Outrageous!!!

Never thought that Fonzie would work out with the 'nucks.  I don't think that his antics and temper work well with star players in the NHL, so I have a feeling that players like the Sedins and Kessler are not very responsive to him.  I have no proof of that, just my humble opinion.

All I know is in my pay league I traded for the two Sedin brothers (Sisters?) and paid dearly for it only to see them in their combined longest streak without a goal in the clubs history. Ugh.

I chatted with a few Canuck fans in the offseason who were convinced that Dallas Eakins was going to take the Vancouver job and I irritated them by pointing out that it is no longer a prime coaching location. The team is aging and the fans have big expectations and the club is on a cycle of frustration (See Red Wings, Detroit) with very little in the system and a collection of aging veterans. Eakins, I was sure would sign with either the Stars or the Oilers. I actually won twenty bucks on that one.

Vancouver is in trouble, they resigned the Sedins so they are married to them as they grow older and slip more and more, they kept Bobby Lu and dealt the much younger Schneider. They keep adding other teams retreads hoping to catch lightning in a bottle, some hit, like Santorelli but guys like Zac Dalpe and Tom Sestito could be had for nothing for a reason.

IMHO I believe this club is going nowhere fast, if they are lucky they might sneak into the first round and then get sent home early (See red wings, Detroit) but unlike Detroit who has a ton of NHL ready players coming fast the Canucks have nothing, They need to at least entertain trading Bieksa who has a no trade contract but has said he would wave it to the right team and even consider trading Kessler. They have done a good job picking the bottom of other teams barrels with guys like Stanton from the Hawks and I love the deal for Diaz, a puck moving d-man but there are much bigger problems here than Torts and his antics.

Never thought that Fonzie would work out with the 'nucks.  I don't think that his antics and temper work well with star players in the NHL adults, so I have a feeling that players like the Sedins and Kessler are not very responsive to him.  I have no proof of that, just my humble opinion.

Fixed it.

This thread is hilarious.  Fire the coach?  Are you kidding me?  What the hell do you want Torts to do?  In my opinion he's got more out of this team than Vigneault did at any point in the last 2 years.  They play for him, they just suck.  I've been a huge defender of the Sedins throughout their entire careers, but I'm done.  Daniel has not been the same since Duncan Keith's disgusting elbow, that basically went unpunished and  don't think the "old Daniel" is ever coming back.  Garrison has a groin problem, but his contract is garbage.  Kevin Bieksa is a legendary contract year player an has been brutal this year.  Edler was the one piece to move and Gillis hits him with a NTC, he's been garbage.  Burrows has had one of the worst seasons I've ever seen by anyone, but at least he plays his ass off.  Jannik Hansen.... Garbage.  Just go through the lineup, it's insane.  Yeah, a lot of injuries but this team wasn't going anywhere before that started.  Ryan Kesler is the only guy on this team I'm against trading, he's burnt out as he's been carrying every as[ect pf this team all year playing 30 minutes a night, yet he's still producing.  

This team needs a huge shakeup of the core, and it start with the firing of Mike Gillis, who has done a pathetic job with this team.

@BrowntoBure

I agree with about everything you said, especially the point about Gillis. Like I said the club has bigger problems than Torts, lack of lower end talent being the number one culprit. Their top six is still solid, I feel they kept the wrong goalie but Luongo is still a damn solid NHLer, and when healthy the top four on the blue line stack up nicely.

The problem is lack of prospects and a rotten 3rd and 4th line. Trading Weise hurts that a bit but Diaz did a good job a few years ago on the point for the Habs and should be a great addition to the depth on the blue line.

So no, like I said Torts is not the problem, as you pointed out Gillis is. Next to Garth Snow on the Island he may have done the worst job of any GM in the game. The who is getting traded thing between Schneider and Luongo drug on for too long by YEARS and all they got was a first rounder, pathetic. I feel that one of the big boys has to go to fill several holes. Short of that, they are a lower end playoff contender on the decline. Not Torts fault at all, he inherited a bad bunch.

Saying that the GM in Vancouver has done a lousy job is true.

But one of the horrible choices he's made was the coach he hired.

Saying that the food in Socchi is bad doesn't make it wrong to say the water sucks.

The GM in Vancouver is horrible and they have the wrong head coach. Gillis wins the fault game between the two since he's also responsible for getting the wrong coach (especially since it should have been obvious he was the wrong coach even before he started).

Fire both and start over.

This thread is hilarious. Fire the coach? Are you kidding me? What the hell do you want Torts to do? In my opinion he's got more out of this team than Vigneault did at any point in the last 2 years. They play for him, they just suck. I've been a huge defender of the Sedins throughout their entire careers, but I'm done. Daniel has not been the same since Duncan Keith's disgusting elbow, that basically went unpunished and don't think the "old Daniel" is ever coming back. Garrison has a groin problem, but his contract is garbage. Kevin Bieksa is a legendary contract year player an has been brutal this year. Edler was the one piece to move and Gillis hits him with a NTC, he's been garbage. Burrows has had one of the worst seasons I've ever seen by anyone, but at least he plays his ass off. Jannik Hansen.... Garbage. Just go through the lineup, it's insane. Yeah, a lot of injuries but this team wasn't going anywhere before that started. Ryan Kesler is the only guy on this team I'm against trading, he's burnt out as he's been carrying every as[ect pf this team all year playing 30 minutes a night, yet he's still producing.

This team needs a huge shakeup of the core, and it start with the firing of Mike Gillis, who has done a pathetic job with this team.

The weird thing is that your post is intended to defend Torts, yet I agree with your entire post but disagree on Torts.

I just think the window was closing on this group and Torts was the last guy is get to help keep it open or get anything out /in given what we saw in New York.

I simply don't think he's a very good coach. Keenan was a great comparison.

All that said, I have to agree that firing the coach and doing nothing else would be ignoring that the even bigger problem is the GM and the poor build of the team.

I think the door has effectively closed on this group. Treat this team like an expansion outfit and trade *everything* you can, start over....and get those two useless twins out of town. When a little troll like Marchand gets in your grill and you don't respond, teams notice this and play you the same way...with no respect. I'm to lazy to look it up, but I'd like to see just how badly the *genius* Burke put this team back by getting the draft picks necessary to acquire the twins in the first place.

Choosing Luongo over Schneider was unforgivable. Not that Luongo is total crap, cause he's not, but Schneider at times last year was unbeatable, for streches he was the best goalie in the league, you will never here that about Luongo....and the age difference is huge also. The picked the wrong goalie to trade, simple as that.

I fell bad for a winner like Horvat coming into this situation. He will be a first line player in a few years, and as long as the sisters are there, he will play second fiddle.

I don't care that they *might* be a playoff team, blow this team up NOW....and hope and pray the season ticket holders understand. The results will be the same if they keep the status quo, no cup....some unmanly play from the sisters and people asking "wah happened?"

I don't see Torts as the real problem here, although he is certainly not helping things along either. This group of has beens would have failed, no matter who the coach was, Torts just brings the spotlight to a group does not need need bright lights to tell the world "we suck".