Idea for starting an NHL team in Wisconsin

Corymach7

OK, so I was wondering if someone should start a new NHL team at Wisconsin.  The city of the NHL team is Beloit, WI.  The title is the Beloit 69ers.  If there is someone good at coaching, they can choose a logo for that team.  The Beloit 69ers should be the only NHL team at Wisconsin.  Do any of you agree?

@Corymach7

Welcome to the board. Get in line for an NHL team. 69ers? Will the team consist of 13 and 14 year olds?

Actually - not that far fetched of an idea.  Benoit - far fetched.  But not Milwaukee.  I'd say Wisconsin is a "hockey state".

The Bradley Center is "only" 18 years old and seat over 17,000 for hockey.  Good sports town. The AHL Admirals would have to go.

I'd put Milwaukee ahead of Seattle and right there with KC.

69ers? Should be an interesting logo...

When I see a guy over 18 wearing #69 I immediately think "douchebag". When I see a guy under that age I immediately think "young douchebag".

I remember my girlfriends brother bought vanity plates for his car. He was really proud when he showed them off to me on his car....."PFLAPS".  First thing out of my mouth was "Your mom is going to be so proud of you".

@Corymach7

So an NHL team made up solely of NCAA players? It could work if other teams were willing to give up their college players...which isn't going to happen. So if the Beloit 69ers are trying to have a franchise based on NCAA players that are available, my guess is they end up below the Sabres. And then draft a guy who would have went 27th...1st overall, because they only want NCAA players. Sounds like a winning formula, to go along with the name.

But you'll have to wait until my hometown gets it's expansion team first...The  Big B Land Canuckistan Projectile Vomit Pigs. Kinda just rolls off the tongue, donit?

@Corymach7

So an NHL team made up solely of NCAA players? It could work if other teams were willing to give up their college players...which isn't going to happen. So if the Beloit 69ers are trying to have a franchise based on NCAA players that are available, my guess is they end up below the Sabres. And then draft a guy who would have went 27th...1st overall, because they only want NCAA players. Sounds like a winning formula, to go along with the name.

But you'll have to wait until my hometown gets it's expansion team first...The  Big B Land Canuckistan Projectile Vomit Pigs. Kinda just rolls off the tongue, donit?

I meant that NCAA players have to graduate from college in order to join the Beloit 69ers NHL team.  The Beloit 69ers (based in Beloit, Wisconsin) should allow people that graduated from college and have been in NCAA Hockey to join the Beloit 69ers like all the other NHL teams.

@Corymach7   Beloit ( I've never even heard of this place btw, and I'm quite familiar with US geography) is a total pipe dream. There is no way this tiny city has 18,000-20,000 with enough scratch to pony up 150 bucks (rough average) for 41+ games per season. Having said that, I've always thought Wisconsin was an untapped market, it's cold, the people are down to earth, enjoy violence and respect hard work....in other words, Wisconsin would make a fine addition to the NHL fan base...just not Beloit, Green Bay would be the way to go....and even then, it's a risky venture, the NHL is not the NFL.

• 1 month later...

@Corymach7   Beloit ( I've never even heard of this place btw, and I'm quite familiar with US geography) is a total pipe dream. There is no way this tiny city has 18,000-20,000 with enough scratch to pony up 150 bucks (rough average) for 41+ games per season. Having said that, I've always thought Wisconsin was an untapped market, it's cold, the people are down to earth, enjoy violence and respect hard work....in other words, Wisconsin would make a fine addition to the NHL fan base...just not Beloit, Green Bay would be the way to go....and even then, it's a risky venture, the NHL is not the NFL.

There are 2 Professional teams for Wisconsin in Milwaukee: One is Milwaukee Brewers (MLB) and the other is Milwaukee Bucks (NBA), so we can get an NHL team at Green Bay at the Resch Center.  We can have Green Bay 69ers (Home Arena as Resch Center (Green Bay, WI)) and the Madison Eagles (Home Arena as Kohl Center (Madison, WI)).  Do you think that would be interesting for NHL at WI?

• 2 months later...

As a Chicagoan, I often wondered why Milwaukee doesn't have an NHL team. What a rivalry between Chicago and Milwaukee it would be! The market is certainly there (Milwaukee isn't exactly a "stop in the road").  And Wisconsin is certainly a hocky State. Just wondering.

And he thought THAT was a good idea for a license plate.

Feel bad for his girlfriend. Yet, usually a guy that does something like that does not have a girlfriend. Its like the short guy that that buys the monster truck. "look at me, look at me", yet you never see a girl riding shotgun next to him in the monster truck. 

As a Chicagoan, I often wondered why Milwaukee doesn't have an NHL team. What a rivalry between Chicago and Milwaukee it would be! The market is certainly there (Milwaukee isn't exactly a "stop in the road").  And Wisconsin is certainly a hocky State. Just wondering.

I think the leading candidates for expansion teams are Seatle and Las Vegas, however I'd also rather see a team in Milwaukee.