Olympic news and notes,...

jammer2

The Russian sniper and team Captain Pavel Datsuyk has declared himself ready to go. He practiced yesterday centering a line of Ilya Kovalchuck and Alexander Radulov. Despite Red Wings coach Mike Babcock saying Datsuyk is not 100%, Pavel shrugged off coach Babcock saying "I'm fine, my injury does not bother me at all, Babcock is not my concern right now". Wings GM Ken Holland admits he can't stop his star from realizing a life long dream of playing for his country in the Olympics. Just wondering out loud, but if Datsuyk makes the injury worse, can the Wings penalize him.....perhaps even stop him from collecting his paycheque if the injury is serious. I doubt the Wings would want to have any lingering problems with Pavel, but *if* he is playing hurt, and it carries over in the NHL, this could get ugly. 

Finnish star Temmu Selanne is 43, which is more than double the combined ages of his current linemates, Alexander Barkov (18 years old) and Mikael Grandlund (21 years of age). I'm betting he more than keeps up with the kids.

Fellow Finnish countrymen Ollie Jokinen has declared this to be his last Olympics.

Mats Sundin *must* be wondering if he could have held on and somehow helped his Swedish countrymen achieve gold. Betcha Mats would make an awesome 4th line center, even this many years after his retirement.

The dynamic duo on the Swedish defense is comprised of Oliver Ekman-Larsson and Eric Karlsson figures to play a huge part of the Swedish push for Gold. The Swedish team, famous for playing 5 man units will be counting on the two stud d-men to rush up into the play and create mismatches. If these two play like they can, Sweden will be deadly.

Norway offers only 1 current NHL'er, Mats Zuccarello of the NY Rangers. The only other player with NHL experience is the one balled wonder, Patrick Theorson.

Slovenia's only NHL player is Anze Kopitar of the Kings...think he will be seeing any top checkers in this tourny? Anze's father Matjez Kopitar is Slovenia's coach.

Austria features 3 NHL players, Thomas Vanek and Michael Grabner of the Isles and our very own Michael Raffl of the Flyers. This is their 3rd appearance at the Olympic games.

Latvia is being coached by Sabres coach Ted Nolan, guess you don't have to be born in the country to coach there, huh?  Puzzling choice, anyone else know the inside scoop on why Nolan is coaching this team, I can't for the life of me figure it out? Latvia has 42 year old Sandish Ozolinish  on the blue line. They also have former Senator and Bruin Kaspers Daugavins. The only current NHLer is Blockers former billet Zemgus Girgensons. Latvia only has 2 players where their last name do not end in S.

Canadian coach Shaun Simpson will coach Switzerland. Of all the smaller non elite team's the Swiss ice the most NHL'ers. Jonas Hiller of the Ducks and the Flames Reto Berra in net. Rafael Diaz of the Habs, Roman Josi of the Predators, Mark Striet of our very own Philadelphia Flyers, and Yanik Weber of the Canucks and last but not least, former Flyer and current Duck Luca Sibsa....that is 5 very respectable NHL d-men. They also have 2 young star forwards in Damien Bruner of the Devils and Minnesota Wild's Nino Niederreiter....this team is no push over, and could really surprise, even an outside chance at a Bronze Medal.

Canada has 11 players returning from the Gold Medal winning squad from the Vancouver Olympics. They also boast 11 of the NHL's top 25 scorers. Just for comparison sake, ALL the other 11 teams combined have 9 of the NHL's top 25 scorers. If anyone thought Teams Canada's forward depth was overrated, look no further than this stat, the Canadian depth is for *real*.

Because of the expanded Olympic roster sizes, Babcock has the luxury of dressing 13 forwards and 7 d-men. Against Norway, it appears Martin St.Louis will be the 13th forward and the Canucks Dan Hamhius will be the 7th d-man. That leaves the Ave's Matt Duchene and the Habs P.K Subban as healthy scratches for Thursday's opening game. I would have thought Subban would be the 7th d-man, so Team Canada could utilize his absolute ROCKET from the point. Imagine having Weber and P.K Subban taking shots from the point on the pp.....it could still happen, and if it does, here is betting that a few opponents (and maybe even teammates) will be injured getting in front of their BOMBS from the point!

Canada's projected lines against Norway:

Line #1: Sidney Crosby centering Chris Kunitz and Jeff Carter

Line #2: Johnathan Toews centering Patrick Sharp and Rick Nash

Line #3: Ryan Getzlaf centering Corey Perry and Patrick Marleau

Line #4: John Tavares centering Patrice Bergeron and Jamie Benn

Marty St.Louis 13th forward

Dare I say, that is the BEST center crew to EVER lace up skates....a true superstar like John Tavares pulling up the rear and playing on the 4th line....*THAT* is outright CRAZY depth. Having St.Louis fresh at all times to kill penalties could be one of the best weapons ever! What a outstanding luxury to have!!

Babcock is very smart to put the NHL teammates together for 3 of the 4 lines. The pre-existing chemistry will be unmatched in these Olympics.

Canada's projected d-pairings against Norway:

Pairing #1: Shea Weber and Duncan Kieth

Pairing #2: Drew Doughty and Marc Edward-Vlasic

Pairing #3: Alex Pietrangelo and Jay Bouwmeester

Dan Hamhius 7th D-man

That first pairing of Weber and Kieth is quite possibly the *BEST* d-man pairing in Canada's long and storied history of Olympic play! All world vision and skill...an elite top pairing if there ever was one!!!

Goalies:

Carey Price: Starter

Roberto Luongo: Back-up

Canada last played Norway at the 2010 Vancouver Olympics. The game was a 8-0 thrashing which saw Canada out shoot Norway 42 - 15. I predict more of the same on Thursday. I'm saying 11-0 Canada and they will outshoot Norway 51-11.

Finnish star Temmu Selanne left Finlands 8-4 victory over Austria after the 1st period. He suffered some type of head-neck injury. Before leaving the game, Temmu assisted on Michael Granlund's first period goal. Selanne was a plus 1. Selanne was selected by rad in the forum Olympic hockey fantasy challange. Opposing GM's are said to be thrilled with unexpected turn of events.

Speaking of the forum Olympic fantasy challange.....Jammer2's potential winning team is listed below....

Forwards:

1) Sidney Crosby - Canada

2) Henrik Zetterberg - Sweden

3) Rick Nash - Canada

Defensemen

1) Eric Karlsson - Sweden

2) Oliver Ekman-Larsson - Sweden

Goalie

1) Carey Price - Canada

Let the games begin people!!!

Posted · Hidden by jammer2, February 13, 2014 - wrong listing
Hidden by jammer2, February 13, 2014 - wrong listing
USA Forwards Dustin Brown (LAK) — Ryan Kesler (VAN) — Patrick Kane (CHI) Phil Kessel (TOR) — Joe Pavelski (SJS) — James Van Riemsdyk (TOR) Zach Parise (MIN) — David Backes (STL) — T.J. Oshie (STL) Max Pacioretty (MTL) — Paul Stastny (COL) — Ryan Callahan (NYR) Extras: Derek Stepan (NYR), Blake Wheeler (WPG) The decision to put Kane, a highly skilled goal scorer, with two power forwards in Brown and Kesler doesn’t make much sense. For the Blackhawks winger to maximize his talent, he should be with two playmakers. The best decision would be to switch Kane and Van Riemsdyk. The second line features two players who were paired together in Vancouver, Pavelski and Kessel. The Leafs winger is a legitimate Hart Trophy candidate this season (31 goals, 34 assists in 60 games) and enters the Olympics playing some of the best hockey of his career. The third line will be an important one. Backes, Oshie and Parise are strong two-way players and could start a lot of their shifts in the defensive zone. Backes and Parise were exceptional in Vancouver and are two of the team’s best leaders. This is the most reliable trio for head coach Dan Bylsma because of these players’ ability to excel in all three zones. USA Blue Line Cam Fowler (ANA) — Ryan Suter (MIN) Ryan McDonagh (NYR) — John Carlson (WSH) Paul Martin (PIT) — Kevin Shattenkirk (STL) Extras: Justin Faulk (CAR), Brooks Orpik (PIT) The biggest surprise on the blue line is that Suter and McDonagh — two of the best shut-down D-men in the NHL — aren’t together. Bylsma has decided to go with the offensive/defensive approach when crafting these duos. Each pairing has an offensive-minded player paired with someone who excels defensively. It’s not a bad strategy, especially on the Olympic-sized ice. Orpik could play an important role in the playoff round based on his previous Olympic experience. adzerk tracking image Newsmax Headlines Baby Boomers: An Economic Tidal Wave? Jim Cramer: I Fear Jobs Data Will Hurt Stocks GOP Senate Bosses Reject Cruz's 60-Vote Bid Professor: Obamacare Worsens US Workers' Plight Economist: Obamacare Isn't a 'Job Killer' Economist Reveals Why Wall Street Is Dumping Stocks Amino Acid Boosts Testosterone 42% in 12 Days Rate Obama's Job Performance. Approve or Disapprove? Damian Lillard Damian Lillard's Top-5 Dunks Vivian Harris Finds Trouble Before The Fight Even Starts Vivian Harris Finds Trouble Before The Fight Even Starts The 5 Absolute Worst Quarterbacks To Win A Super Bowl The 5 Absolute Worst Quarterbacks To Win A Super Bowl Is This the New Katherine Webb of College Football? Is This the New Katherine Webb of College Football? Watch: Scarlett Johansson Watch: Scarlett Johansson's Banned Super Bowl Commercial Russian Speedskater's Hilarious Wardrobe Malfunction 15 Female Athletes You Wish Were Your Valentine Top 20 Freak Athletes 10 Players Who Are Actually Huge Jerks 10 Ridiculous Sports Myths Everyone Believes A Shockingly Simple Solution For Joint PainInstaflex NEVER Eat This Type of Fish (Ever)The Inflammation Solution Who Will Fill the BlackBerry Void?Work Intelligent.ly Create a Story With Your BrandPower Your Story Design 101: 4 Retro Success StoriesGraphicStock How To Pick The Perfect PantsLululemon by Taboola Sponsored Content 30-Second Trick FLATTENS Your StomachThe Fat Burning Hormone 5 Exercises That Age You FASTER (Avoid #1 at All Costs)Old School New Body Surprising Photos Of WestJet's Magic PlaneWestJet 14 Early Startup Execs Who Missed Out on Making Millions | Slid…Entrepreneur by Taboola Sponsored Content NESN Team Dale Arnold John Beattie Andy Brickley Tom Caron Mike Cole Zack Cox Jamison Coyle Jenny Dell Ricky Doyle Dennis Eckersley Jack Edwards Jamie Erdahl Anna Fogel Nicholas Goss John Henry Leah Hextall Luke Hughes Doug Kyed Charlie Moore Marcus O’Mard Don Orsillo Adam Pellerin Jerry Remy Jim Rice Jen Slothower Alison Smith Gary Striewski Ben Watanabe Yardbarker FOX Sports Local Arizona Carolinas Detroit Florida Kansas City Midwest North Ohio San Diego South Southwest Tennessee West Wisconsin YES Network

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/02/2014-winter-olympics-recapping-canada-usa-lines-pairings-from-first-sochi-practice/
USA Forwards Dustin Brown (LAK) — Ryan Kesler (VAN) — Patrick Kane (CHI) Phil Kessel (TOR) — Joe Pavelski (SJS) — James Van Riemsdyk (TOR) Zach Parise (MIN) — David Backes (STL) — T.J. Oshie (STL) Max Pacioretty (MTL) — Paul Stastny (COL) — Ryan Callahan (NYR) Extras: Derek Stepan (NYR), Blake Wheeler (WPG) The decision to put Kane, a highly skilled goal scorer, with two power forwards in Brown and Kesler doesn’t make much sense. For the Blackhawks winger to maximize his talent, he should be with two playmakers. The best decision would be to switch Kane and Van Riemsdyk. The second line features two players who were paired together in Vancouver, Pavelski and Kessel. The Leafs winger is a legitimate Hart Trophy candidate this season (31 goals, 34 assists in 60 games) and enters the Olympics playing some of the best hockey of his career. The third line will be an important one. Backes, Oshie and Parise are strong two-way players and could start a lot of their shifts in the defensive zone. Backes and Parise were exceptional in Vancouver and are two of the team’s best leaders. This is the most reliable trio for head coach Dan Bylsma because of these players’ ability to excel in all three zones. USA Blue Line Cam Fowler (ANA) — Ryan Suter (MIN) Ryan McDonagh (NYR) — John Carlson (WSH) Paul Martin (PIT) — Kevin Shattenkirk (STL) Extras: Justin Faulk (CAR), Brooks Orpik (PIT) The biggest surprise on the blue line is that Suter and McDonagh — two of the best shut-down D-men in the NHL — aren’t together. Bylsma has decided to go with the offensive/defensive approach when crafting these duos. Each pairing has an offensive-minded player paired with someone who excels defensively. It’s not a bad strategy, especially on the Olympic-sized ice. Orpik could play an important role in the playoff round based on his previous Olympic experience. adzerk tracking image Newsmax Headlines Baby Boomers: An Economic Tidal Wave? Jim Cramer: I Fear Jobs Data Will Hurt Stocks GOP Senate Bosses Reject Cruz's 60-Vote Bid Professor: Obamacare Worsens US Workers' Plight Economist: Obamacare Isn't a 'Job Killer' Economist Reveals Why Wall Street Is Dumping Stocks Amino Acid Boosts Testosterone 42% in 12 Days Rate Obama's Job Performance. Approve or Disapprove? Damian Lillard Damian Lillard's Top-5 Dunks Vivian Harris Finds Trouble Before The Fight Even Starts Vivian Harris Finds Trouble Before The Fight Even Starts The 5 Absolute Worst Quarterbacks To Win A Super Bowl The 5 Absolute Worst Quarterbacks To Win A Super Bowl Is This the New Katherine Webb of College Football? Is This the New Katherine Webb of College Football? Watch: Scarlett Johansson Watch: Scarlett Johansson's Banned Super Bowl Commercial Russian Speedskater's Hilarious Wardrobe Malfunction 15 Female Athletes You Wish Were Your Valentine Top 20 Freak Athletes 10 Players Who Are Actually Huge Jerks 10 Ridiculous Sports Myths Everyone Believes A Shockingly Simple Solution For Joint PainInstaflex NEVER Eat This Type of Fish (Ever)The Inflammation Solution Who Will Fill the BlackBerry Void?Work Intelligent.ly Create a Story With Your BrandPower Your Story Design 101: 4 Retro Success StoriesGraphicStock How To Pick The Perfect PantsLululemon by Taboola Sponsored Content 30-Second Trick FLATTENS Your StomachThe Fat Burning Hormone 5 Exercises That Age You FASTER (Avoid #1 at All Costs)Old School New Body Surprising Photos Of WestJet's Magic PlaneWestJet 14 Early Startup Execs Who Missed Out on Making Millions | Slid…Entrepreneur by Taboola Sponsored Content NESN Team Dale Arnold John Beattie Andy Brickley Tom Caron Mike Cole Zack Cox Jamison Coyle Jenny Dell Ricky Doyle Dennis Eckersley Jack Edwards Jamie Erdahl Anna Fogel Nicholas Goss John Henry Leah Hextall Luke Hughes Doug Kyed Charlie Moore Marcus O’Mard Don Orsillo Adam Pellerin Jerry Remy Jim Rice Jen Slothower Alison Smith Gary Striewski Ben Watanabe Yardbarker FOX Sports Local Arizona Carolinas Detroit Florida Kansas City Midwest North Ohio San Diego South Southwest Tennessee West Wisconsin YES Network

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/02/2014-winter-olympics-recapping-canada-usa-lines-pairings-from-first-sochi-practice/

Exlunds take on the Olympics....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/Predicting-the-Olympics-is-All-About-the-Goalies-Your-Picks-Rumor-Update/1/57925

When you look at these Olympics the whole thing begs the question:

How much firepower is enough firepower to beat the best goalies in the world?

It is relatively clear the most talented offense is playing for Canada.
(And yes, I believe Canada could put two teams in these games that could medal.)

It is relatively clear the most talented defense is playing for Team USA.
(although Canada is 1A in my opinion)

It is abundantly clear the most pressure is on Russia.
(although Canada is also 1A here...also ask the Russian Women about the pressure they felt against Japan yesterday...that was as entertaining a game as you will ever see. The Japan women were a joy to watch and they were robbed.)

It is always clear that Sweden and Finland can always ruin the party.
(although so can Slovakia and the Swiss who are gaining fast.)

But there is one aspect of this tournament that isn't clear. Not even close to clear. And it is the one aspect that will change everything. It is the one aspect that will win this tournament in my opinion.

Who has the best goalie?

You can argue all you want who has the top line. Ovechkin/Malkin/Semin, Crosby/Kunitz/Carter, Backstrom/Eriksson/Sedin, any of the other combos for Canada you can throw out there...

They are all crazy talented players and while some are (probably) better then others let's face the cold hard truth. None of these players suck. None of them will dominate the other. We have seen this before. A hot goalie gives any of the top countries a shot. Four years ago it gave team USA a shot. Eight years ago it found Finland and Sweden playing for gold.

The Difference Makers...

On Carey Price and Roberto Luongo...

I personally believe it will be Price when all is said and done, but Luongo has shown the ability to do this before and team Canada is a very loyal team. Price has yet to show at the NHL level he can do this. Remember, the one playoff run Price's NHL team had was led by another olympic goalie on our list.

On Miller and Quick..

Miller has already shown he can lead team USA to within one goal of victory and Quick has shown he can lead his NHL team to a Stanley Cup. This is going to be a tough call for team USA. In my opinion, if I have to win 1 game, to steal 1 game, there is no one I would rather have in net then Jonathan Quick.

On Varlamov and Bobrovsky

The last thing this Russian team needs is a goalie controversy and yet I predict we will see one. Both this guys are lightning quick but neither is tested in any sort of pressure situation that matches this. I see this as a major issue.

On King Henry...

Lundqvist has done this before and is calm and cool as they get. Sweden really has an ace in their pocket here. His game is in many ways built more for the Olympics than it is in the NHL, and in the NHL many have called him the best there is.

On Tuukka Rask...

The Finns play the most defined system in the world. They are probably the only Olympic team not requiring one second of practice time...Tuukka plays into that system beautifully and just last year took the Bruins within a few minutes of a possible game 7 in the Cup Final. Rask is the best goalie the Fins have brought to an Olympics.

On Jonas Hiller...

Here is the guy that could define this tournament. I just have a hunch the Swiss will be playing for a medal. This team is good enough and Hiller is great enough to be a huge factor in their net. This is the team no one will want to play.

On Jaro Halak...

Remember how I said that if I had one game to win I would play Jonathan Quick? Well if my two goalies were Halak or Quick my head would implode. Halak got the Slovaks to a Bronze Medal game in Vancouver and took a Habs team past powerhouse they had no business beating. His absence from the playoffs due to injury last year killed the chances of the Blues. He is pure and simple a big game goalie and his team is feisty and fun to pull for. Plus he has the best d-man in the world in Chara fronting him.

On Pavelec and Kovar...

Pavelec isn't starting game 1 for the Czechs....and instead we will see the KHL's Jakub Kovar face Sweden. I am a Pavelec fan but....enough said.

How would you rank the teams based on their goalies alone?

For me.

In Goal...

#1 USA
#2 Swedes
#3 Swiss
#4 Canada
#5 Slovaks
#6 Finns
#7 Russians
#8 Czechs

So how does this play into my predictions?

Ok, so it isn't ALL about the goalies. Luongo was good enough four years ago with all that firepower up front...

It also has to do with the players and also their motivation.

The two most motivated teams in this tournament are the two teams who will play for gold. And to me there are two teams who want this more than anyone else.

The Russians of course are under at least as much pressure as Canada was in Vancouver. Maybe even more.

Team USA came too close last time and the way they lost...They are a motivated group.

Call me a homer all you want, but I am going to go out on a limb and say USA will beat the Russians in the gold medal game. Because of the goaltending and the Russian pressure. There is nothing worse than a team under immense pressure facing a goalie on a roll. In hockey that never ends well for the team under pressure.

The bronze medal game will see Canada defeat the Swiss...yes the Swiss...

Let's hear your picks?

RUMOR UPDATE

Since we last spoke I have updated Ruutu, Moulson, Jokinen, Hartnell, Gaborik, Briere and Cole on Eklund's Trade Rumor Chart

On Ruutu...

Continuing to hear the Blue Jackets have interest here...it makes sense.

On Moulson...

This really is looking like a two horse race at this point with Vancouver ahead of Ottawa by a neck...but with a turn or two to go...

On Jokinen...

The Penguins and Preds both have a strong interest. The Preds are buyers. Not sellers..

more to come...
corner_bl.png   corner_br.png

On Pavelec and Kovar...

Pavelec isn't starting game 1 for the Czechs....and instead we will see the KHL's Jakub Kovar face Sweden. I am a Pavelec fan but....enough said.

Keep an eye on Kovar. The Flyers still hold his rights, but he just hasn't wanted to come over yet.

Found this thread about him on HFBoards

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=1334031

His stats the past few years have been impressive:

2011-12 Ceske Budejovice HC Czech 52 GP (28-24-0), 2.37, .926

2012-13 Ceske Budejovice HC Czech 24 GP (17-7-0), 2.00, .935

2013-14 Yekaterinburg Automobilist KHL 44 GP (19-15-0), 1.91, .934

The way Quick played this not inch it's clear he was the right choice. Maybe Miller would've matched it, maybe not. Team USA dominated the Slovaks though. I really like the makeup if this team. All gritty guys willing to fight for it in the tough spots. They don't have the pure skill the Canadian squad has, but heart often means more... And good grief they have that in spades.

@Polaris922  Plus, would you want your fairly young goalie, who has already won a cup to lead your team, knowing that he will be able to participate in the coming Olympics....and grow with the team...OR put in a guy who is certainly on his last Olympic legs.

The debate is a bit of a joke, if Quick was declared as available, teams would be falling all over each other to give LA assets, picks and players. Miller is 33 and teams don't know if they want the risk associated with age and inevitable decline. Huge difference there.

@Polaris922  Plus, would you want your fairly young goalie, who has already won a cup to lead your team, knowing that he will be able to participate in the coming Olympics....and grow with the team...OR put in a guy who is certainly on his last Olympic legs.

The debate is a bit of a joke, if Quick was declared as available, teams would be falling all over each other to give LA assets, picks and players. Miller is 33 and teams don't know if they want the risk associated with age and inevitable decline. Huge difference there.

i agree, but I do think there will be an interest in Miller.  I'm not saying he's top three or anything, but he is having a good year behind an awful squad.  He can still play well right now... but how like you said I don't think much longer, so how much is he really worth?

A few new faces for Canada today....P.K Subban makes his Olympic debut, sitting is Dan Hamhius, who had a respectable game for Canada in the win against Norway. Also in is Matt Duchene....and sitting out is Patrick Sharp. Towes line did not seem to be clicking, so there will changes there as Babcock searches for the right chemistry to ignite Towes. This is Roberto Lunogo's scheduled start, so Price will sit and Mike Smith will be the back-up. I hope we see Smith, which will mean Luongo stunk...get him outta there!!!