It sounds like Miller will be gone, uncertain times in Buffalo

Buffalo Rick

I have been a fan since the Sabres came into existence in 1970.  I cannot agree with what is about to take place one bit.  I do not believe they are making the right move if they move Ryan Miller.  Dumb move.  First they should offer him a contract.  See what he says.  If he turns it down, that is one thing.  Nolan has now said its out of his hands what will happen.  they will  prepare for Carolina as Miller is still en route from Russia and Enroth made it back already.  Could anyone blame Miller if he stopped in Sweden or Switzerland first?  I would.  Moulson says he has heard he will be traded since he got here.  It sounds like that is a pretty good bet also.  But what will they get in return?  Not enough for Miller in my opinion.  You are not going to have a guy in the nets next year as good as Miller if you trade him.  I am hoping it does not happen.  Even if it means the summer comes and we see what offers come.  He may re sign as some have said.  They said that is not impossible, but right now it seems rather unlikely.  And Nolan does not even know his own fate.  I think the man deserves an answer and a shot.  Its a bad time in Buffalo.  It can only get better, it cannot get any worse

@Hockey Junkie

If you'd look at the big picture you might see it's a good move. Miller is not helping Buffalo going forward. They are YEARS away from being a playoff contender let alone cup contender. By the time Buffalo has a good group of players in their prime ready to take a run Miller will likely be retired. You said the same about Vanek...would you rather still have him, or that 1st rounder and whatever you acquire in the forthcoming Moulson deal?

If I'm a Sabres fan, I'm looking forward to the future, not the now. You're going to get either Ekblad or Bennett this year. Maybe McDavid next year. Plus a plethora of quality prospects from your 237 draft picks you've managed to acquire over the last 12  months. The future is bright if you'd only look at it.

@Hockey Junkie    Buffalo ha sits own pick, likely a top five or better.

They also own the Isles which is a top five or better in all likelihood.

They have a solid bunch of prospects close to NHL ready from previous drafts.

Miller is aging. He is an UFA at the end of the season and in all probability is gone to a contender as the Sabres are improving but still years away from being a true contender.

They should get what they can now, it wont be what you would hope it should be but take what you can and run with it, dont look back just stay the course. The organization seems to finally have a plan. It sucks when your favorite player is going to move on but it is the sad economic reality of the game that he is no longer viable.

@yave1964

The big problem for Buffalo is, what contender needs a goalie? We'll see in the coming days ahead but I don't see teams lining up for Miller. If you're a contender, how could you possibly need a goalie? (normally the Flyers would, but they're not a contender and actually may have finally filled that position) The Pens jump to mind, but I'm sure they believe Fleury has turned it around.

@yave1964

The big problem for Buffalo is, what contender needs a goalie? We'll see in the coming days ahead but I don't see teams lining up for Miller. If you're a contender, how could you possibly need a goalie? (normally the Flyers would, but they're not a contender and actually may have finally filled that position) The Pens jump to mind, but I'm sure they believe Fleury has turned it around.

Minnesota has come up (I can't imagine HJ's reaction if Pominville and Miller succeed in Minny).

How about Washington? On the outside - Dallas? (Picture Lindy Ruff coaching Ryan Miller in Dallas, of all places...)

Beyond that, I don't see much.

I suppose the Islanders could send over next year's pick and unrestrict this year's...

@flyercanuck@radoran

The team nobody talks about that to me is the perfect fit is Winnipeg.

They are on the outside by only 2 points of a playoff spot, the new coach has the team firing on all cylinders and they have as good a shot as any of a half a dozen teams in the West fighting for three spots.

Imagine if Miller was in net instead of the maddeningly inconsistent Pavelec all season, they would likely be in seventh,possibly sixth place based off Millers numbers with a horrible Sabre club.

Plus i know nobody wants to play there but isnt his wife from the vicinity? (too lazy to look up exactly, sorry)

They have a decent team, Kane is due back from injury, Trouba is playing lights out, the club has goaltending as its kryptonite. I think it is the perfect fit either short term or long.This is the one club that is in contention in spite of its netminders.

@flyercanuck@radoran

The team nobody talks about that to me is the perfect fit is Winnipeg.

They are on the outside by only 2 points of a playoff spot, the new coach has the team firing on all cylinders and they have as good a shot as any of a half a dozen teams in the West fighting for three spots.

Imagine if Miller was in net instead of the maddeningly inconsistent Pavelec all season, they would likely be in seventh,possibly sixth place based off Millers numbers with a horrible Sabre club.

Plus i know nobody wants to play there but isnt his wife from the vicinity? (too lazy to look up exactly, sorry)

They have a decent team, Kane is due back from injury, Trouba is playing lights out, the club has goaltending as its kryptonite. I think it is the perfect fit either short term or long.This is the one club that is in contention in spite of its netminders.

Good call on the ol' 'Peg. Seems like a nice fit, yes!

@yave1964

So what do they give up? A 1st?  Two 2nds?

I know Rick will be expecting multiple 1sts,as well as Kane, Trouba and Scheifele. But goalies (especially rentals) don't bring in a whole lot generally.

About three months ago when I first thought the Peg was a great landing spot, I suggested maybe a Evander Kane deal, as he looks like he needs a change of location Rick lost his mind and said maybe Patrick Kane but never Evander.

Sigh. There is always one in every crowd.

@yave1964

So what do they give up? A 1st?  Two 2nds?

I know Rick will be expecting multiple 1sts,as well as Kane, Trouba and Scheifele. But goalies (especially rentals) don't bring in a whole lot generally.

As we've outlined, the market isn't exactly high for an obvious rental. On top of that it's a goalie. Get a B-level prospect and a 2nd?

As always, @hockeyjunkie NAILED another prediction.  

I am hearing that it is not likely that Ryan Miller will be traded by the Deadline and Sabres are turning attention towards re signing him.

I think it's more likely a lack of interest in acquiring him,

Would not surprise me to see him back in Buffalo, but I believe he will be elsewhere come next season.

About three months ago when I first thought the Peg was a great landing spot, I suggested maybe a Evander Kane deal, as he looks like he needs a change of location Rick lost his mind and said maybe Patrick Kane but never Evander.

Sigh. There is always one in every crowd.

Everything  you are all saying makes sense.  But it also makes sense trying to keep a goalie like Miller.  For 6 more years.  He can certainly play that long and it will not take that long to turn things around with the amount of ammo Regier has stockpiled.  You laugh about Kane but do not forget he is a Buffalo native.  That means something.  Miller, if he goes would want either Detroit, his hometown, or California where his wife is.  St Louis makes sense to me.  And Minny.  He is far better than anyone either of them have.  And what about Vanek?  Do you see your boys making a play for him?

Would not surprise me to see him back in Buffalo, but I believe he will be elsewhere come next season.

I want Miller and Nolan to both stay.

Edited by hf101
removed content

Where's the fun in that???  More fun to poke the bear.   ;)

In all honesty, I agree.  I keep hearing St Louis, but I'm not convinced that's even a solid bet right now.  

Where's the fun in that???  More fun to poke the bear.   ;)

In all honesty, I agree.  I keep hearing St Louis, but I'm not convinced that's even a solid bet right now.  

St. Louis would be fools to fool with what they have.

Their problem has never been "goaltending" in the playoffs. It's been goal scoring.

Elliott 11-12 2.34/.904; 12-13 1.90/.919

Halak 11-12 1.73/.935

Playoff record over those two years? 6-9. Goals for in 11-12: 20 in nine games. In 12-13: 10 in 6 games.

They're 2-8 against the Kings in the past two playoffs. And Ryan Miller isn't going to help them solve Quick.

Everything  you are all saying makes sense.  But it also makes sense trying to keep a goalie like Miller.  For 6 more years.  He can certainly play that long and it will not take that long to turn things around with the amount of ammo Regier has stockpiled.  You laugh about Kane but do not forget he is a Buffalo native.  That means something.  Miller, if he goes would want either Detroit, his hometown, or California where his wife is.  St Louis makes sense to me.  And Minny.  He is far better than anyone either of them have.  And what about Vanek?  Do you see your boys making a play for him?

It depends on if Miller wants to hang around Buffalo for a rebuild. 18 and 19 year old players aren't going to right this ship overnight. It's going to take a few years.

As for Kane being a Buffalo native....Leaf fans have been telling us since the salary cap first came into play that local star players would be lining up to play "home" for a discount rate. Last year they signed their very first...David Clarkson, who isn't even a star...and they had to overpay to get him.

As always, @hockeyjunkie NAILED another prediction.  

I am hearing that it is not likely that Ryan Miller will be traded by the Deadline and Sabres are turning attention towards re signing him.

I know one thing.  If Vanek or Miller were announced to have signed in Philly, you guys would be dancing in the streets.  Imagine Vanek and Giroux together.  With Miller in the nets.  He does have a limited no trade clause as to certain teams he will not go to.  But I do not know who they are. I am certain Boston is on that list as well as Toronto

I know one thing.  If Vanek or Miller were announced to have signed in Philly, you guys would be dancing in the streets.  Imagine Vanek and Girieax together.  With Miller in the nets.  He does have a limited no trade clause as to certain teams he will not go to.  But I do not know who they are. I am certain Boston is on that list as well as Toronto

You know what? After the last few weeks...I don't think you do.