Your opinion of fighting

yave1964

I guess I'm with commander. I enjoy fights when they are a natural response to the emotion or situation of the game. Often the staged fights do interrupt the flow of the game. Sometimes interrupting the flow is specifically the point (like one team is down 3-0 early do they send out some clown to start a fight to rally the troops).

All that said, I thoroughly enjoy a good line brawl and one of my all time favorite games was the Ottawa /Philly brawl in... Was it 2004?

That game ended up being nothing about hockey, but it was really entertaining just for spectacle sake.

That was an all-time classic. March, 2004. Jeebus, that was 10 years ago. I'm old...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-8KFucyr-8

Honestly, my favorite part (not show explicitly in the video), is Sharp dropping the gloves with Spezza as the ref drops the puck on a faceoff. In context, it was delightful.

Bobby Clarke is still waiting for his lunch with Havlat.

Then what was he doing? Saying hello?

Kessel was not jumped. He reached for an opposing team's player and that player responded. Kessel reacted by hitting said player with his stick, which was the 3rd time he had done that in 2 recent games. I don't care what he did before that, that's a trend and I don't feel even a little guilty about calling him cheap or dirty.

No, no. I just mean I disagree that there is no reason why players would place hands on each other except to fight, because it happens. Again, I don't think Kessel is innocent there, but he is clearly not interested in fighting. I have no respect for Scott attempting a fight there where Kessel had no interest, and had (up to that point) thrown no cheap shots or anything that would deserve him needing to "answer the bell" so to speak. On the subject of this thread, that's one of types of fights that I don't like in the game today, and I don't like it regardless of what team or star player it happens to. John Scott has no business dropping the gloves on Kessel, the same way he would have no business dropping the gloves on Claude Giroux or Pavel Datsyuk or Thomas Vanek, etc.

And again, when I use the word "jumped" I don't mean Kessel was just plodding along happily and was ambushed, I mean Scott involved him in a fight he had no desire to participate in. I just don't know a better word for it.

I guess I'm with commander. I enjoy fights when they are a natural response to the emotion or situation of the game. Often the staged fights do interrupt the flow of the game. Sometimes interrupting the flow is specifically the point (like one team is down 3-0 early do they send out some clown to start a fight to rally the troops).

All that said, I thoroughly enjoy a good line brawl and one of my all time favorite games was the Ottawa /Philly brawl in... Was it 2004?

That game ended up being nothing about hockey, but it was really entertaining just for spectacle sake.

I enjoy the bench clearing brawls as well. They may not end up about hockey, but they are brought on because of high emotions in a hockey game.

It's also entertaining. Even "staged" fights can be entertaining to watch to a certain extent, but I don't like how they tend to interrupt the game.

Edited by Commander Clueless

Sharp dropping the gloves with Spezza as the ref drops the puck on a faceoff

My youngest daughter was 4 years old at the time.  To this day, if she happens to be in or walking through the room when an Ottawa game is on or SportsCenter if they happen to mention him, she still yells, "DOWN GOES SPEZZA!  DOWN GOES SPEZZA!" with exactly the same intonation as Jackson's call.

My youngest daughter was 4 years old at the time.  To this day, if she happens to be in or walking through the room when an Ottawa game is on or SportsCenter if they happen to mention him, she still yells, "DOWN GOES SPEZZA!  DOWN GOES SPEZZA!" with exactly the same intonation as Jackson's call.

That's what you call "parenting" :D

In honor of this thread, I just watched the 1997 and 1998 Avs/Wings brawls, the Pens/Isles brawls, Johnson TKO Dipietro, and the Flyers/Sens brawl.

Fun times.

In honor of this thread I just watched WrestleMania III.  ;)

Edited by B21
  • Like 1

Scripted by God Himself! :D

Please stop referring to Bettman as God. It's disturbing.

Just because Crosby can be heard saying "oh god, oh god" when they are behind closed doors doesn't mean he actually IS God.

• Like 1

Please stop referring to Bettman as God. It's disturbing.

Just because Crosby can be heard saying "oh god, oh god" when they are behind closed doors doesn't mean he actually IS God.

I'm kind of concerned that if that's going on you're around to listen. ;)