Well that sucked...

B21

@Samifan

If it wasn't for Fleury that game would have got way out of hand in the first. He stopped at least 3 that should have been goals. He was the last guy on that team you can pin that L on.

FC- I did not see the came today because I was working, I just heard he was pulled after the flyers jumped out to a 3-0 lead.

@Samifan

That's what I figured. He played great, but they were still down 3-0. It could have been a heck of a lot uglier than that. They only pulled him to give the team a kick in the arse or it would have been Saturday all over.

Definite "mercy" pull. Fleury is the least of their worries...until the playoffs start.

• Like 1

@nossagog - I don't know if the Flyers will have the cap space but if they do he should be on their radar. Thought he looked really good both games this weekend.

I was thinking the same thing. He offers a lot of skills the Flyers are in need of. Real nice shot from the point being at the forefront. I wonder how much he would fetch on the open market. Thing that would scare me off would be his instance on the contract being to long.

I didn't see the Saturday game, but today's game had a big positive on it. Is it my imagination, or is Luke playing MUCH better with McDaddy out there with him?  He's making smart break out passes, looks way more confident, is relying on instincts instead of over-thinking the game (his big downfall IMHO) does not even look like the same player. This basically makes signing McDonald a 2 for 1 deal, cause he makes L.Schenn respectable....we have a small sample size, but the early results are very encouraging. For some reason, when he plays with Andrew, his play improves dramatically. This turns a BIG weakness into a strength, I'm loving it!

@jammer2 - Niskanen would definitely bring things the Flyers need (things you mention) but he could be the free agent prize among defensemen this year. He's not really a #1 but some team just might be willing to pay him like one. If Timo does retire they should have the cap space, could be interesting.

@JackStraw  Niskanen has been in the league 8 years, but does not turn 28 until December, so at least he would be in his prime years if he was to get a 5-7 year deal. What scares me is the STUPID money that will tossed at him, I have a feeling he will be way to pricey for the Flyers to afford. He may be 7 mill for 7 years or something crazy like that. It's all supply and demand, and the FA crop for d-men is crappy, so the guys at the top of the scrap heap are gonna get real rich, real quick.

@jammer2 - no way would I give him 7 million. I don't think he'll get THAT much, it's not like he's had a great career up to this point. I think he could get 6, which I think is too much. I'd rather take the risk and wait for Ghost, Morin, and Hagg. But if they could get him for 5 (without excessive years) I think it would be worth it.

If it wasn't for Fleury that game would have got way out of hand in the first. He stopped at least 3 that should have been goals. He was the last guy on that team you can pin that L on.

The first is Blysma. How in the world can the team not be ready to play in the first??? I say that as a hockey fan- not just a Flyers fan. If I am a Pens fan, I am hanging my head pretty low today- despite the valiant attempt to come back. 

or is Luke playing MUCH better with McDaddy out there with him?

Luke had a great weekend. Perhaps his best back-to-back games as a Flyer. Your point about MacD is spot on- thus making it even more urgent we sign him. I like the MacD trade. He is eating up 20 minutes a night and most of the time you don't notice him (which is a good thing). 

The first is Blysma. How in the world can the team not be ready to play in the first??? I say that as a hockey fan- not just a Flyers fan. If I am a Pens fan, I am hanging my head pretty low today- despite the valiant attempt to come back.

Its more than just being ready.  He's clueless in how to adjust during a game.    Just a list of stupid things:

1) every left wing on the team played at some point on the first line today.   Instead of letting one player get used to it, he keeps rotating them in and provides no consistancy.

2) Derek friggin Engelland on the point for the second PP unit? Really?

3) The first two lines are struggling with the injuries, put together a line with Crosby and Malkin on it at the same time to create some offense.

4) In his in game interview he admits, he wants his team to be a grinding team. Really, with two of the most creative offensive talents in the league, he wants to reduce them to grinders.

5) Olli Jokinen and Lee Stempniek, Matt Niskanen and Malkin had more PP time than Crosby today.  Malkin I can partly understand, but he had 3 minutes more? Malkin was aweful bringing up the puck, losing it at the blue line multiple times, and he gets rewarded with more time.

But part of this is management too.  This is what they built.   Crosby's best years are being used up with Kunitz and Dupuis. Don't get me wrong, they give all they can, but let's find a talented winger to play with him and let him go offensively.  The whole dump and grind think is quite boring.

I think that most Pens fans will agree, Bylsma is the problem.  For some reason, even team USA had faith in Bylsma.  I think one more early playoff exit and his done for.

Edited by nossagog

But part of this is management too.  This is what they built.   Crosby's best years are being used up with Kunitz and Dupuis. Don't get me wrong, they give all they can, but let's find a talented winger to play with him and let him go offensively.  The whole dump and grind think is quite boring.

The problem is that 5 players (Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Martin, MAF) comprise 50% of the salary cap. This handcuffs them from doing what you suggest. I really like Neal and think he is a talented winger. The problem (as we see now), if him or Kunitz are down, there is no plan B. That said, Thomas Vanek would look pretty good in black and gold and be the exact player you are suggesting. 

But, Pitts is at the ceiling of the cap. 

You do have to scratch your head and wonder why Iginla did not want to re-sign with Pitts. He is another player that would fill the prescription of what you suggest. 

I suggested a couple of years ago that Pitts would do themselves a big favor by trading either Malkin or Crosby and to keep them both would be problematic to the balance of the team. I don't think that ship has sailed yet (but nearly). 

1) You can't trade Crosby as he is the one that puts people in the seats. 

2) You might be able to trade Malkin- while he has enormous talent, he just is not a guy you can use as your "poster" player. Add to that his salary and it makes it very hard for other teams to want to commit to what it would take to get him. That said, his NMC expires at the end of this season. 

Sid is one hit away from being "lindros'd", so Pitts is in a conundrum. If I am GM, I would try to move one of those guys to balance my team. Give me a tier 2 blue chip player and a couple of #1's. The money they free up on salary would allow them to pursue another high level tier 2 player. So, you get two players for one and prospects (draft choices). 

Its a bit hypocritical to suggest that considering that they have the 6th best record in the league.  I would argue that the Metro division is the weakest of the four so their record is inflated. 

Edited by Vanflyer

@Vanflyerc

Its more than just Kunitz and Neal going down. Plan B falls apart for anyone when you lose 4  forwards from your top 2 lines and your two top defenseman.  

I'd have to agree that moving one of Crosby or Malkin would give them room in salary cap, but its still the style that bugs me with the Pens.  Even when they bring in players like Iginla, they indoctrinate them into the school of grind.

@Vanflyerc

Its more than just Kunitz and Neal going down. Plan B falls apart for anyone when you lose 4  forwards from your top 2 lines and your two top defenseman.  

I'd have to agree that moving one of Crosby or Malkin would give them room in salary cap, but its still the style that bugs me with the Pens.  Even when they bring in players like Iginla, they indoctrinate them into the school of grind.

I noticed that during the broadcast yesterday, they were talking about how the Flyers were luring the Pens into playing "Flyers" hockey, which is grind and cycle. In particular, they said the Pens just aren't that kind of team, and they don't have the personnel to do it; they're more of a finesse team. At the next commercial break, Pierre was interviewing Bylsma on the bench, and Bylsma says he wants his team to be grinding. I thought that was kind of interesting.

In terms of Malkin, I think you have a golden opportunity. If his NMC really does run out at the end of the season, what about trading him to Buffalo for one of their high 1st rounders? They won't trade away their top one, but certainly one or more of the others. Malkin is 27, and I would say has another 4-5 years of top level production, and would be a great talent to build a nucleus around in Buffalo. And the Pens get a high draft pick(s) to restock the cupboard. That also opens up space to sign a guy like Vanek or Moulson.

Spot on. There is NO EXCUSE for their play at the start of Sunday's game and that falls to the coach.

• Like 1

@Vanflyerc

It's almost as if Bylsma has turned into Michel Therien without the taskmaster persona.