HF update on Flyers prospects

flyercanuck

Nice writeup on the Flyers top prospects. Laughton is having a stellar year for the Generals, and Morin and Hagg seem to be coming along. But what I really like to hear is what Gostisbehere is doing. We know he has offensive skills, but the guy was named a finalist for best defensive defenceman in the league. Still concerned a bit about his size, but hearing how well he's responded to looking after his own end of the rink is great news.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/104885/laughton-and-morin-lead-philadelphia-flyers-spring-top-20/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=laughton-and-morin-lead-philadelphia-flyers-spring-top-20

Laughton and Morin lead Philadelphia Flyers Spring Top 20

By Jashvina Shah
March 17th, 2014
Share this story

scott_laughton_oshawa_020614.jpg

Photo: Forward Scott Laughton has been one of the top scorers in the OHL all season and currently has 40 goals and 47 assists through 54 games. Laughton was selected 20th overall in the 2012 NHL Draft. (courtesy of Claus Andersen/Getty Images)

The Philadelphia Flyers have several prospects who have demonstrated leadership, scoring ability, physicality, and good overall potential. The prospect talent is spread across the CHL, Europe, the AHL, and the NCAA.

Players like Scott Laughton, Samuel Morin, and Robert Hagg have continued to show their upside, while others like Michael Raffl and Michael Parks have turned in strong seasons to move up in the rankings. Several players have also experienced shortened seasons due to injury, including Eric Wellwood who dropped out of the top 20.

1. (1) Scott Laughton, C, 7.5B
Drafted 1st round, 20th overall, 2012

Laughton remains at the top spot because he's only improved this season and is very close to being NHL ready. The center, who's with the Oshawa Generals this season, plays a strong two-way game. That was highlighted at the World Junior Championship, where he captained Team Canada and showed he can play wherever he is needed. The center is not extremely skilled, but he can still score and is a hard-working player who puts the team ahead of him. He will do whatever is needed of him and play any role without complaining. He is pretty competitive, and has turned in a good season for the Oshawa Generals, even after the disappointment of not making the Flyers this season.

2. (3) Samuel Morin, D, 7.5C
Drafted 1st round, 11th overall, 2013

Morin, who can still improve his size, is Philadelphia's best defensive prospect. He is a promising prospect already and has potential to grow. Not only is Morin, standing at 6'7, a big skater, but he has also very physical, something that has improved this season. He also makes smart decisions in his own zone.

While he is not very offensive-minded, Morin has set career highs in points this season, with seven goals and 24 assists through 54 games. He has missed playing time with injuries and he has also been suspended several times this season, including an incident where he threw his stick into the stands. Of all of Philadelphia's defensive prospects, Morin has consistently improved and could help Philadelphia's blue line, especially if he works on his offense a little bit more.

3. (6) Robert Hagg, D, 7.0C
Drafted 2nd round, 41st overall, 2013

Hagg moved up to the third spot after a strong showing in the World Junior Championship with Team Sweden. As one of the team's top defensemen, he faced some of the best young talent in the world and held his own. He brought home a silver medal and showed aggressiveness and composure while on the blue line. Hagg, who has played with Modo in the SHL this season, has been inconsistent. It is a big jump for Hagg, and even though he is a physical player, he has struggled to carry that over to the elite league.

4. (4) Shayne Gostisbehere, D, 7.0C
Drafted 3rd round, 78th overall, 2012

Gostisbehere is by far one of the best defensemen in college hockey, and he has playing for one of the best teams in Union. There's no question about the offensive potential he brings, as he is very fast and skilled and has been a huge contribution to Union's offense this season. His defense has been a question mark, but there is no doubt it has improved this season. Gostisbehere was named a finalist for the league's best defensive defenseman award. But at 5'11, he is small for a defenseman and may take more time to adapt to the pros. There is no certainty whether or not Gostisbehere, a junior, will stay for his senior season at Union.

I only posted the top 4 prospects...you can click on the link if you want to read about the rest...

That's great news, thanks for posting FC.

It still raises a bunch of question marks as to what will happen next year. There is no real spot on the squad for Laughton, which is why there's a very real possibility that Brayden Schenn gets moved. Of course, then you solve one problem and introduce another - Vinny gets his center spot back, but still no place for Laughton.

So what if Vinny stays on the wing? Does Coots become 2nd line center? That doesn't seem like a good place for him. His is excelling in his role now, and I'm not sure I would move him to 2nd line center, and I certainly wouldn't pair him with Vinny. Assuming they don't resign Downie, I like the idea of a Read/Coots/Raffl line. Defensively responsible, offensively dangerous. In fact, they should do that now. Downie to the 4th, Raffl to the 3rd.

Sounds like Laughton would either be 3rd or 4th line center on this squad. Is that helpful?

In terms of our defense, they all project to 2nd pairing or lower. Not great, but it's a start. The Flyers are finally loading up on some defensemen. For comparison purposes, Morin is rated the same as Morrissey, Pulock, and Zadorov (who were all selected after him). The other two guys we could have drafted but didn't? Maatta is an 8.5C (top pairing defenseman), and Hamilton is a 9.0C (#1 defenseman). Comparatively, Couturier is an 8.0C (2nd line center as ceiling). Of course, these are only projections.

What kind of prospect are we looking at this year (probably a mid-1st round pick)?

@brelic

I really hope Homer looks at the big picture...the team is a few pieces away from contending so hang onto players who'll still be good or getting better in a few years ..aka Brayden Schenn NOT VLC. I'd be trying to get Vinnie to waive that NTC and deal him for whatever you can to whoever you can.

Laughton starts the year in the A unless he blows me away in camp. There's absolutely no need to rush the guy. And his offence can develop better playing big minutes there than 4th line minutes on the Flyers.

At D Holmgren rolled the dice on Morin. He could really become something. At worst he should be Coburn-like I would think. Yes he could have taken some safer picks but he swung for the fences here and I don't mind. Hagg was a good backup plan in the 2nd. The Maatta/Laughton argument won't be settled for years but most of us feel he may have made the wrong move there. Maybe he did, but if Laughton turns out to be a good NHLer all is not lost. As for the Couturier/Hamilton debate, Couturier is winning at this point and though he is a C, he's helping the team defensively more than Hamilton would.

This years draft is loaded with LWers. That's what I'd be focussed on. It's apparently not a great draft, and we'll have to wait and see how this brutal schedule effects our draft position. It's hard to predict because though the team is playing well, they have the 2nd toughest opponents left to play in the league. I'm going to guess we end up picking 12th...right where Peterborough Petes 6'3" 230 lb LW beast Nic Ritchie is rated.

The Maatta/Laughton argument won't be settled for years but most of us feel he may have made the wrong move there.

Yeah i'm afraid this will be discused for the next decade along with the JVR/Schenn trade.........i'm know i'm tired of it already.

Here is a prospect suggestion for Homer and he is a defenseman.

Righthanded shot none the less.

A little bigger than Maata or same size but he is a Swede and homer has had good luck with the college undrafted free agents.

Homer needs to get on it....

Christian Folin 6' 3" 209

http://www.elitepros...php?player=9799

Scouting report: A defenseman of decent size. Has good potential to become a skilled defenseman in the future. Keeps his game fairly simple and uses his body at good opportunities. Has decent offensive qualities, such as his shot, but is at his best in the defensive zone.

Just a thought........can't have too many blueline prospects.

Edited by OccamsRazor

really hope Homer looks at the big picture...the team is a few pieces away from contending so hang onto players who'll still be good or getting better in a few years ..aka Brayden Schenn NOT VLC. I'd be trying to get Vinnie to waive that NTC and deal him for whatever you can to whoever you can.

from this page to Homer's brain.

I really like what I see from B Schenn, good compete level, is getting stronger on the puck or at least stronger on his skates, and has a decent hockey IQ & finds places to make plays... he's got some  good intangibles.  I would be upset to see him moved unless Duncan Keith 2.0 come back . 

I really hope Homer looks at the big picture...the team is a few pieces away from contending so hang onto players who'll still be good or getting better in a few years ..aka Brayden Schenn NOT VLC. I'd be trying to get Vinnie to waive that NTC and deal him for whatever you can to whoever you can.

Completely agree. But I think we all know the more likely move based on past behaviour. My gut tells me Brayden Schenn is not a Flyer by the end of the draft. 

I'm going to guess we end up picking 12th...right where Peterborough Petes 6'3" 230 lb LW beast Nic Ritchie is rated.

Does that mean you believe the Flyers will miss the playoffs (18th ranked)?

Completely agree. But I think we all know the more likely move based on past behaviour. My gut tells me Brayden Schenn is not a Flyer by the end of the draft. 

Does that mean you believe the Flyers will miss the playoffs (18th ranked)?

I hope someone reminds Homer of JVR if he thinks of moving Schenn. And I don't think that sched is going to do us any favours as far as postseason goes. We certainly can't afford a slump right now, or even .500 hockey.

Hagg, who has played with Modo in the SHL this season, has been inconsistent.

It seems Hagg will be playing for Brynas next year http://bloggar.expre...d-jvm-spelaren/

Philadelphia Flyers, who drafted Robert Hägg obviously want him to have a greater role. Therefore, the move date. Moreover, Hägg from Gimo located between Uppsala and Gävle.

• 4 weeks later...

So the Phantoms back end will look like this next year....

Stolarz

Ghost  Hagg

Alt       Ollie

Lamarche Konan

Manning???

Not to shabby....and still could add Vasilev and Larsson.

Anything less than the playoffs after a 5 year absence would be a failure.