Permanent favorites

Just a question that I really want an answer to:

Why is it that whenever there is a big name player who is either a free agent looking to sign somewhere or a player being shopped, the teams that are "interested" are always the same 5 teams?

Those teams are the Philadelphia Flyers, Boston Bruins, New York Rangers, Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs.

Are they seriously interested in everyone, or is it just because they are large markets? 

I thought of this when I saw Bobby Mac on NBCSN talking about some college free agent that could make it into the NHL soon and before he could say what teams were interested, out loud, I said "I bet Boston and Philly want him" and what do you know, they're interested.

Thanks for the read.

Ian

ihabs1993

Don't forget the Penguins!  I never hear the Canadiens are interested.  Rarely hear the Leafs either.  I think it's usually teams that are strong contenders at the time of the deadline.  Assumed to be making that big trade to put them over the top.  

I think you always hear the Flyers as involved because for better or worse their Ownership/Management group is always agressive. It's part of Ed Snider's "win now" attitude and culture.

On the flip side, players know this and know the Flyers will over pay if/when needed so they tell their agents to at least have a conversation with the Flyers.

Those teams are the Philadelphia Flyers, Boston Bruins, New York Rangers, Montreal Canadiens and Toronto Maple Leafs.

I know what you mean. I also see those 5 teams involved in a lot of trade and UFA rumors. I think it's because hockey is such a big sport in those cities, the phony rumor mongers like Exlund know that those fan bases represent a large portion of the hockey universe, so you start rumors for fans in those specific cities and in turn....this equals web site hits...yup, the almighty buck is at fault here, and the people that exploit the said rumors for pure profit....my best guess....LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

Don't forget the Penguins!  I never hear the Canadiens are interested.  Rarely hear the Leafs either.  I think it's usually teams that are strong contenders at the time of the deadline.  Assumed to be making that big trade to put them over the top.  

Agreed the pens trade and sign alot of players before the end of the trade deadline but it seems alot of them dont last more then 1 or maybe 2 seasons some examples being Kovie, Morrow, Iginla. As far as i know though the pens dont have alot of room when it comes to cap space. Vokoun was a good pickup but idk how well he has been doing for 2mill.

Agreed the Rangers always seem  in on everyone, that is because Glen Sather apparently has nude pictures of the Rangers owner in a compromising position and allows Slats to run the team the same way I run my fantasy team.

The Penguins have an aggressive GM so they deserve to be mentioned with every player, same with the Flyers.

Some teams are in a habitual state of selling so they are never mentioned, like the Panthers and Flames.

Some teams just hardly ever deal like the Wings and the Sharks. Speculating on them is playing a losing game.

I gotta disagree on the Habs, they aren't mentioned that often, at least not outside of Quebec. They IMHO are somewhere between the Wings and the Rangers.