A good rant regarding James Neal

Irishjim

@B21

If you're saying there are various examples around the league of a player recieving leniency for a cheapshot then yes I will agree.

Now how many examples are there of a player who's been let off multiple times for targetting heads whether it's with the lamest excuse anyone could come up with or no excuse at all, they just let him off even though he was just suspended for yet another headshot, and who also somehow walks free from what the rule book says is an automatic suspension for his 3rd diving offence of the year (that's one long sentence which is what Neal should get). Now your list is down to one player. And this time it isn't Matt Cooke...it's a different Pen!

@B21

If you're saying there are various examples around the league of a player recieving leniency for a cheapshot then yes I will agree.

Now how many examples are there of a player who's been let off multiple times for targetting heads whether it's with the lamest excuse anyone could come up with or no excuse at all, they just let him off even though he was just suspended for yet another headshot, and who also somehow walks free from what the rule book says is an automatic suspension for his 3rd diving offence of the year (that's one long sentence which is what Neal should get). Now your list is down to one player. And this time it isn't Matt Cooke...it's a different Pen!

Well if you are going to be that specific... ;)

Not disagreeing with you.  Not even saying Neal hasn't be the most "fortunate" of the offenders (clearly he has). 

But I am so tired of the "yeah we have players who got away with it too but you have a guy who got away with it more..." argument which is exactly what this statement....

I think I speak for all fans of all other teams in saying we hope all THEIR antics (diving now??? what do you mean NOW?) are called, and penalized and suspended the same as any other team.

...is.

And again - Neal (and Cooke) have been/were at this long before they became Penguins.

Keep it about the player and not the team and we have no disagreement.

Keep it about the player and not the team and we have no disagreement.

LMAO!!! Now that is funny.......

Here is yet another article with clips and indiscretions of James Neal...(just so I am not targeting the"team")

http://thehockeywriters.com/making-sense-james-neal-become-one-dirtiest-players-nhl/

Edited by flyerrod

@hf101

Nice write-up from not only a great NHL ref, but also a guy who played as well. Couldn't have said it better myself...actually, I think I have said it..

"I have also seen enough of his play to know something else: James Neal is not my type of hockey player. He has been involved in multiple incidents, showing reckless disregard for the safety of fellow players. Furthermore, he’s a player who has acquired the reputation for being a diver."

" I would hope Sidney Crosby could be told the same thing by an official, but I have not seen that sort of leadership from him."

Honestly, what's Crosby going to say..."I want you to stop diving?" Neal would just break out laughing.

"I think of Neal as a player who has already been suspended three times in his career for dirty hits. That includes a five-game suspension earlier this season for a kneeing incident. Additionally, between his years in Dallas and Pittsburgh, he has previously been involved in least other three potentially suspendable incidents with his stick where he was fined and/or warned by the League."

And another against Detroit, which of course resulted in no suspension.

"Mind you, Neal has already been given a break by the NHL this season for his repeated diving. In a February 7 game against the New York Rangers, Neal received his third penalty of the season for embellishment. There is no doubt that the penalty was deserved."

Yet again, even though the rule states you are to be suspended for your 3rd diving penalty, the league turns their head when a Penguin is involved.

The NHL has sent a message to James Neal that he can do as he pleases until the next time he causes an injury. Flagged repeatedly for diving? That's OK, just sit your two minutes and be on your way. Rinse, wash, repeat.

This isn't B-b-b-b-ut the Pens...this is from an unbiased former ref who also can't believe what this guy gets away with.

Stewart was a joke as a ref. He was as hated here as any official I can think of. I still can't put any respect into his opinions.

The comments about Neal diving against the Rangers... One was deserved, one was borderline, and one was crap... So loses credibility right there.

I'm not counting on the league addressing Neal, I'm hoping Lemieux does. His game against the Blues looked pretty clean to me despite apparent frustration. We'll see...