Flyers - best team in the NHL or best team in the universe?

flyercanuck

Going 4-0 against the best team in the league in the Blues, the Hawks and back to back against the Pens is saying something about this group. Yes I'm kidding about best team in the universe. But these guys are really coming together and I doubt anyone wants to draw them in the first round..

Heck of a win today boys.

@jammer2

Oh I agree with you on that. They aren't winning out and will likely slump at some part.

But it's a nice ride while it lasts...and beating up on the leagues top teams sure is fun to watch. Great experience for the young guys on the team to feel what it's like to win "playoff' type games.

37-18-7

That's their record since the horrid 1-7 start. They've been playing at a .661 pace since then. 

The truth is they're an incredibly fun team to watch now; they are playing for each other; and they're gaining a lot of experience.

In the Pittsburgh games, the Flyers looked like the better team. In the Hawks game, they were pretty evenly matched and the Flyers looked like they were on the same level as the Hawks. In the Blues game, I thought the Flyers looked overmatched and were hanging on for dear life most of the game. Even when they had the lead, the Blues just had more possession time, better passing, better cycling, more pressure on our puck carriers. Man, they're an impressive team. But the Flyers found a way to win, and that's huge!

Mason was the 1st star and he deserved it.

Here are some quotes from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch.

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/hockey/professional/blues-stumble-again-in-loss-to-flyers/article_8f78a463-406a-5e02-b0e1-61a32388c3a3.html

“I thought (Mason’s) level of competition was harder than ours in and around the net area,” Blues coach Ken Hitchcock said. “We hit a lot of goal posts and crossbars, but I don’t think we had the second and third chances as the game wore on that we did in the third period.”

“They’ve beat a lot of good teams in the recent past,” Blues captain David Backes said. “They made no mistake when they had the lead ... they took it to us.”

The second period started off poorly for the Blues and continued that way as Philadelphia built its first lead of the game, 2-1, on Schenn’s 18th goal of the season.

Chris Porter was attempting to pass the puck through the neutral zone, moving it ahead to teammate Ryan Reaves. But Simmonds intercepted the dish and headed back the other way, eventually putting a shot on Miller’s pads.

The long rebound caromed to Schenn, who beat Miller easily for the go-ahead goal with 6:36 remaining in the second period.

“We made a mistake,” Hitchcock said. “We didn’t skate the puck out. So it was the difference in the hockey game.”

The Blues couldn’t catch up in the third period, despite several chances.

“I think overall, it’s not a bad game for us ... obviously better than Chicago,” defenseman Alex Pietrangelo said. “The goals we gave up — breakdowns in our own end — I think we’ve got to find ways when someone makes a mistake to pick them up.”

Added Backes: “(The Flyers) seem to have hit that playoff stride already and that’s something that we’re striving to get to, so that we’re playing every play like it could be the difference in the game or not.”

@flyercanuck  I don't trust them to keep up this torrid pace, but so many victories over a lot of talented squads is more than promising. The Jeckel and Hyde portion of our personality will rear it's ugly head, but right now, like how we are sitting.

I don't think they have one to be honest. The Richards and Carter led teams were Jekyll and Hyde teams. This is a team that is growing/evolving before our eyes. Like Bre said, they've over .600 since the really bad start.