Malkin out 2-3 weeks with foot injury

Polaris922

Penguins center Evgeni Malkin will miss 2-3 weeks with a foot injury, it was announced by head coach Dan Bylsma Tuesday afternoon.

Malkin, 27, suffered the injury on his first shift against the St. Louis Blues Sunday afternoon.

"He got hurt on a play toward the net," Bylsma said.

According to Bylsma, "the doctors haven't indicated" that Malkin will need surgery on the injury."

The timing couldn't have been worse for Malkin, who was starting to play at an extremely high level. In a two-game span against Detroit and Tampa Bay he posted four goals and six points before Sunday's game against the Blues.

"It was a strong couple of games and to get that news it is disappointing," Bylsma said. "We'd like him to remember and watch the last couple of games in terms of how he was playing for 2-3 weeks from now."

Malkin missed 12 games earlier this season with lower-body injuries. He has 23 goals and 72 points in 60 games this season.

The Penguins have suffered 439 man-games lost this season, by far the most in the National Hockey League.

This explains why Megna was called up. 

At this point I think we concede #1 overall to the Bruins. They aren't making up 7 points with 10 games left with no Martin and no Letang and now no Malkin.

This explains why Megna was called up. 

At this point I think we concede #1 overall to the Bruins. They aren't making up 7 points with 10 games left with no Martin and no Letang and now no Malkin.

And I'm okay with that.  Second int he conference with all these injuries?  And Boston had to go on a red hot streak to take it?  I'm okay with that.  

All the injuries to your guys... whom did you piss off ?

I couldn't imagine the Flyers record with no Schenn, (the good one) No Timmonen, No Coburn,  no Voracek, no Emery. No Simmonds  I mean wow, it speaks well of the organizational depth and coaching that the team is playing at a high level and not just sucking hind teat. 

Time for Crosby to carry the team and salt away the Hart trophy.

"We'd like him to remember and watch the last couple of games in terms of how he was playing for 2-3 weeks from now."

Is that an underhanded back slap? The way I read that quote it, don't forget you started stepping up to the plate again. 

In all seriousness, the best I have seen Malkin play is without Crosby (ie. crosby injured). I have riddled myself to death that one or the other should be moved. Its not liken to a Richards / Carter trade situation, but sort of in a way. The return would be great, but the team has to have the cap room to accept. Frankenstein jokes aside, Malkin is not a poster boy that you can market. 

The last part is that aside of the two stud centers, Pitts is weak up the middle. So if Malkin was to go, you need to get a 2nd tier center, plus picks /prospects back. 

At the end of the day, is anyone worth nearly 25% of your teams salary? Even sid?

What kind of hockey is that? 

This is the last chance pitts has at the cup again. 14 unsigned contracts and Malkin / Crosby / Fleury absorbing nearly 1/3 of the cap hit. I am going to enjoy a stogie watching Boston smoke them and then a few more in the following seasons watching how they tank. 

Wow that hurts. Like you said Pol he is getting hot right now.

In the long run, it might be a good thing. You know the Pens are a number two seed, just rest people and set your lines for the post season, nobody dragging going into the second season. Plus Malkin will be fresh.

Is that an underhanded back slap? The way I read that quote it, don't forget you started stepping up to the plate again.

In all seriousness, the best I have seen Malkin play is without Crosby (ie. crosby injured). I have riddled myself to death that one or the other should be moved. Its not liken to a Richards / Carter trade situation, but sort of in a way. The return would be great, but the team has to have the cap room to accept. Frankenstein jokes aside, Malkin is not a poster boy that you can market.

The last part is that aside of the two stud centers, Pitts is weak up the middle. So if Malkin was to go, you need to get a 2nd tier center, plus picks /prospects back.

At the end of the day, is anyone worth nearly 25% of your teams salary? Even sid?

What kind of hockey is that?

This is the last chance pitts has at the cup again. 14 unsigned contracts and Malkin / Crosby / Fleury absorbing nearly 1/3 of the cap hit. I am going to enjoy a stogie watching Boston smoke them and then a few more in the following seasons watching how they tank.

Not a slap, no. Malkin admitted in an interview he'd been dragging because of the Olympic disappointment. He said Crosby talked to him an re-energized him to go after the Cup again. Malkin had 6 points the next two games and was stellar. That's the reference.

As for last run... Not a chance. The salary cap goes back up and we get hometown discounts from a lot of players. The rise in the cap is what matters. A lot of entry level defensemen will help that too.

A lot of Flyers fans seem to think we're in cap trouble when really we're as tight right now as we're going to get.

You cheer on the Bruins all you want. If we get a healthy team back for the playoffs we'll see what happens.

As for last run... Not a chance. The salary cap goes back up and we get hometown discounts from a lot of players. The rise in the cap is what matters. A lot of entry level defensemen will help that too.

A lot of Flyers fans seem to think we're in cap trouble when really we're as tight right now as we're going to get.

I guess. But fourteen unsigned players with 5 players taking up nearly 35M of your cap. How many will want to re-sign after being eliminated again? Also, how many will want to re-sign after seeing Danny boys inadequacies as a coach? 

I guess. But fourteen unsigned players with 5 players taking up nearly 35M of your cap. How many will want to re-sign after being eliminated again? Also, how many will want to re-sign after seeing Danny boys inadequacies as a coach?

IF they're eliminated again, it won't chase anyone off. If they quit that easy you don't want them anyway. Hell the Flyers would have a new roster every year! ;)

As for coaching, that's part if the problem. Bylsma is a players coach. He's too easy on them! Nobody leaves for that reason!