Pens vs Hawks 3/30/14

Polaris922

So is it a battle to see who can lose?  Two teams seriously struggling since the Oympics clash tonight in what is a matchup nobody can predict.  Which Hawks team will show up?  Will the Pens come out with any emotion or just business as usual lately like none of the games matter?  I get it that the games really DON'T matter right now but I'm not so sure I want the club limping into the playoffs on a down streak.  They seemed to adjust the playing style to playoff hockey already these past few games, but honestly... is that the style the Pens win with?  Against teams like Boston I think we have to play that way, but we still seem to come up a hair short against them on a game per game basis in the playoffs, hence last year's ending.  

So what is the answer?  I dunno...   sometimes it's good to be a fan and not the coach I guess.  

I'm looking for both teams to come out trying to make a statement.  Its coming down to the end of the season, and all the cliches should be in place.  Want to play playoff hockey.  Want to go into the playoffs on a winning note.  blah blah blah.   

I want to see how Beau does in his second game back. He was outstanding against the Jackets,  build on it Beau.

I love games like this between two teams that have been struggling but are giants.

This game is almost a must win for the Hawks to attempt to wrestle control of second place in the division from the pesky Avalanche while Pittsburgh has nothing to play for.

I have seen teams before, including my Wings who have everything wrapped up and go flat with about a month to go, injuries or just plain apathy can set in and the team tells themselves that they will turn it back on when the time merits it. Some can, some cannot. I remember one year the Wings with a month to go had the division wrapped up and slid through the final ten, twelve games, they faced the Kings in the first round and the Kings upset them because every game down the stretch was like a playoff game for Los Angeles and every game for the Wings had been like an exhibition. Not saying the Penguins are going to have the same thing happen, just saying it should be a concern and Bylsma needs to figure out a way to fire up his troops. Otherwise, I hope my Wings draw Pittsburgh in the first round and ambush ya. (Okay NOW I know I have been missing too much sleep lately, lol).

Orpik just absolutely destroyed Toews...   I'm starting to think he's ramping it up for the playoffs.  It seems we're seeing more and more big hits from him as the season comes to a close...  

Ready for the "Orpik is dirty..." or "Pens got away with another...." BS that is sure to follow? ;)

Did you hear Milbury between periods?  He stopped short of saying Orpik should have let up on him but was critical of Orpik for taking advantage of a guy in a vulnerable position.  Excuse me but what big-hitting player wouldn't take advantage of a guy in a vulnerable position?  More proof that 1) Milbury loathes the Pens and B) nothing he says can be taken seriously.

Good overall game by the Pens. Couple gaps where the Hawks got a good forecheck going and Fleury had to be strong but they were up for it. Had a playoff feel to it. Maybe the Pens are up for the playoffs after all...

The Pens played well tonite (I missed the 1st period), Fleury looked so sharp & superb in net (sigh, of course had to be this game against the Hawks lol)...I'm really quite surprised at how bad the Hawks have been playing of late.  So @Polaris922, what is your honest opinion on the hit on Toews, besides the fact he should have been aware that Orpik was out there, do you think it was a completely clean hit? There was a fair bit of contact with the head. I do think Toews should have known better & kept his head up for sure.

The Pens played well tonite (I missed the 1st period), Fleury looked so sharp & superb in net (sigh, of course had to be this game against the Hawks lol)...I'm really quite surprised at how bad the Hawks have been playing of late. So @Polaris922, what is your honest opinion on the hit on Toews, besides the fact he should have been aware that Orpik was out there, do you think it was a completely clean hit? There was a fair bit of contact with the head. I do think Toews should have known better & kept his head up for sure.

Initial contact is 100% shoulder. Follow through rides up and glances his head but that's more a result of Toews going down than anything Orpik did. 100% clean hit.

Initial contact is 100% shoulder. Follow through rides up and glances his head but that's more a result of Toews going down than anything Orpik did. 100% clean hit.

You figure it is the shoulder hitting the boards that would be injured but it wasn't.  It was his left shoulder which was the principal point of contact.

Ok, you'd know Orpik better than me, I haven't seen a whole lotta Pens games this season. I guess the replay made it look worse than it was, or intended. I am glad it's just a shoulder injury in this case & not injury to the head, even accidentally. But hopefully nothing too serious.

You figure it is the shoulder hitting the boards that would be injured but it wasn't.  It was his left shoulder which was the principal point of contact.

Haha, yah I was actually thinking the exact same thing when I saw the replay.

No bitching here other than it may have been a tad late(Toews was looking at the puck going away when Orprick checked him). He did stay low and it was shoulder to shoulder on the check (the head contact was minimal and from Toews dropping from the hit). I am surprised the hawks let him get away with destroying their Captain without so much as a wimper. I look forward to some of you Pens fans turning the other cheek when some team does that to your Captain though. ;)

No bitching here other than it may have been a tad late(Toews was looking at the puck going away when Orprick checked him). He did stay low and it was shoulder to shoulder on the check (the head contact was minimal and from Toews dropping from the hit). I am surprised the hawks let him get away with destroying their Captain without so much as a wimper. I look forward to some of you Pens fans turning the other cheek when some team does that to your Captain though. ;)

We already have. Crosby gets knocked on his wallet (as does Malkin) a lot. As long as its clean you won't hear a word out of those that post here. The ultimate revenge is a clean check back later. We're all for that.

(Knock on wood...)

Good luck with that.  He rarely puts himself in a position where he is danger of that kind of hit.  :D

Yeah, me too. :unsure:

I think your Hawks and my Pens have had bad olympics hangovers.  Nothing else to point to but that.  When the playoffs come calling, that should be more than enough intensity to get their blood moving again.  

Good luck with that. He rarely puts himself in a position where he is danger of that kind of hit. :D

There is no arguing that point. Crosby is as slippery as greased pig at a country fair when it comes to lining him up for a legal check. His exceptional vision has saved him more often than not.