Random Observations

CoachX

I was really happy after last night's game. Considering it was "a loss", this is highly unusual for me. However, I really like the way this Flyers TEAM plays. In this recent stretch of games against the best teams in the league, they have held their own, and played every bit as good as the opposition, while consistently getting points and maintaining a plyoff spot. I don't know if I am totally on board with them as a contender (mostly because a life long Flyer fan is genetically bogged down with Flyer pessimism), but I am starting to think they can make some serious noise. Other teams have ben able to get hot at the right time, maybe the Flyers can do the same.

I'm not sure what is wrong with Timonen, but him not being there put Streit on the first unit power play. For a while now I have wanted to see this because it just seems like Kimmo can't get the puck on net. In fact, I think he has one of the lowest shooting percentages on the team, with just Rinaldo and Grossmann being lower. I may get lambasted for daring to say such blaspheme, but what the hell, right? I also think Giroux should shoot more often.

Lastly, and I know the team has moved on and isn't designed for it, but I would love to see more fights. I have no good arguemnt for it other than I love it and its fun to watch

I'm not sure what is wrong with Timonen

"Upper body injury". He used his face to beat the crap out of a puck.

BkAKPcvCEAAOSEi.png

This team doesn't even remotely resemble the team that started the season (or the team from last year). Berube has to get a lot of credit, he has done a great job this year.

"Upper body injury". He used his face to beat the crap out of a puck.

BkAKPcvCEAAOSEi.png

This team doesn't even remotely resemble the team that started the season (or the team from last year). Berube has to get a lot of credit, he has done a great job this year.

@Jack & CoachX,

Agreed... this Team is playing really good hockey and they are winning games by playing as a Team.  I am pleasantly surprised with the defense as of late and I think Schenn has been one of the better defensmen on the Team.  Not sure if it is b/c MacD is playing on his pairing or maybe, just maybe (?), he is turning the corner.  

One thing last night that was mentioned above is Giroux's passing.  He is such a great passer but I would love to see him shoot more.  Specifically, on the 2 vs ) w/ Raffl.   Either way there is not much to comlplain about these days and Berube deserves a lot of credit.  No team is going to want to match up against the Flyers in the first round.   However, I am not sure I would put them at the "contender" level yet.  I love what I see but feel they are a few pieces away.  Although, anything can happen and they are playing great hockey at the right time so I would not be shocked to see them make a run.  I sure hope they do...

The turnaround of this team is nothing short of amazing. We're definitely not as talented as the St.Louis and Bostons, but we hung in there with them and made them sweat. We can contend for the Stanley this year which is awesome. I'm not saying our chances are great, but we'll be in it and I think a lot of people will be surprised at how good this team actually is. We're playing playoff hockey now... which is always a good way to enter the playoffs. 

• Like 2

It was mentioned that the team is a few pieces away. I wonder if it could be more appropriate to say they just need more time for the current pieces to really peak. I'm not sure where moves can be made in the near future. They appear to have the goalie they need. They have a young core. They are good on face offs and special teams. And overall, really solid. I know the defense gets alot of negative opinion, but they look pretty good to me. I think this is Kimmo's last season and McDonald is a contract question mark, so maybe there can be an upgrade there.

I'm curious, what piece does everyone see the team needing?

It was mentioned that the team is a few pieces away. I wonder if it could be more appropriate to say they just need more time for the current pieces to really peak. I'm not sure where moves can be made in the near future. They appear to have the goalie they need. They have a young core. They are good on face offs and special teams. And overall, really solid. I know the defense gets alot of negative opinion, but they look pretty good to me. I think this is Kimmo's last season and McDonald is a contract question mark, so maybe there can be an upgrade there.

I still think the defense needs to be upgraded.  Even if Kimmo comes back for one more year and MacD is signed I still believe they need to upgrade the defense.  #1 dmen are hard to come by but there should be other opps to strengthen the defense.  I would still like to see them add another scoring threat at wing as well.  I would like this Team's core to remain in tact and have them grow together but no Team is the same every year. 

Chris Pronger. I know, I know. 

Or Shea Weber.

I think we all need to move on from the Weber idea.   1) he is going to cost an absolute fortune and you will have to gut this Team to acquire him.  2) his contract in terms of length is a huge question - can he keep playing at that level?  He plays a tough game and I am not sure his body will be able to hold up like a Lidstrom.

I think we all need to move on from the Weber idea.   1) he is going to cost an absolute fortune and you will have to gut this Team to acquire him.  2) his contract in terms of length is a huge question - can he keep playing at that level?  He plays a tough game and I am not sure his body will be able to hold up like a Lidstrom.

I know.

Let's hope that Hagg & Morin turn into an elite top defensive pairing. (Won't be for 2 or 3 years.)

A true sniper for G. Maybe Voracek becomes that guy, but he seems to be an (over)pass-first kinda guy like Giroux. You can't get a young one without paying a LOT, so maybe a short-term vet, like an Iginla, Vanek, Moulson, etc. 

And we do need a true #1 defenseman. You know, maybe we can get by without one, but it's really difficult. Pittsburgh won a Cup without one (unless you consider Gonchar a true #1), so it can be done. We just need Mason to get on a roll, and the team to continue its commitment to defense.

Time. This is the biggest one, and you alluded to it in your post. This team just needs a few more years of growing and developing together. 

A true sniper for G. Maybe Voracek becomes that guy, but he seems to be an (over)pass-first kinda guy like Giroux. You can't get a young one without paying a LOT, so maybe a short-term vet, like an Iginla, Vanek, Moulson, etc. 

And we do need a true #1 defenseman. You know, maybe we can get by without one, but it's really difficult. Pittsburgh won a Cup without one (unless you consider Gonchar a true #1), so it can be done. We just need Mason to get on a roll, and the team to continue its commitment to defense.

Time. This is the biggest one, and you alluded to it in your post. This team just needs a few more years of growing and developing together. 

THIS ^^^^

I have feeling Hagg will be here in 2-3 years... Morin might take longer and is a project.

I watched Hagg's first game with the Phantoms on Saturday and I don't think it will take 2-3 years. I think he could be a call up next season, assuming he stays here rather than going back to Sweden.

I watched Hagg's first game with the Phantoms on Saturday and I don't think it will take 2-3 years. I think he could be a call up next season, assuming he stays here rather than going back to Sweden.

Good to hear Jack... I just hope he is not rushed.   can he go back to Sweden now?  He officially signed the contract w/ the Flyers so he is expected to play for the Phantoms correct?

Good to hear Jack... I just hope he is not rushed.   can he go back to Sweden now?  He officially signed the contract w/ the Flyers so he is expected to play for the Phantoms correct?

He's finishing the rest of the year with the Phantoms. Next year I think he could go back to Sweden if he or the Flyers wanted him to. I think it will be better for him to stay here. He has all the tools, he just needs to get comfortable with the North American game.

I understand the opinions about a #1 defenseman, but seriously, WHO?

Unless I missed something the top two UFA d-men for 2014 are Timonen and Dan Boyle, followed ny Andrj Markov. If Kimmo is retiring and his money is off the books, I certainly don't want to throw it at either Boyle or Markov. I also don't necessarily want to try to extend or resign him. Streit and McDonald look pretty good to me and with two young guys coming up, I would much rather just re-sign McDonald. Let this core gel. I don't really see where there is an impact #1 out there

I understand the opinions about a #1 defenseman, but seriously, WHO?

Unless I missed something the top two UFA d-men for 2014 are Timonen and Dan Boyle, followed ny Andrj Markov. If Kimmo is retiring and his money is off the books, I certainly don't want to throw it at either Boyle or Markov. I also don't necessarily want to try to extend or resign him. Streit and McDonald look pretty good to me and with two young guys coming up, I would much rather just re-sign McDonald. Let this core gel. I don't really see where there is an impact #1 out there

You're right. The only way is through a trade. But Homer never lets reality get in the way of business! :)

Let this core gel.

great post - inspirational even!

When the Flyers were in Cellar-Land

Let this core gel

Bounce away Kane for a JVR

Let this core gel

Go down Homer

Down to HQ

Tell old Ed the perspective new

Let this core gel