Top UFA's this summer

The following are the top unrestricted free agents this coming offseason. 

Goalies lead the class. Stars and depth players include:

Ryan Miller

Jonas Hiller

Jaroslav Halak

Brian Elliott

Chad Johnson

Defense is a thin group, a few aging veterans but Matt Niskanen is due a huge payday

Matt Niskanen

Andrei Markov

Dan Boyle

Marek Zidlicky

Kimmo timmonen

Center has a bunch of question marks but players who could help a team

Paul Stastny

Olli Jokinen

Dave Bolland

David Legwand

Wingers are deep and where most of the talent is in this class

Thomas Vanek

Ryan Callahan

Matt Moulson

Mike Cammeleri

Marion Gaborik

Jarome Iginla

Josi Jokinen

Radem Vrbata

Overall, lots of snipers looking for a payday, deep goalie class, not much at center and a few solid d-men. My top ten:

10. Dan Boyle aging but can still run a power play

9. Callahan  two way forward and team leader

8. Iginla  30 goals this year.

7. Jonas Hiller. Underrated, one heck of a goalie

6. Paul Stastny rated here because he is the only real top tier center

5. Niskanen Picked a great time for his career year.

4. Markov  Can run a power play been healthy for several years

3. Moulson perfect fit for a lot of teams

2. Miller. Likely to resign with Blues

1. Vanek  Looking forward to free agency for years.

Overall, a pretty solid free agency class, deeper than several years in the past.

Ryan Miller

Jonas Hiller

Jaroslav Halak

Brian Elliott

Chad Johnson

Defense is a thin group, a few aging veterans but Matt Niskanen is due a huge payday

Matt Niskanen

Andrei Markov

Dan Boyle

Marek Zidlicky

Kimmo timmonen

Paul Stastny

Olli Jokinen

Dave Bolland

David Legwand

Thomas Vanek

Ryan Callahan

Matt Moulson

Mike Cammeleri

Marion Gaborik

Jarome Iginla

Josi Jokinen

Radem Vrbata

Overall, lots of snipers looking for a payday, deep goalie class, not much at center and a few solid d-men. My top ten:

Overall, a pretty solid free agency class, deeper than several years in the past.

If by several years, you mean last year's half season and this season. Not sure about Markov. He seems to be made of glass since he hit age 30. Granted he does have a nice pass, but he is turning 36 next year. I'd rather resign Boyle for 1 more year for less because he shoots better from the point. We have a lot of pass first guys. Boyle indicated he would take a paycut to stay in SJ like the other guys did and he knows he is not getting 6.66 million again with his performance drop. MAYBE 4.5 million for 1 year. Demers is getting close to being able to take over the offensive duties but he passes too much too. GRRRRR

Defense is our weak point. Having Burns move to forward sucked for our D corps, but he is so damn good as a power forward that I do not want him to move back. He plays so weird that people cannot figure him out. Hell, I can't figure him out. I watch him and go "no, you should never......what? It worked? GO BURNSY!"

I would KILL to have Vanek on a wing in San Jose, but we could never afford him. Unless.......Are you listening Doug Wilson....? COMPLIANCE BUYOUT HAVLAT.

God, Vanek with Thornton......Or on Pavelski's line.....or on Couture's line...Or move Marleau back to Center on the 4th line.....

Damn we have a lot of great centers.

Edit: ill confess, we cheat on faceoffs because we have so many centers. but hey, it works.

Confession #2: I would also like Moulson over Havlat.

BUY OUT HAVLAT

Edited by J0e Th0rnton

@J0e Th0rnton

Havlat? I thought he retired after being Kronwalled in the playoffs a few years ago......

I watch a lot of Montreal games, and Markov for the past two seasons has been healthy and back to his usual laser like passing ways. Holes on defense? sure. But the sucker can run the point as well as any free agent out there.

BTW I have been saying for a year that the Wings need to sign Boyle this offseason. He still has something left to give and he would be a perfect offensive compliment. Let the bidding begin.

@J0e Th0rnton

Havlat? I thought he retired after being Kronwalled in the playoffs a few years ago......

I watch a lot of Montreal games, and Markov for the past two seasons has been healthy and back to his usual laser like passing ways. Holes on defense? sure. But the sucker can run the point as well as any free agent out there.

BTW I have been saying for a year that the Wings need to sign Boyle this offseason. He still has something left to give and he would be a perfect offensive compliment. Let the bidding begin.

Havlat might as well have retired lol. Yeah I'd take Boyle back so long as it was a 1 year deal. He has been on decline the past few years. Still very good tho

I would love to get Stastny on the Devils to take some of the pressure off Zajac, and improve our depth up the middle, which is sorely lacking. Moulson would also be a great fit. Unfortunately I think they'll get better offers from teams closer to contending.

I would love to get Stastny on the Devils to take some of the pressure off Zajac, and improve our depth up the middle, which is sorely lacking. Moulson would also be a great fit. Unfortunately I think they'll get better offers from teams closer to contending.

Stastny to the Devils makes sense in so many ways with his father Peter having played with the Devils. I can see that. He would fit in very well and would make up for some of the losses you guys have suffered the last few years.

They definitely need something. Why not Stastny. Who knows. A lot of the better clubs might not be able to afford them

Some comments after glancing at the list:

I agree on Miller and Hiller being top prize goalie UFA's, though I also agree Miller may stay on with the Blues....probably making Elliot expendable...though to be honest, unless Elliot is asking for the moon and he insists he is a starting goaltender, I don't see why the Blues couldn't keep him as well...

Otherwise, an underrated UFA goalie Al Montoya, could be had as he only made about 600K this season, so even with a raise, could be afforded.

Actually, I think Montoya makes sense for a few clubs who need a decent goaltender who doesn't make a ton.

Montoya has put pretty decent numbers playing for some really awful defensive teams in the NY Islanders and Winnipeg Jets, who coincidentally, have trouble consistently scoring as well.

Put this guy behind a decent defense or on a team that can score a bit better, and he may not be a bad fit at all, IMO.

As for defense, I never really was a huge Dan Boyle fan, even when he was with the Lightning, but I DO AGREE, that as he aged, his defensive play became much better (though still far from elite), he is pretty tough and durable, and yes, he most certainly can and still does, run a very good PP.

Not sold on Markov being a sound investment....especially assuming he will be looking for a big payday...even if he has been healthy the last two years. He is on the downside of his career now and those injuries could crop up all over again...especially if he ends up with a team who needs him to play a more physical style.

The Habs are happy for him to be a passer and D-line playmaker, where, unless he gets blasted by a bruising forward, he would be fine doing...but still...his injury track record burns deep in my mind.

Niskanen's overall play just may be the product of playing with so many good players, and as was pointed out, it is a career year that stands out from other decent to good years.

Can he do what he did this season continually moving forward if someone ponied up and paid him big? Not so sure...

To that end, I'd like to add two Minnesota Wild players who are underrated defensemen in Nate Prosser and Clayton Stoner.

I'd like Minny to keep them both, or even the TB Lightning to sign one or the other, but that probably won't happen due to vets such as Keith Ballard (Min) and Matt Carle (TB) being on the respective rosters.

Now, Prosser and Stoner won't put up eye popping numbers, but both are solid enough defensemen, both play with lots of grit and sandpaper, and both have an underrated ability to skate and keep up with some of the NHL's best forwards.

Stoner will even drop the gloves and hold his own in the fisticuffs department in defense of his teammates as well....although Stoner IS an injury risk...he almost always seems to need some games off every season to tend to injuries.

Prosser on the other hand, is a classic D-man version of an agitator. He WILL engage opposing forwards trying to make plays in front of his goaltender, he WILL push bodies, and will hit and hit  hard when given the opportunity, and usually makes pretty good passes out of his zone to relieve pressure, making him a decent add to any team's PK units.

He does try to fight at times, but isn't particularly good at it....though he is a good sized guy...but he is usually better off drawing penalties and playing a solid (if irritating to the other teams) brand of defense.

Neither of these guys should cost teams a bunch of money...Stoner is currently making $1.1M, while Prosser is only at 850K...neither are 'old men' (29 and 27 respectively), so even with raises, could provide just about any team with good value as 2nd or 3rd pair D-men...depending on who else the team has to play the blue line already.

I will leave wingers alone as I too agree there are many good ones made available, with guys that can fit just about anywhere, so long as the paying team can really afford to have them without crippling their cap space for the next few seasons.

Thomas Vanek to Minnesota seems like a foregone conclusion, but not really....that is what everyone seems to be saying, but things may turn out different..especially if the Wild decide to hang to Matt Moulson and something between he and the team could be worked out.

I'd love to have Vanek on the Wild though........

Callahan, Cammallari, Iginla...all very good choices if a team can afford them also.

Centers?

Paul Statsny is the obvious top dog there, yes.

Buuut, I also think Olli Jokinen, even at age 35, can provide some good value.

He too has played on offensively challenged teams like the Islanders and Jets, yet always seems to be able to put up decent numbers, has a knack for finding streaking players to the net, and will even camp out himself around the fronts of nets at times.

He also has just a smidge of nastiness to his game, where he will engage in the physical aspect of play (checking, not fighting), that will certainly get the attention of the other team...thus his skillset translates real well to a 2nd or 3rd line center on just about any team....and he shouldn't be that expensive either.

$4 and a half mil according to capgeek this season? Well, if someone makes him an offer around that, it wouldn't be the worst deal in the world.

I could see the Flyers pursuing either Elliot or Montoya for the back up position. Besides Emery's shut out the other day, he has been ordinary. I think we could get much better bang out of our back-up situation. A guy like Elliot could take a lot of heat off Mason and even steal a few of his starts. Maybe Elliot gets a crack at a #1 job from another team, but doubt he and Montoya could both secure a #1 job, so the Flyers could get one of the two. Another name, and I might even put him before Montoya and Elliot is Chad Johnson. The Bruins would be crazy to not re-sign him, he has been flat out stellar.....good enough he can ask for a significant raise. Since the Bruins are always right at the cap, they would probably have to make a cash saving deal to have the ability to sign Chad.....and I seem to remember they have quite a few players entering RFA and UFA status this summer.

As for defense, I never really was a huge Dan Boyle fan, even when he was with the Lightning, but I DO AGREE, that as he aged, his defensive play became much better (though still far from elite), he is pretty tough and durable, and yes, he most certainly can and still does, run a very good PP.

As a Sharks fan, I was a bit put off by his reputation defensively when we got him. I expected him and Lukowich(Also came in the trade) to be really bad from what Lightning fans told me.

I was surprised as hell that he was solid defensively right out the gate for the sharks. Maybe the team defensive philosophy style on the sharks just fit his game way better, but I can honestly say he was always solid so far, with a mistake here and there.

As a Sharks fan, I was a bit put off by his reputation defensively when we got him. I expected him and Lukowich(Also came in the trade) to be really bad from what Lightning fans told me.

I was surprised as hell that he was solid defensively right out the gate for the sharks. Maybe the team defensive philosophy style on the sharks just fit his game way better, but I can honestly say he was always solid so far, with a mistake here and there.

Well, to be fair, while with the Panthers then the Lightning, Boyle was still a young player learning his craft.

What you heard from some TB fans was probably an exaggeration.

Like I said, I was never a big fan of his as he WAS a defensive liability with the Bolts....though he always had a spot in the lineup due to his offense and his ability to pass and skate like a forward from the blue line.

I am pretty sure his defense improved once he went to the Sharks, and it probably helped him that he was playing with some more seasoned vets there, not to mention much better goaltending overall as compared to the Lightning at the time....but I can say I've watched a few Sharks games where Boyle mishandling the puck or pinching in at the wrong time cost his team and odd man rush the other way and sometimes a score.

Boyle is Boyle...but teams always wanted him because, for the most part, he helped more than he hindered.

I remember a couple seasons ago when Brent Burns was sent to the Sharks, you had both Boyle and Burns, defensemen who both played like forwards, and that helped the offense tremendously...however, teams could ALWAYS count on getting prime scoring chances when either of those two were on the ice for SJ..sometimes when BOTH were on.

The conversion of Burns to power forward was brilliant, as it seems he didn't improve his defensive game as much as Boyle did over the last few seasons.

Lukowich was never a star defenseman, but what he did bring was heart, soul, and a willingness to do whatever it took to disrupt a developing play.

It's what made him successful in Dallas, it's what helped the Bolts win their Cup in 2004, and while I didn't watch much of him with the Sharks, I am sure he brought that there as well..though at that point, his career was nearing its end, if I am not mistaken.

Oh, and while looking through the D-men UFA's, I see where Pit's Derek Engelland and the Avs' Cory Sarich are UFA's.

If anyone is in the market for hard hitting, stay at home types, either one of these guys could fit the bill and compliment any teams offensive type D-man real well.

• 1 month later...

Ryan Miller

Jonas Hiller

Jaroslav Halak

Brian Elliott

Chad Johnson

Matt Niskanen

Andrei Markov

Dan Boyle

Marek Zidlicky

Kimmo timmonen

Paul Stastny

Olli Jokinen

Dave Bolland

David Legwand

Thomas Vanek

Ryan Callahan

Matt Moulson

Mike Cammeleri

Marion Gaborik

Jarome Iginla

Josi Jokinen

Radem Vrbata

For the love of god Doug Wilson, you better make a serious pitch for one of those two. Niskanen can play RD or LD and would be my choice. Markov is still good for his Age and plays LD, which is where we are weak.

My preference would still be to throw an offer sheet at Ryan Ellis and trade Demers' rights away(Without Vlasic he is nothing). We also have to extend Braun NOW, before he has a career year. His improvements this season were astronomical. I was skeptical of Larry Robinson's ability to coach defense and PK, but I was wrong.

Ryan Miller

Jonas Hiller

Jaroslav Halak

Brian Elliott

Chad Johnson

Matt Niskanen

Andrei Markov

Dan Boyle

Marek Zidlicky

Kimmo timmonen

Paul Stastny

Olli Jokinen

Dave Bolland

David Legwand

Thomas Vanek

Ryan Callahan

Matt Moulson

Mike Cammeleri

Marion Gaborik

Jarome Iginla

Josi Jokinen

Radem Vrbata

Well, we can scratch Elliott off the list now.

Dan Boyle is apparently getting texts from old friends asking him to come play on their team. Nothing specific though. but him and StLouis are still tight.

What you will get in Dan Boyle is going to hinge on how much of a recovery from that concussion he can make. His reaction time has suffered visibly. He hesitates on shots now to the point of letting shooting lanes close before he can get the shot off, and his puck moving abilities have deteriorated. Especially on the powerplay. His reaction time and reflexes defensively have suffered even more. He has gotten very easy to deke out of his skates 1 on 1. We started using Marleau for Zone entries on the PP, even though he is not that shifty or good at them because of Dan's decline.

I love the guy. Plays 110% and is passionate. But at this point, while I am sentimental, it was just time to let him go. He was already on the decline before the concussion, and it just made it spike.

If you only spend 3.5 million on him and shelter his even strength minutes, you will be pleased. if you spend any more, you might second guess it later unless he makes a dramatic turnaround.

I hope to god Doug Wilson tries to land Niskanen, but Doug Wilson has never been one to spend on good UFA's. I think he wants to pick up cheaper guys and look like a genius if they fit in. In fact, other than Torres and an ancient Blake, his usual UFA pickup's are gems like Burish, Kennedy, Wallin and a 43 year old Claude Lemieux.

Given our enormous cap space, he better do something. He likes to brag about getting below average market value ontracts for our core, well, use the money you saved to plug holes you dinkledork!!!

Cammaleri and Niskanen would be ideal. And another Left side defenseman.

Awesome. Wilson just literally told everyone he is not going to likely be looking at UFA's at all. He is planning on playing the kids and forcing their development, even if it means losing. Keeps using the word "rebuild"

I think he went off the deep end. He had to find some way to save his job and he somehow convinced the owners that a rebuild was a good idea.

Maybe if you stopped plugging guys like Ian White, Colin White, Kent Huskins, Nick Wallin and an aged Scott Hannan in and went out to really try to fill the deep needs of defense with real players, your job would be safer. Oh, and let's not forget the wonderful forward acquisitions of Kennedy, Burish, and numerous other plugs through the years.

The entire interview just filled me with dread for what is to come.

• 2 weeks later...

@TropicalFruitGirl26@jammer2@MadDevil@yave1964

At this point, I would not mind making a pitch for Callahan. We have a big hole up front with Burns moving back to D. Best puck possession duo in the league broken up. Seeing Kings fans say they were happy Burns was being moved back because the line gave them fits and chills was heartwarming, but annoying.

Defensively, the Sharks are not going after UFA's by listening to DW.

But Callahan apparently wants 6.5 million over 6 years, which is way overpayment for a guy who has never hit 30 goals or 55 points and is about to turn 30. GRRRRRRR. Because of the ridiculous fact that some teams will pay this kind of money, Entry level contracts on good players are going to skyrocket in value.

Gaborik and his speed would be welcome, but the man is as durable as Havlat. Mike Cammelari?

God. Our left side defense needs a Shattenkirk or Yandle.

CRIES!!!! This offseason is going to give me fits

Doug Wilson, this is for you.....

Midget.gif

I would KILL to have Vanek on a wing in San Jose, but we could never afford him. Unless.......Are you listening Doug Wilson....? COMPLIANCE BUYOUT HAVLAT.

Vanake would be a perfect fit for San Jose. Great during the regular season and no show during the playoffs. :-P

• 4 weeks later...

Ehrhoff being bought out immediately jumps him into one of the most coveted free agent defensemen. Maybe even moreso than Niskanen

Many would have paid Buffalo to get him, but the recapture risk was way too high.

Good grief. With signing bonuses and buyout, Ehrhoff made around 30 million in 3 years in Buffalo AND is going to get a nice contract right away from another team.

With this kind of a financial windfall staring him in the face, Ehroff should be looking for a shorter deal with a serious cup contender. If he takes a long term deal from a lesser team, we will all know he's greedy.

• Like 1

Just throwing this out there and not so sure these guys would be considered "top UFA's", but I gotta tell ya, if a team is looking for some real heavy hitters on defense (and probably guys who won't break the bank), perhaps they could look at newly made UFA's former NJ Devil Anton Volchenkov and former Calgary Flame Shane O'Brien.

If teams can live with some of the defensive gaffes of O'Brien and perhaps very average speed from Volchenkov, they can find themselves with a terrifying presense patrolling their blue lines with either of these guys.

I'd love Minnesota to pick up one of these.

More-so Volchenkov than O'Brien due to Anton being a bit better positionally.

It seemed as if the Wild were gonna re-sign Clayton Stoner (the team's biggest hitter on defense), but thus far, nothing has come of that. If they want to move on from him to someone else with perhaps less injury issues (Stoner seems to require time on IR a bit every season), perhaps Volchenkov can fit the bill.

Also, while I would love a big hitter on the blue line for the Lightning (Keith Aulie, 24, was NOT tendered an offer...so much for that project), I am not so sure Yzerman and company are in the market for low end speed defensemen and would rather stay the quicker, mobile and/or offensive contributing route.

Still though, O'Brien and Volchenkov...either one would make a nice freight train for a team in need of some physical presense on defense.

• 2 weeks later...

@TropicalFruitGirl26  I'd take Volchenkov before O'Brien....I think Vols is considerably faster than Shane at this point. O'Brien was brutally slow the last time I saw him. Not that Vol's is a speed burner by any means, but O'Brien might be one of the slowest guys in the league at this point. Also, as you said, Vol's is better positonally.

I was under the impression Stoner signed with one of the California teams....not sure though.