Torono Maple Leafs, a year in review

yave1964

OFFSEASON EXPECTATIONS

After making the playoffs last season for the first time since God knows when with a feisty team that coulda woulda shoulda beat the Bruins in the first round, the Leafs went out and added Dave Bolland to bolster the center position, hard hitting David Clarkson and goalie Jonathan Bernier. Expectations were high that they would not only make the post season but would be a significant player in the Eastern conference.

FINAL RECORD  38-36-8 6th in the division. 12th in the conference.

STRANGE STAT OF THE YEAR:

James Reimer lost all 10 of his final 10 starts. His only two wins down the stretch were in relief of an injured Bernier. Leafs defenseman COMBINED had only six power play goals.

HIGH POINT OF THE SEASON

On March 13th James Reimer in relief of an injured Jonathan Bernier defeated the Los Angeles Kings pushing their record to 36-24-8 for 80 points with 12 games to go fighting with the Canadiens and Lightning for 2nd in the division, safely 7 points up on a playoff spot with 14 games to go. Not a worry in the world.

LOW POINT OF THE SEASON

When Bernier got injured in the Kings game. After that the Leafs lost their next 8 in a row, al in regulation and 12 of their final 14 to finish 6th in the division and missing the playoffs by 9 points.

WHAT WENT RIGHT

Phil Kessel (37-43-80) was a force as a point a game player. JVR potted 30 goals. Bernier established himself nicely as a clear number one in the league. Tyler Bozak (49 points in 58 games) justified the Leafs faith by putting up good offensive numbers. Mason Raymond was a solid under the radar signing. Nazim Kadri took a step forward as did Jake Gardiner. Morgan Reilly saw his first major NHL minutes and did not embarrass himself.  Joffrey Lupul had 22 goals and looked brilliant at times.

WHAT WENT WRONG.

Everything else. David Clarkson was suspended for ten games for coming off the bench in the preseason and never got it going scoring 5 goals in 60 games. David Bolland sustained a horrible injury and was never himself upon returning. Cody Franson had a wonderful first half leading the power play and was putrid in the second half. Dion Phaneuf was average, not what one expects of their captain. Tim Gleason came from Carolina and was -14 in 39 games. The kid forwards, D'amigo, Broll, Devane, Ashton and Leivo played a combined 70 games with a whopping 2 goals, forcing the club to keep rolling Bodie and McClement out there because nobody wanted to step up and take a very winnable job. James Reimer is utterly ruined in Toronto. One of my favorite coaches Randy Carlyle stood by and did not right the ship as they hit an iceberg and sunk.

MVP

Undoubtedly Kessel though some consideration has to be given to Bernier after the team collapsed without him on the ice.

UFAs

Bolland

Raymond

Bodie

McClement

Ranger

OFFSEASON OUTLOOK

Where do they go from here? Shanahan has been brought into the front office but how to fix the horrible contract to Clarkson and what to do about the chemistry of the team and the poor defensive play. Can they erase the memory of the collapse two years ago against Boston and the collapse this year in the final three weeks of the season. The Leafs are a scared team not sure of who or what they are anymore and they need to figure it out fast. Loads of talent here but they are pieces not a team, IMHO.

Edited by hf101

Nice job yaves.

This is a team that has never ever drafted well ever. After a decade of sucking they have Reilly and Kadri to show for it. In a capped league, cheap young talent is huge. Until they figure that out they will always be pretenders.

@yave1964

A job well done on this one, but I feel as though you may have put too much effort into this when the "season in review" could have easily been described with a picture of a steaming turd. 

I don't know what happened to the identity the Leafs established last year as a "hard" team, but it's completely friggin' gone now. Awesome.

Save us, Burke  Nonis   Carlyle    Leiweke   Tom Cruise's Witchcraft    Shanahan!

Edited by Commander Clueless

• 1 month later...

@yave1964

A job well done on this one, but I feel as though you may have put too much effort into this when the "season in review" could have easily been described with a picture of a steaming turd. 

I don't know what happened to the identity the Leafs established last year as a "hard" team, but it's completely friggin' gone now. Awesome.

Save us, Burke  Nonis   Carlyle    Leiweke   Tom Cruise's Witchcraft    Shanahan!

So what do the Leafs need to do to fix things for next year after 2 straight seasons that ended in collapse how do you fix things? A rabid fan base wants a winner, how do you fix things?"

I have stated over and over that Stastny needs signed. He bumps Kadri to the second line and Bozak to the third. Three lines rolling, with centers perfectly suited to the lines they are in charge of.

The kids, D'amigo, Ashton, Lievo, Broll, Abbott, Mcgegg and Devane all got theire feet wet last year, none really impressed but they see what the NHL is all about. Give them another shot next year.  Someone of these needs to step up.

They overpaid for Clarkson they have to play him. On the third line and setting up in front of the net on the power play ala Doug the thug Glatt he could still have some value.

UFA's Bolland and Raymond need to be considered, Bolland wants a long term deal, I would pass and keep Raymond if you can manage to get Stastny. I have always considered Bolland one of the most overrated players in the game, a number three center who can be a number 2 in a pinch, he always gets called the best number 2 center in hockey which makes n sense to me. He wants 6-7 years at 5 million a year or more. Pass.

Reimer has to go. He is ruined in Toronto. Move him out and bring in a professional backup goalie for Bernier who fought for and earned the starting job last year.

God I don't know what to say about the defense. I hear they may trade Dion after giving him a 7 year contract which is laughable. The rumor is they will eat a large portion of his contract from whoever is willing to take him. Ugh. Personally I would keep him but strip the Captaincy.

Of the defense, I like Gunnarsson, I love Gardiner, I am ready to write off Franson after a horrible second half. Reilly has upside but was very, very raw last year and got turned inside out often. Gleason, whom I know you liked after the Leafs added him in my opinion is simply a body. A useful bruising third pairing body, but just a body. I think they need to keep Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Reilly, Gardiner, and Gleason as the number 6.7 d-man. I like Franson, his first half of the year was remarkable but he was wretched in the second half, so he has to go.

So trade bait you have Reimer and Franson and the need to acquire another defenseman, maybe two.

I would go all in on Niskanen. I know he is going to sign a huge deal based off his career year, but I would throw my hat in the ring and try to nab him.

The other player I would go after is Keith Yandle. The Yotes are supposedly shopping him for a top six forward and possibly a goalie, he would be a perfect fit with the Leafs if a combination suitable for the Arizona club could be reached. If not, and if you swing and miss on Niskanen, one of Boyle, Markov or Zidlicky would be ideal. All are UFA and a two, three year deal would allow the kids to develop. All can run a power play and still have brains.

So what do the Leafs need to do to fix things for next year after 2 straight seasons that ended in collapse how do you fix things? A rabid fan base wants a winner, how do you fix things?"

I have stated over and over that Stastny needs signed. He bumps Kadri to the second line and Bozak to the third. Three lines rolling, with centers perfectly suited to the lines they are in charge of.

The kids, D'amigo, Ashton, Lievo, Broll, Abbott, Mcgegg and Devane all got theire feet wet last year, none really impressed but they see what the NHL is all about. Give them another shot next year.  Someone of these needs to step up.

They overpaid for Clarkson they have to play him. On the third line and setting up in front of the net on the power play ala Doug the thug Glatt he could still have some value.

UFA's Bolland and Raymond need to be considered, Bolland wants a long term deal, I would pass and keep Raymond if you can manage to get Stastny. I have always considered Bolland one of the most overrated players in the game, a number three center who can be a number 2 in a pinch, he always gets called the best number 2 center in hockey which makes n sense to me. He wants 6-7 years at 5 million a year or more. Pass.

Reimer has to go. He is ruined in Toronto. Move him out and bring in a professional backup goalie for Bernier who fought for and earned the starting job last year.

God I don't know what to say about the defense. I hear they may trade Dion after giving him a 7 year contract which is laughable. The rumor is they will eat a large portion of his contract from whoever is willing to take him. Ugh. Personally I would keep him but strip the Captaincy.

Of the defense, I like Gunnarsson, I love Gardiner, I am ready to write off Franson after a horrible second half. Reilly has upside but was very, very raw last year and got turned inside out often. Gleason, whom I know you liked after the Leafs added him in my opinion is simply a body. A useful bruising third pairing body, but just a body. I think they need to keep Phaneuf, Gunnarsson, Reilly, Gardiner, and Gleason as the number 6.7 d-man. I like Franson, his first half of the year was remarkable but he was wretched in the second half, so he has to go.

So trade bait you have Reimer and Franson and the need to acquire another defenseman, maybe two.

I would go all in on Niskanen. I know he is going to sign a huge deal based off his career year, but I would throw my hat in the ring and try to nab him.

The other player I would go after is Keith Yandle. The Yotes are supposedly shopping him for a top six forward and possibly a goalie, he would be a perfect fit with the Leafs if a combination suitable for the Arizona club could be reached. If not, and if you swing and miss on Niskanen, one of Boyle, Markov or Zidlicky would be ideal. All are UFA and a two, three year deal would allow the kids to develop. All can run a power play and still have brains.

Hehehe. A lot of the Sharks rumor mill and wishlist revolves around these players.

Rights to Demers for the rights to Gardiner(We are stacked on the right side, but only have Vlasic on the left). 3rd round pick for rights to Reimer, etc

Yandle is a big big name wish for the sharks. The most common is Pavelski for Yandle straight up. Pavelski just had a career year and "sell high" is the motto. But many people pushing for that trade want to blow up the team and trade everyone but Vlasic, Couture, Hertl, Nieto and Mueller.

Right now, the rights to Reimer are not worth very much. Its a thick pool of UFA goalies. Same reason Niemi is worth nothing more than a 3rd in a trade.

Hehehe. A lot of the Sharks rumor mill and wishlist revolves around these players.

Rights to Demers for the rights to Gardiner(We are stacked on the right side, but only have Vlasic on the left). 3rd round pick for rights to Reimer, etc

Yandle is a big big name wish for the sharks. The most common is Pavelski for Yandle straight up. Pavelski just had a career year and "sell high" is the motto. But many people pushing for that trade want to blow up the team and trade everyone but Vlasic, Couture, Hertl, Nieto and Mueller.

Right now, the rights to Reimer are not worth very much. Its a thick pool of UFA goalies. Same reason Niemi is worth nothing more than a 3rd in a trade.

Yandle is going to be in popular demand, supposedly they want a top six forward and/or a goaltender of the future. I would love the Wings to make a play for him, but over half the clubs in the league probably feel the same way.

Yandle is going to be in popular demand, supposedly they want a top six forward and/or a goaltender of the future. I would love the Wings to make a play for him, but over half the clubs in the league probably feel the same way.

Top 6? I heard they are looking for nothing less than a 1st line center that is not too old at minimum. Goaltending is new to me. They seemed confident in Smith. They probably should be given that he managed a winning record on a team with a defenseman scoring 53 points as the top scorer.

And don't get me wrong. I love Pavelski. He just scored 41 goals, can play all forward positions, is great defensively. But with Couture and Hertl as future centers of the sharks and 5-10 years younger, if Pavelski got us Yandle, a top pairing 25 minute a game defenseman who plays on the left side and is entering his prime at age 27, I would drive Pavelski to Phoenix myself

Top 6? I heard they are looking for nothing less than a 1st line center that is not too old at minimum. Goaltending is new to me. They seemed confident in Smith. They probably should be given that he managed a winning record on a team with a defenseman scoring 53 points as the top scorer.

Little Joe would be a steep price to pay, I cannot find the link right now, (too lazy) but I read where they want a top six forward and a young goalie to groom.  Oh wait

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2063671-the-10-biggest-trade-rumors-among-2014-nhl-playoff-teams/page/5

Brings up Marchand for Yandle (Umm, no) I would take Little Joe any day of the week over Marchand. Another player I have heard mentioned is Spezza for Yandle. Again, if I am Arizona I would take Pavelski, dirty little snow showers and all any day of the week for Yandle.

Okay that was the wrong link, I will look harder when I get the chance, lol

Edited by yave1964

Little Joe would be a steep price to pay, I cannot find the link right now, (too lazy) but I read where they want a top six forward and a young goalie to groom.  Oh wait

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2063671-the-10-biggest-trade-rumors-among-2014-nhl-playoff-teams/page/5

Brings up Marchand for Yandle (Umm, no) I would take Little Joe any day of the week over Marchand. Another player I have heard mentioned is Spezza for Yandle. Again, if I am Arizona I would take Pavelski, dirty little snow showers and all any day of the week for Yandle.

Okay that was the wrong link, I will look harder when I get the chance, lol

With our strength at center, Couture = Pavelski and Hertl will likely be at that level as well, and 3 more years of Thornton/Marleau(maybe) still producing better, it is an acceptable price to me. Pavelski is 30 and I do not expect him to age great like JT and PM.

But it's still a pipe dream.

I see a good bunch of the fanbase clamoring for another rebuild, which I see as unlikely.

Stastny would fit in perfectly with this team, but I shudder to think of the price he will command. The Leafs are no strangers to overpayments, and they may actually overpay a player they really need for once, but still...it's frightening. Toronto will be one of many teams after Stastny should he reach free agency, and there is not much to entice him to don the Maple Leaf except overpaying him even further.

With a good run now ended with the Marlies, I'm guessing you will see players such as Holland, Ashton, D'Amigo, and Carrick get evaluated on the possibility of playing in the bottom six for the Leafs. Since the entire bottom six minus Clarkson is hitting free agency, the kids will need to step up. A few veteran bottom six signings would not be out of place - hopefully they are cheaper, effective players on shorter term contracts.

Clarkson will get at least one more year in the blue and white before they consider any drastic action for dumping him.

Raymond I'm guessing is likely gone. He played well for the Leafs, but I'm assuming he will want a significant raise, and the Leafs are not in a position to be paying him that money when they need to address their biggest problem - team defensive ability.

Bolland is a nice player, but I would not give him more than 2-3 years and I would offer $4 million at the absolute most (that's pushing it). If he wants more, I'd send him packing. Waste of a trade for Toronto, but better than overpaying him long term.

I'd love to see Reimer stick around as backup, but that bridge is probably burnt. They aren't likely to get much more than a 3rd round pick for him.

Franson needs to go IMO. He's a PP specialist, but Toronto needs to focus on the defense. Phaneuf, Gardiner, and Rielly are all capable offensively. They should replace him with a right-handed defensive specialist, like say a Mark Fayne type.

I find the Phaneuf trade rumours odd. People like to crap on the guy, but he's still a good defenseman. His contract is probably about a million more than ideal, but I can still see him garnering a good amount of interest due to the league wide need for defenseman. However, if Nonis moves him, I can't see the Leafs sniffing the playoffs next year because their defense behind him is very weak. They have some high potential guys in Gardiner in Rielly, but nobody really ready to step into that role. If they trade the big goof, they'll be battening down the hatches for another high pick (not that that's a bad thing, necessarily).

I like Gleason because he is what they needed - a physical shutdown guy who can skate decently. He's nothing more than a bottom pairing guy and is certainly overpaid, but they need more of his type of play.

I would actually stay away from Niskanen because I believe he is going to be paid like a top pairing guy this offseason, and I'm not sure he's quite on that level. If he comes at a decent price, though, I'd welcome him.

Yandle would be a great guy to add to most teams, but I can't see Toronto having the necessary assets to acquire him (high end centre, for example).

As far as I'm concerned, this team can't win now. I feel like the signings of Bolland and Clarkson ruined this season for the Maple Leafs. I read article after article of hockey "experts" explaining their disbelief that the Maple Leafs didn't perform like a heavyweight in this league. The fact of the matter is that the Leafs lack depth and identity. Their top line is one of the best in the league. Kessel and JVR were lights out all year. But Bozak isn't a number once center in this league and after KAdri, there's not much else there. Second, I can't tell whether this team is supposed to be a physical, grinding team, or an offensive powerhouse.To be honest, this team couldn't do either of those. 

And I'm not sold on Bernier being "The Guy" in Toronto just yet. Riemer definitely isn't the Leafs' number one, but Bernier has his stretches where he's not very good, which in a hockey mad house like Toronto, could kill your season before it starts.

I think Toronto makes the playoffs next year, but gets knocked out in the first round.

@ihabs1993

Not sure if Kessel and JVR were "lights out all year". The Leafs were playoff contenders most of the season, until the entire team shut it down, including Kessel and JVR. In their last 20 games when the team really needed them Kessel had 4 g 7 a, and JVR had 4 g 5 a. The lights were out all right.

I was pretty shocked to see how bad Bolland was all year. The early injury destroyed almost half his year, and when he came back, was a mere shadow of the player he used to be. Funny thing is, the Leafs are in real need of player like Bolland, but the risk is to great that he is washed up, or even worse, not interested. I expect Holland to make the team as a center next year.....pretty nice hands, an interesting prospect, and might just take Bolland's spot as 3rd line center.

I was pretty shocked to see how bad Bolland was all year. The early injury destroyed almost half his year, and when he came back, was a mere shadow of the player he used to be. Funny thing is, the Leafs are in real need of player like Bolland, but the risk is to great that he is washed up, or even worse, not interested. I expect Holland to make the team as a center next year.....pretty nice hands, an interesting prospect, and might just take Bolland's spot as 3rd line center.

Yeah. To me that means they brought him back way too early. Before his injury, he was playing great.

I could see Holland taking a spot, but he's not quite there in terms of defensive ability. That said, it's probably a better option than risking a long term contract on Bolland.

If I were the Leafs, I'd pick up a bit of help in the form of a Goc or Fiddler type, should they be available come free agency. Gives them a bit of flexibility with Holland - can shift him to wing if he's not quite ready for the 3rd line C position.

@ihabs1993

Not sure if Kessel and JVR were "lights out all year". The Leafs were playoff contenders most of the season, until the entire team shut it down, including Kessel and JVR. In their last 20 games when the team really needed them Kessel had 4 g 7 a, and JVR had 4 g 5 a. The lights were out all right.

Well, lets just say they were lights out for a Maple Leaf year, which apparently covers everything until the last 15-20 games of the season. :P

This phenomenon, also know as the Maple Blackout, is scientifically proven to be the direct result of NHL Scheduling, Gary Bettman's mutant powers, Daniel Alfredsson, and the migratory patterns of certain birds.

• Like 1

@Commander Clueless

If only the Leafs could put together entire seasons of consistency....whether it's bad or good. The seasons that they play poorly in, just when it seems like they'll get a top 5 pick and likely a really good player, they roll off a bunch of wins and end up a point or two OUT of the playoffs (how many times did we see that happen?) Then they get on a roll early and look like a shoo-in for postseason, and roll off a bunch of losses.

@flyercanuck

To be fair, I prefer the scenario where the end up with the high pick versus the JFJ-Era scenario where they end up in 9th place.

That said, they are both incredibly frustrating.

It's really tough to get a gauge on what the Leafs want to do this offseason. There's a lot of talk of trading Phaneuf and others for what seems to be futures, which seems to suggest that they want to do a "rebuild within the rebuild" type of thing. I find that unlikely, but I guess we'll see.

Either way, the draft should be fun. There's a lot of rumours of big changes going around.

I'm a little jealous of the Islanders at the moment, who seem to be starting their offseason before everyone else. :lol:

I hear there's this Stanley Cup thing still going on, but I find myself wishing it was over. With Montreal and Chicago out, I'm content no matter who wins.

Just for fun, I'll give it the old college try. Community college, obviously. University level try is WAY too much work and, frankly, beyond me.

For the forwards:

Defensively responsible forwards are an absolute must this offseason. The system needs to change to compensate for the Leafs record-breaking shots against totals this past season.

A high end, two-way centre for the top six is a major need for the Leafs. Bozak is a solid two-way player, but he's at most a 2nd line centre. Signing Stastny would be a good call, but I get the feeling that Stastny will be unavailable to the Leafs. If this is the case, Nonis should explore the trade market, which of course would have a high cost. I might get some hate from my fellow Leaf fans for saying this, but I would explore the possibility of trading JVR if it involved the return of a high end young centre. Fortunately, since Leaf fans are virtually non-existent on this site, I think I'm safe.

@J0e Th0rnton, you Sharkies want to give us a centre? :P

The bottom six will likely get a makeover since everyone is gone. Like I said, I have no interest in Bolland at the price he will likely command. Holland or Bozak (if a centre is acquired - see above) are good candidates, and the Leafs could look to free agents such as Marcel Goc or Vernon Fiddler to maybe fill a hole or give them flexibility in that role.

I'd love to see a couple veteran signings for the bottom six, such as a Daniel Winnik type. I'd also love to see Leo Komarov back in blue and white. Mason Raymond could make a comeback, particularly if JVR or Lupul are moved. If neither is moved, though, I doubt Raymond will be back. I'd like to have him back at a sub-$3 mil salary, but I doubt he takes that.

The defense is tough, as I'm not sure what the stance on Phaneuf will be. If Phaneuf is traded, it would likely involve a younger, right-handed defenseman. If not, the Leafs will still need a right-handed defensive defenseman. I like Mark Fayne if he hits the market.

Reimer and Franson are likely gone for mid-round picks. Both are still useful players, but have effectively worn out their welcomes in Toronto.

The Leafs will also need a backup, preferably a young-ish good one, even if it costs them a bit more - just in case Bernier's injuries become a recurring thing and/or he gets hit by the Toronto curse. I like Johnson, Greiss, and Montoya as targets, personally.

So, with variables, I could see something like:

JVR/Lupul-Stastny/Traded For Centre-Kessel

Raymond-Kadri-Clarkson (please bounceback. please. please?)

Holland-Bozak-UFA (Winnik?)

Komarov-McClement(or prospect)-Prospect (Ashton/D'Amigo/Carrick/Whoever earns it)

Gardiner-Phaneuf/Replacement

Rielly-UFA (Fayne?)

Gleason-Gunnarsson (Vet Shutdown Squad, yay overpaid bottom pairing!)

Bernier

UFA (Johnson/Greiss/Montoya?)

The other alternative could be to keep Bozak with Kessel, move a new centre to the 2nd line with Kadri on the wing, and have Holland as the 3rd line centre.

Some avenues I'd explore, anyway, were I Nonis.

I'd also love to move up in the draft, but the cost to do so is scary.

Well, lets just say they were lights out for a Maple Leaf year, which apparently covers everything until the last 15-20 games of the season.

This phenomenon, also know as the Maple Blackout, is scientifically proven to be the direct result of NHL Scheduling, Gary Bettman's mutant powers, Daniel Alfredsson, and the migratory patterns of certain birds.

Haha that's about right! I mean maybe Kessel and JVR were just over achieving the whole year and then just  couldnt be consistent.

Haha that's about right! I mean maybe Kessel and JVR were just over achieving the whole year and then just  couldnt be consistent.

Haha could be, although Kessel has been in this territory before. JVR and Bozak overachieving is certainly a possibility, if not a borderline likelihood.

However, it's not all on them. This collapse was a team effort, and a spectacular one at that. It takes a certain mental fortitude to lose that much in that time span.