Time to offer sheet Krug?

jammer2

I think you would have to offer north of $5mm before Boston would let him walk. But I definitely agree with forcing their hand. Put the pressure on.

Do you think a 23 year old defensman with exactly one (very good) NHL season under his belt is worth $5M over multiple years (I'm guessing 6+ for Boston not to match), a 1st round pick in a deep draft, and a 3rd rounder? It's risky, especially when you consider that we have a very similar player in our stable in Ghost - perhaps Hagg fits that bill too. Add Morin, Sanheim, Alt to the mix, and I'm not sure I see the urgency in putting $30M toward a tiny defenseman who's had one good season. I'm not saying I'd never do it - but the circumstances of this team, right now, don't seem to be the ones where you make this kind of move.

The history books are littered with players who had great initial seasons and saw their production drop steadily over time.

As a side note, I looked up Pitkanen earlier today, and realized how bad a trade that was - we gave up Pitkanen (a 9-year NHL veteran defenseman averaging 40 pts per season), Geoff Sanderson (who cares), and a 3rd rounder for 2 seasons of Lupul, and 77 games of Jason Smith.

Terrible use of assets. 

Do you think a 23 year old defensman with exactly one (very good) NHL season under his belt is worth $5M over multiple years (I'm guessing 6+ for Boston not to match), a 1st round pick in a deep draft, and a 3rd rounder?

No and nope ;)

we gave up Pitkanen (a 9-year NHL veteran defenseman averaging 40 pts per season), Geoff Sanderson (who cares), and a 3rd rounder for 2 seasons of Lupul, and 77 games of Jason Smith.

...two seasons of Lupul which turned into one quarter of Chris Pronger for a 170 or so games (including one improbable and bittersweet fun to the Finals.)  One missed shot by Carter and a Game 7 epic away from that trade being worth it.

...two seasons of Lupul which turned into one quarter of Chris Pronger for a 170 or so games (including one improbable and bittersweet fun to the Finals.)  One missed shot by Carter and a Game 7 epic away from that trade being worth it.

Lupul was a contract dump. It could easily have been another player instead.

I refuse to ever feel like the Flyers lost out on trading pitkanen.

I hear what you're saying. I remember at the time not liking him very much. He seemed a little too... aloof, I guess might be the word. 

But, we traded a 4th overall defenseman who's had a solid career for Frooty Lupes, who played well until Hatcher sat on him, and one season of Jason Smith, who we made our captain and didn't re-sign. The first of many revolving captains.

You might not like the player, and neither did I, but it wasn't a very good hockey trade in retrospect. He was only 23, and that once again showed the itchy trigger finger that seems to plague all Flyers GMs ;)

I am with Jim and doom this...

Me too. We are not going to win it this year. I have stated in other threads its clear that Hextall thinks the same and has a plan. 

Macdavid, here we come! Joking of course. We will still compete, but we are not a SC team and there are not any immediate moves that will make us one giving our financial situation. 

Me too. We are not going to win it this year. I have stated in other threads its clear that Hextall thinks the same and has a plan. 

Macdavid, here we come! Joking of course. We will still compete, but we are not a SC team and there are not any immediate moves that will make us one giving our financial situation. 

It looks to me like the East is pretty wide open. We are a few players and a few Mason shut outs short of competing in the East. Injuries, players coming from no-where to star status.....the East is so close, any number of variables like these can decide things....which brings me to my next thought....luck...some luck will be needed to come out to the East next year.

I refuse to ever feel like the Flyers lost out on trading pitkanen.

Um, yeah...he picked a booger and ate it...how can you take anyone serious after that...who wants to explain to their young child, Flyers eat boogers. He has always been a *meh* player anyways. Just a boring, run of the mill 35 point guy who only got 1st pp time in Carolina cause no one else was capable.

And the kid has to accept it. He has the right to refuse the offer outright in which case you only pissed off another GM, and maybe have a few others decide you're garbage.

True. And although I've heard of athletes giving hometown discounts, turning down huge raises isn't too common a practise in the pro athletes world. Even if you love the team you play for, you sign those offers and hope they get matched.

na, pittsburgh is going to run away with it. Aside from the downie signing, Rutherford has done an admirable job. 110 points for the pens, and ECF champs. The cup is going to go to the west again. 

na, pittsburgh is going to run away with it. Aside from the downie signing, Rutherford has done an admirable job. 110 points for the pens, and ECF champs. The cup is going to go to the west again.

You think? Seems to me they are back to having no actual top 6 wingers, Crosby is still incapable of maintaining focus in a 7 game series (and Downie is only going to make that worse), they've doubled down on an offense-only defense, and fleury is still in net.

110 points in the regular season, maybe. They're a worse team now than they were last season, though, more top heavy and more one dimensional...I have a tough time seeing them do a whole lot extra in the playoffs.

@aziz  The best case is Downie sticks with the Pens all year, has no issues but then implodes during the playoffs, costing them a key game and they lose the opening series because of it....stranger things have indeed happened.

110 points in the regular season, maybe. They're a worse team now than they were last season, though, more top heavy and more one dimensional...I have a tough time seeing them do a whole lot extra in the playoffs.

ecf is easy for them. They wont have to face the flyers. 

First the NHL is a business! Then most of these owners are pals for the most parts so the usually don't screw with each other.  My point there is rippling affects in league towards the teams that make offers. Even though Snider  is a all in guy!  I say  screw them and trying to win is that bad thing?

Edited by Jam1986