Brodeur to back up Price?

hf101

Apparently the Montreal native is willing to finish his Hall of Fame Career in his hometown. 

Budja only has one year remaining on his contract and could be stuffed in the AHL.   I can see the Canadiens bring Marty into camp for a try out at least.

"I would like to play one last season before retiring and I want to have fun doing it" quoted Brodeur

"If the Canadiens made me an offer , it goes without saying that I would listen to what they have to offer me."

I don't see it. Budaj was solid in net during the regular season and Tokarski established himself as a t least somewhat of a prospect with a very good postseason when Price went down. Personally I would have Budaj as the backup with the capable Tokarski looming in the wings in case Budaj fails or when the inevitable Price injury occurs. Marty would be a feel good story but I think the Habs have better options.

I don't see it. Tokarski, under tremendous stress in the playoffs turned in some respectable performances. Budji was a solid back up last year. I have no doubt that Broduer could be an equal to Budji, but what's in it for the Habs. I must say though, Marty ending things out as a Hab, that would be pretty cool.

Brodeur never seemed to me to be a guy who would be willing to be a #2. That really surprises me.

I'm sure it has a lot to do with not having any other options. If he wants to keep playing, it's going to have to be as a backup. The problem is I'm not sure he'll make a very good backup. He's always been a goalie who plays better when he can get into a rhythm. He was wildly inconsistent last year splitting duties with Schneider. What's he going to be like when he's been sitting for two weeks at a time?

I just wish he'd handled his situation better last year, rather than putting the Devils in a no-win situation by basically demanding playing time. It would have been nice to see him go out in a Devils jersey under better circumstances. Now it just seems like he's becoming the Brett Favre of the NHL.

• 5 weeks later...

Just wondering out loud now....with the recent trade of Budjai to the Winnipeg Jets, does that leave an opening for Brodeur to back up Price now?  Perhaps they go with Tokarski, but most feel he still needs AHL seasoning. If the Habs were going to entertain the thought of Marty in the the red, white and blue, it just became a bit more reasonable, the way has been cleared at least.

Brodeur never seemed to me to be a guy who would be willing to be a #2. That really surprises me.

Perspectives change when you are a 42 y/o goalie. Just being on a NHL roster would be good. The thing for me is that he is one of the best goalies to ever play. Top 3-5 IMO. Don't do a Steve Carlton.

@Vanflyer  I do think one more season with Montreal would be a perfect way to end things. Even in a back up capacity, this would be a perfect fit. Plus, we all know, Price is not guaranteed to get through a season without an injury or two, so Marty could indeed end up saving the day. Another question, if Price was hurt for a significant amount of time (which has happened 2 out of the last 3 years), who would you feel more comfortable slipping into the starting role, Marty....or the rookie Tokarski? 

I do think one more season with Montreal would be a perfect way to end things. Even in a back up capacity,

100% agree. I was responding more to the "marty will want to be a starter thing". 

I am thinking his ride into the sunset would be perfect with Montreal. Just not that he is going to be a starter. Those days are gone and I would like to think he knows it.

Just retire.

Why? I think he can contribute as a backup. For me, 1 year in Montreal would be his swan song. He is of French-Canadian decent, so no better place than Montreal. Brodeur was born and raised in Montreal and his father was a photographer for the Habs. Why not end your HOF carreer in your home town??

I mean after all, he played 20 years in the SWAMP.

20 plus years for one team is an accomplishment in the era of players with loose team associations. Brodeur should enjoy his accolades in retirement and not spoil them with a short stint with another team, even if it was with his boyhood favourite. He will only be disappointed.  

He will only be disappointed.

I disagree. I think he knows his skills have regressed, but still has NHL level ability- just not every night. I don't know much about the habs goalie developement situation, but if Marty is not stealing ice time from an up-and-comer who deserves to be there for his developement, than I say, why the heck not.

There also is the aspect of his rings. That has weight in the locker room where he can be a co-leader. The habs need that kind of experience in their room imo.

Well Montreal better snap him up quick, or Toronto might.

Reimer took a person to the face the other night, and Bernier is complaining of a pinched feeling in the knee (to go along with a horrendous start to the season).

Back in goaltending purgatory for the moment. Who would have guessed?

...oh wait....

Well Montreal better snap him up quick, or Toronto might.

I don't know Marty personally, but I would venture a guess that if he is going to put on a sweater again, it will not be with a leaf as an emblem.

Archived