Toronto Maple Leafs ranked worst sports franchise in North America

Irishjim

Daniel Bruno (@_brewknowSep. 18, 2014 6:00 PM

Just when you thought Leafs fans couldn't be tortured anymore, ESPN has been working on a project that ranked the best and worst sports franchises in sports. The study included the four major North American sports, NHL, NBA, NFL and MLB and ranked every team in 8 different categories. You can be as skeptical about this study as you want, but the necessary work was done to ensure this was as accurate as possible, as ESPN hired multiple consulting and research firms to look at the teams in their respective categories. 

Let's get right into it, out of 122 franchises in North America, the Toronto Maple Leafs finished DEAD LAST! Not the Astros, not the Coyotes, not the Bucks, not the Jaguars, the Toronto Maple Leafs! Yes, that's right, the TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS are considered a WORSE franchise than the JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS! Just let that sink in for a second before we move on to some of the nitty gritty of the rankings. 

toronto-maple-leafs-sad-sack-fans.jpg

(photo: grayflannelsuit.com) 

First category is Affordability, which includes ticket prices, parking and concessions. Need I say more? You know the Leafs finished last in this one. Next up is Coaching, which the Leafs finished 113th, so not last which is good. They then ranked 117th in Fan Relations, 105th in Ownership, which represents honesty and loyalty to core players and the community. Next up is the Players category, well shield your eyes Leafs fans because you got 120th. The players category includes effort on the field and likeability off it.

Stadium Experience ranked the Leafs at 109th, which was their highest ranking. And then Title Track Record finished them 2nd last, with bang for your buck finished the Leafs dead last once again.

We're not too sure what to make of this study done by ESPN and how accurate it is, but a lot of work was put into it, so, to finish even close to last is very concerning. You can see all the results and a lot more detail here. And oh by the way, the San Antonio Spurs came in first, no surprise there. 

​and if @Vader was here to read this i would have only one thing to say

hm30.1.gif

Meh, I take these "rankings" with an extreme grain of salt.

I don't care how many 'experts' and researchers they get to compile all this information, 90% of it is very subjective.

Throw in the fact that ESPN is involved, and that right there blows up what little credibility the article might have had going in.

I will be the first to rag on the Maple Leafs (some of you have heard me post some flames their way during last season), but really, outside of the fact that they are the most scrutinized team in hockey, and right up there in the top 10 easily amongst all pro sports teams in North America, and they have had very little success the last several years, there is little that can't be twisted around to suit the article's "needs".

Honestly, one could take the top ranked franchise's there and still twist and turn certain facts and figures to make them look downright pedestrian if one were so inclined.

Former GM Brian Burke, and his egotistical attitude did the Leafs NO FAVORS in terms of their image, but still, Burke is yesterday's news, the team HAS realized it needs to do more as a contender, and is actually moving, ever so slowly in that direction...Dion Phaneuf be damned!

A popular, money  making team with all of Canada's eyes on them like the Maple Leafs? The worst franchise?

Perhaps, perhaps not...but there will never be any single solid way to make that a fact, like the Leafs or not.

They are just an easy target for everyone right about now...believe me, I've taken archery practice at them myself.

Meh, I take these "rankings" with an extreme grain of salt.
I don't care how many 'experts' and researchers they get to compile all this information, 90% of it is very subjective.
Throw in the fact that ESPN is involved, and that right there blows up what little credibility the article might have had going in.

ding ding ding. Winner, chicken dinner. 

Daniel Bruno (@_brewknowSep. 18, 2014 6:00 PM

Let's get right into it, out of 122 franchises in North America, the Toronto Maple Leafs finished DEAD LAST! 

:lol: That's what happens when you put a peewee team in a major professional sports league!

Man, can't a Habs fan enjoy a laugh at the Maple Laughs' expense without anyone on this forum trying to ruin it? ;)

But this is an absolute joke... The Anaheim Ducks are the second best sports team in North America? I love the Ducks, they're my second favorite team, but this is absurd. This is an absolute bias of viewership. No one except Buccigros gives a crap about hockey around that LeBron James love fest. Run this research in Canada and I think the results will be DRAMATICALLY different. I don't mind the Kings being so high on the list, due to their 2 rings in 3 years with two deep playoff runs and increase in the interest of hockey out west. Forbes has the Maple Leafs ranked 26th in the world in value, which is a disgusting stat to read, but it's atleast grounded in stats. I believe the number is somewhere near $1.8 Billion. ESPN chose very subjective categories that would be absolutely impossible to replicate. But what else do you want from a network that hasn't shown hockey in ten yars and still thinks Barry Melrose is relevant?

Man, can't a Habs fan enjoy a laugh at the Maple Laughs' expense without anyone on this forum trying to ruin it? ;)

Hey, take the shot where you can get it. I for one have never met a chance to jab at the Leafs that I didn't like. Lol

I do agree with you on ESPN, though. Hockey doesn't get a fair shake on there. And in all seriousness, that list is garbage.

@ScottM  That type of list will always be crap. Just way to many variables and intricacies to make it accurate. 

But since ESPN is quickly becoming the "rag" newspaper of television and digital world, that suits them just fine.  ;)

Also, I think whatever rift separated the network and the NHL still sticks in ESPN's craw....as they seem to go out of their way to downplay, devalue, and put out stupid articles like this one in regards to the NHL...notice, not so much HOCKEY, but the NHL....as the network actually does decent coverage of the college ranks.

Someone over at ESPN-land just needs to put on their big boy pants, strap on their common sense helmet and realize:  YOU CANNOT CALL YOURSELF THE 'WORLDWIDE LEADER IN SPORTS' IF YOU VALUE THE POKER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS AND THE X-GAMES OVER NHL HOCKEY!!

We've been competitors for years but could never quite reach the ultimate prize. Now, it's finally happened. We're #1 baby!

I don't even know who to thank. Brian Burke, for always supporting us with endless hours of sideshow media entertainment? John Ferguson Jr. for terrible trades and never saying anything of value to that same media? The very media for filling our heads with ignorance? Harold Ballard, for his voodoo magic witchcraft powers to curse the team for eternity?

There are just so many legends, I can't mention them all!

And here I was starting to think I'd never see a Leafs championship title. My life is complete.

YOU CANNOT CALL YOURSELF THE 'WORLDWIDE LEADER IN SPORTS' IF YOU VALUE THE POKER WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS AND THE X-GAMES OVER NHL HOCKEY!!

I actually heard someone on ESPN radio a few months ago try to claim that beach volleyball is a bigger draw than hockey. You can't even call yourself a rational human being if you say something like that. ESPN is turning into almost as big of a joke as that list.

Archived