NHL should bring a team to Kansas City

bhedges1987

I posted this is another topic I believe. BUT  I think the NHL should seriously consider Kansas City as one of their options.  If anybody saw the chiefs Monday, royals Tuesday, or any sporting KC game you know the fans here just love sports in general.  I mean our MLS team has sold out 53 straight games.  We have a brand new arena downtown right in the heart of Kansas City with a very popular night life district. I know we had the scouts in '74.  But this city is 10x the size it was then.  I have heard we have willing buyers here too.  I really think the NHL would be making a massive mistake putting a team in some of these other cities that they have spoken about before Kansas City.

We have a CHL team, albiet it is a small stadium, it is always crowded.  A NHL team would do wonders here IMO.

Signed, upset fan who wants NHL

Sorry.  Been there, done that.  It failed.

They tried Atlanta a second time and failed because the NHL didn't learn the lesson the first time.  Sorry, I simply wouldn't put a franchise there.

Sorry.  Been there, done that.  It failed.

They tried Atlanta a second time and failed because the NHL didn't learn the lesson the first time.  Sorry, I simply wouldn't put a franchise there.

Philadelphia and Pittsburgh both had teams back in the 1930's (actually they both had the same team). Things worked out much better the second time around, 40 years later. Not that I know anything about the hockey market in KC but times change.

In 1974 the metro population was 535,000. It is now 3.4 million. Different time, different story. Especially since the downtown had a major overhaul where hundreds of thousands now live within walking distance to the arena. It's really nothing like it was.

@bhedges1987

Welcome BTW,

I always thought Kansas City was one of the options for a NHL Team.  Personally I think it would have a better fanbase than Vegas.  It also would be in the Central Division for balance if Seattle gets a team.

Definitely better than Vegas and good point regarding balancing Seattle.

Not a bad point regarding the growth of the area either.

No love for Jack's point :).

I don't know. I guess maybe. Wisconsin could use a team, though.

In 1974 the metro population was 535,000. It is now 3.4 million. Different time, different story. Especially since the downtown had a major overhaul where hundreds of thousands now live within walking distance to the arena. It's really nothing like it was.

I would be supportive of a team in KC. The same as I would In Seattle. 

I've seen good arguments pro and con regarding KC. I will say that I didn't realize that the metro population had grown that much in the last 40 years. That certainly gives the city a much stronger case. I certainly think it's more deserving than some cities that have teams or are sometimes mentioned for expansion (particularly Las Vegas on that last part). Sometimes, though, I think Bettman would try Mexico City before some very legitimate markets, so I can't help but wonder what it would take for KC to get another shot.

The poorest attendance last season was for the FL Panthers @ 75% capacity.  I would think they're ripe for change of scenery.

Columbus also hovers near the bottom in attendance.

Of the 3.5 million in KC, are there enough who would be willing the pay the price for an NHL ticket over the 41-home game season?

I always thought Kansas City was one of the options for a NHL Team. Personally I think it would have a better fanbase than Vegas. It also would be in the Central Division for balance if Seattle gets a team.

1) quebec city

2) kansas city

If Seattelites could ever get their heads out of their collective arses and build an arena, they would be next.

Of the 3.5 million in KC, are there enough who would be willing the pay the price for an NHL ticket over the 41-home game season?

And there is the rub on figuring out where to expand. I think there is a requisite for season tix holder commitment for an expansion team. The one thing KC has going for it is a sparkling new arena.

I am not sure what a MLS tix cost, but someone else stated that they sell out all their games in KC. No offence to soccer / football, but if your town is selling out MLS, then certainly you can support an NHL franchise.

@bhedges1987  Here is my problem with KC as a sports town. The Royals are direct division rivals of the Tigers, so I watch a LOT of games out of KC. They simply do not support their Royals. There is MANY empty seats every time the Tigers play the Royals....AND here we have a team that SHOULD be supported. They have a great young team, were in a long race with the Tigers all year.

Not only do they not support the Royals, they have not made the playoffs in 29 years!!  The fans should be rabid trying to get tickets to the Royals. The proof is in the pudding!!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Here is my problem with KC as a sports town. The Royals are direct division rivals of the Tigers, so I watch a LOT of games out of KC. They simply do not support their Royals.

And there-in lays the requisite of expansion. Fan commitment and arena. I thought I read somewhere that there is a minimum requirement of STH needed for expansion.

This is an interesting read on the considerations for expansion teams:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/news/economists-say-canada-could-support-three-more-nhl-teams-1.2610461

Truthfully, while the same premise should apply, I would salvage some current teams first before expanding (Florida and Dallas come to mind). 

I'm not favor of expansion in the NHL because the talent is diluted now, IMO.  In fact, I prefer contraction down to 28 teams by scuttling the Panthers and either the Islanders or Blue Jackets - all suffering from chronic low fan support.  Phoenix would be atop my chop list, but let's see if the new ownership can right the ship there.

@bhedges1987  Here is my problem with KC as a sports town. The Royals are direct division rivals of the Tigers, so I watch a LOT of games out of KC. They simply do not support their Royals. There is MANY empty seats every time the Tigers play the Royals....AND here we have a team that SHOULD be supported. They have a great young team, were in a long race with the Tigers all year.

Not only do they not support the Royals, they have not made the playoffs in 29 years!!  The fans should be rabid trying to get tickets to the Royals. The proof is in the pudding!!

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

I have season tickets to the Royals and let me tell you a few things you might not know.  Every single Friday / Saturday / Sunday game all year has been sold out.  Playoff tickets are going for $2,000.00 and they sold out in less than 20 minutes.  What does it say about a town that can hold an MLB team with the dead last payroll (until last year) for baseball since 1969.  There has never been any talk of expansion, because the fans support the team.  45 years, 90% of it being dead last in payroll and the worst team in baseball, yet they have kept the team for 45 years.  

The chiefs have always been know as the loudest and most loyal fans in football.  (See last monday night)  They are ranked 7th in the NFL with an average of 76,000 per game (capacity)

Sporting KC has sold out 54 straight games with a higher seat capacity than pretty much all NHL arenas.... and that is Soccer

The thing is, the new arena in KC in literally in walking distance of the homes of thousands of people, and within 50ft from the heart of Kansas City's nightlife.

This top picture was taken last Monday at Arrowhead, also last week at the Royals game, and 2 weeks ago at sporting KC.

The second picture was taken this summer at the Power and Light district within 100 ft of the KC arena where an NHL team would go.  Watching soccer.

10701992_953759188905_571792670672094969

party-1-jpg.jpg

I'm not favor of expansion in the NHL because the talent is diluted now, IMO.  In fact, I prefer contraction down to 28 teams by scuttling the Panthers and either the Islanders or Blue Jackets - all suffering from chronic low fan support.  Phoenix would be atop my chop list, but let's see if the new ownership can right the ship there.

IMO, I think the Islanders are on the verge of a resurgence.  (PUKE!).  New owners, a pretty talented team...and most importantly, a new arena in Brooklyn.  I think they could be relevant again, in a very shor time.  The Panthers and Blue Jackets...meh.  

Kansas City's nightlife.

There is a nightlife in KC?? Who knew!

(sorry, I could not resist).

One thing I love about Kansas is you can do 120mph on the interstate at night driving through the state. Just don't fall asleep.

I have season tickets to the Royals and let me tell you a few things you might not know. Every single Friday / Saturday / Sunday game all year has been sold out.

Then why are they ranked 24th in attendance last year?  Does nobody go to the games Monday through Thursday?

Then why are they ranked 24th in attendance last year?  Does nobody go to the games Monday through Thursday?

The difference between 24 and 18 is negligible.  24 is also ranked higher than multiple cities with NHL teams, and only SLIGHTLY behind a number of others such as NY, Minnesota, and Seattle which everyone thinks should have an NHL team.  I'm going to go back to Sporting KC has sold out 54 straight games, Arrowhead stadium is always sold out as well. (76,000)  Baseball has 82 regular season home games.  There is quite a bit of difference between a stadium that holds 40,000 and 82 home games, vs an arena that holds 16,000 with 40 home games.  

Detroit Lions average attendence is 13,000 less per game than Kansas City.  No thoughts there?

@bhedges1987  Well, I'm not a Lions fan, so I don't know why they are factored in here. I would suspect it's because Ford Field does not have a very high seating capacity. KC has always been a awesome football city. Everyone knows that Arrowhead is one of the very hardest stadiums to win in....the fans are so loud and rabid, it gives the Chiefs a HUGE edge.

Spend some time in Columbus...you'll see what I mean. And yes, that is even taking the college population into consideration!

While Ohio is stuck 10 years back from the rest of the nation, it (Columbus) certainly can not be as bad as Cleveland or Toledo! :-)

Archived