Ovechkin 5 games with no points

yave1964

Alex Ovechkin started out with 5 goals in the first 4 games, taking up where he left off last year.

Since then, he has went the longest stretch of his entire nine year career with 5 games without a point. Five games with absolutely nothing.

Usually when the Wings play I like to study a rookie or someone whom i have not watched before, but last night I studied Ovie, trying to see what was going on with him.

He was -2, playing just under 20 minutes of which 6 and a half were on the power play. He led all shooters with 7 shots and led all players for both teams in hits. Overall, I thought he played one hell of a game.

Ovie worked his tail off last night, he seemed to be all over the ice and had a dangerous shot.

Warts and all, you know he will come back, 50 goals or so by the end of the year. Fifth game pointless he is working his tail off to break his slump.

Where I am going with this, would you rather have a guy like Ovie with 50 goals who come in bunches and when he is cold he is really cold. Or would you rather have a guy like Getzlaf who does not put up quite the points but never seems to play a bad game?

Where I am going with this, would you rather have a guy like Ovie with 50 goals who come in bunches and when he is cold he is really cold. Or would you rather have a guy like Getzlaf who does not put up quite the points but never seems to play a bad game?

As a Flyer fan, I think I would prefer Getzlaf. Ovi would be suspended for his leaving the skates hits he makes 90 percent of the time. I don't ever recall seeing Getzlaf quit on a play either...or hustling to get off the ice so it would not count against his +/- .....Yeah, personally, I would prefer Getzlaf.

Depends on which team, but mostly likely Getzlaf 9 times out of 10. Ovechkin is a bit of a soulless player. He'll get you numbers, but it won't result in anything. It's not totally his fault, because Washington pretty much sucks every year, but he plays a part. If I was Washington, I'd actually consider trading him and starting over. He's been there forever and they've never been able to get anything done with him and/or surround him with decent players.

• 1 month later...

Archived