Ghost to Phantoms on Halloween

flyercanuck

I know the writing was on the wall with the Coca-Cola kid signing...I just wanted to post this title.

Ghost has the skill to play in the NHL. I don't think he has the size just yet. And he still has to learn how to play against bigger, faster and more skilled players. Pick your spots etc.

I agree with him being sent down. He needs more time to develop. However, I think I would have let him play in Florida before sending him down. It would allow his family and friends to see him play in the NHL and (this part might sound a little stupid but) he is somewhat of a folk hero in Florida. Let him fill some seats and help grow the game in that area (I don't think the Panthers are moving anytime soon).

@hf101

For sure he was brought up due to injury. The reason he was brought up was because he;s presently a borderline NHLer. And that's exactly the reason he should be sent down.

His TOI was limited and shielded by the coaching staff.

He needs to play more in all situations and develop his game to improve his effectiveness in the NHL.

Good problem to have, a young defneseman with hi potential

Irregardless(one of Rad's favorite words), I would have played the Ghost for the Panthers game if for no other reason than to give Florida kids(and his family and friends) the idea that they too can have the potential to play in the NHL. One more game in the NHL before being sent back down would not make or break anyone.

Irregardless(one of Rad's favorite words), I would have played the Ghost for the Panthers game if for no other reason than to give Florida kids(and his family and friends) the idea that they too can have the potential to play in the NHL. One more game in the NHL before being sent back down would not make or break anyone.

Granted and agreed.

But that's on Berube, not Hextall...

@hf101

For sure he was brought up due to injury. The reason he was brought up was because he;s presently a borderline NHLer. And that's exactly the reason he should be sent down.

I think if he was borderline he would be given a real shot to stay with the Flyers.  That isn't the plan though, he is to stay the remainder of the season with the Phantoms this season to win the Calder Cup.  

I think if he was borderline he would be given a real shot to stay with the Flyers.  That isn't the plan though, he is to stay the remainder of the season with the Phantoms this season to win the Calder Cup.  

Theres presently 14 teams ahead of the Phantoms. That's like saying the Flyers brought in Coliacovo to win the cup.

There's presently 14 teams ahead of the Phantoms. That's like saying the Flyers brought in Coliacovo to win the cup.

You don't think that winning the Calder Cup is the goal for the Phantoms?  Laughton himself said he wants to help this team go deep into the playoffs.  As far as Carlo goes surely they brought him in to improve the defense to win a cup. -- or do you think they brought him in so the don't need to call up any defensemen from the Phantoms?

So, you're saying Ghost isn't borderline?

Of course the Phantoms want to win. What the hell else are they there for?

Oh, right, developing talent.

So they're trying to do both because a winning atmosphere helps developing talent.

If any of these guys were can't miss NHLers they would be on the Flyers.

And if there was room to develop them at the NHL level, they would have a better shot.

There isn't, and for that we can thank Homer. The gift that keeps on giving.

You don't think that winning the Calder Cup is the goal for the Phantoms?  Laughton himself said he wants to help this team go deep into the playoffs.  As far as Carlo goes surely they brought him in to improve the defense to win a cup. -- or do you think they brought him in so the don't need to call up any defensemen from the Phantoms?

Of course the Calder is the goal for the Phantoms. The point is, they currently aren't much closer to that goal than the Flyers are to the goal of winning the cup. Laughton himself said he wanted to help Oshawa go deep in the playoffs last year. The guy wants to win. That's great. It doesn't guarantee a thing.

It would allow his family and friends to see him play in the NHL and (this part might sound a little stupid but) he is somewhat of a folk hero in Florida. Let him fill some seats and help grow the game in that area (I don't think the Panthers are moving anytime soon).

I agree with that. Is there a game count somewhere there that would prejudice this move? I don't really get it otherwise and its like a two handed back slap imo.

Dictionary patrol is on alert again.

(sorry for busting stones, but that is an easy one to bust on).

If you caught the remark directly after the term, you will see that I actually used it intentionally. Rad and I have had this conversation about the term regardless/irregardless for a couple of years now. I don't know if smarmy is an actual word either but I use that word when I am looking for ruxpin.

If you caught the remark directly after the term, you will see that I actually used it intentionally.

I did and my bad. I was reading posts in sequence. Just a word that always cracks me up. I did IT consulting for many years and we would have these young whipper snappers come onto a project with high pedigree college degrees and they would drop the "irregardless" bomb and it was all I could do to not spit out my coffee during a meeting when I would I would hear it.

Mind you, if a lay person does it, no problem. But these were kids fresh out of Ivy league schools.

Archived