With a solid ownership group and rink, Las Vegas clearly at front of expansion line

Irishjim

For Bill Daly, what happened in Vegas most certainly didn’t stay in Vegas, but after giving the most concrete evidence ever that the league is already down the road to either expanding or relocating a team to Sin City, the NHL commissioner poured cold water on the notion.

But this is clearly more than just doing due diligence and kicking tires. In an interview with Michael Russo of the Minneapolis-Star Tribune, Daly acknowledged he was in Las Vegas on other business this past weekend, where he had a tour of the 20,000-seat rink that is being built by MGM Resorts and he met with a potential ownership group that has expressed an interest in owning a franchise.

That ownership group is reportedly led by billionaire William P. Foley, who made his fortune in title insurance and owns 14 wineries on the west coast, and includes the Maloof family, which owns several hotels in Las Vegas and once owned the Sacramento Kings of the NBA. In fact, George Maloof Jr., was the one who did the deal with the NHL to bring its awards show to Las Vegas.

read full article here:http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/with-a-solid-ownership-group-and-rink-las-vegas-clearly-at-front-of-expansion-line/ 

put another team in the desert... worked great the last time.   stupid move IMO.

Can't wait to see all the 19 - 25 year old players in Sin City when they visit. Teams better not plan on fly in a day early. It's a big city but I don't know if they can fill 20K worth of seats, especially after they realize after the first year that expansion teams suck. Florida and Arizona still do. 

• 5 weeks later...

Apparently Murray Craven could be one of the Owners of the Vegas Expansion team.

Via TSN's Bob McKenzie:

A name I think you'll remember from his playing days: Murray Craven has been a long-time friend of Bill Foley, the prospective owner of this Las Vegas hockey team. He is advising Foley right now, and if they get a team I suspect Murray Craven will be a key part in that front office alongside Foley in Las Vegas. Murray Craven, a long time Flyer and also a part of that great Canucks team in 1994. Played over 1,000 games. He lives in Montana and I think is looking to get back into hockey.

Archived