Oilers win! Oilers win!

flyercanuck

David (why do the Oliers always want to dump him?) Perron scored the winner in the 3rd period as the Edmonton Oilers broke an 11 game losing skid.

And yes that IS news.

Perron has played his heart out again this year, his points are down a bit this year but he still is among the teams leaders, plus he gets his fights in and plays a 200 foot game. Edmonton needs more guys like this, not less but he said a few weeks ago that this cannot go on and something has to change. Thereafter he has been the one on the chopping block.

I saw Scrivens interview after the game, he looked relieved as much as anything that the streak is finally over. But he looks beat down and tired, real tired.

I am convinced that some of these guys want to win in the worst possible way, Perron, Hall, Ference, Gordon and Scrivens all seem to want to win, but there is a poison in the clubhouse IMHO somewhere that is simply rotting the team from the inside out. Instead of getting rid of the guys who want to win, they need to take a scalpel and remove the players who are holding the organization back.

Perron has played his heart out again this year, his points are down a bit this year but he still is among the teams leaders, plus he gets his fights in and plays a 200 foot game. Edmonton needs more guys like this, not less but he said a few weeks ago that this cannot go on and something has to change. Thereafter he has been the one on the chopping block.

I saw Scrivens interview after the game, he looked relieved as much as anything that the streak is finally over. But he looks beat down and tired, real tired.

I am convinced that some of these guys want to win in the worst possible way, Perron, Hall, Ference, Gordon and Scrivens all seem to want to win, but there is a poison in the clubhouse IMHO somewhere that is simply rotting the team from the inside out. Instead of getting rid of the guys who want to win, they need to take a scalpel and remove the players who are holding the organization back.

A scalpel is putting it mildly. TNT might work better. Starting with upper management, right on down through coaching staff and trainers.

-I would certainly clear out Kevin Lowe.

-MacTavish has been uneven, but the club is still paying for Steve Tambellini's sins.

-I honestly don't know if Dallas Eakins is a bad coach or not, and don't profess to know about what makes a bad coach. I've seen quotes from other hockey men in the league that say there's nothing wrong with his systems, so I'll take that as educated statements which suggest he's at least competent. They've fired every coaching and members of the training staff during this period already. Certainly, they have the puck WAY more than they did in previous years, and push play much more often, about 50/50.

-The playing time of Justin Schultz has been a major issues. I have a feeling that it was MacTavish wanting his "Norris Trophy candidate" being pushed, because Craig Ramsay is in charge of the defensemen, and he has an outstanding reputation around the NHL. Tough to see him overplaying an obvious liability. Either way, since he was benched and returned, his minutes have been dropped down to 13 per night, and that time was given to Petry and Fayne, with noticeable improvement on the right side.

My take on RNH is that he looks like the younger brother of one of the players, and has been allowed in the dressing room. Mind you, he's up to over 190 lbs, so that helps in the "manliness" department. Still, he has a really young face, even for his youth.

Archived