When I saw Laughton

fanaticV3.0

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@flyercanuck   ha ha...I did say Vorachek would greatly out produce last years point totals and may pop in 40 this year....people only remember the wrong ones I guess.

Of course we only remember the wrong ones. You're here to remind us of the ones you got right! :D

Sssshhhhhh jammer. Your going to jinx him. I'm still waiting for Downie to be an all-star!

The big difference between Downie and Laughts is skating (that and Laughts can out dangle Steve something fierce). I will say one thing in defense of Downie, I watched him play a game against Tampa Bay this week, he was amazing. He pounded every single member of the Bolts defense corps with wicked hits. Stralman in particular...he got hit probably 5 times by Downie, by the time the 3rd period rolled around, he was actually scared to play the puck in the corner when Downie was on the ice....a direct product of Downie just continually blasting him over and over. Then, Downie scored a wonderful power play goal and chipped in an assist later in the 3rd. He outright dominated that game. I'm not saying he can do it consistently, but most Flyers fans were having a wonderful time ripping on the Pens for signing Downie over the summer. There are some rare times when Downie plays like an all star, he just lacks consistency...which is a big thing of course.

I always knew Downie was a weak skater, but I was shocked to see how bad his skating was at the NHL level, I miscalculated that big time.

@jammer2

I remember you talking up Henrique a lot when he was a Spit. He turned out to be a pretty good player.

Laughton is a very talented player. I think both of us were pretty confident that was a good pick, even if Maatta would also have been one. I just don't see 90 points in him. For one thing, he's too defensively responsible to play the type of game he'd need to hit that high.

Always had a soft spot for Downie. I laughed when the Pens brought him and Carcillo in because they'd got rid of Neal to "clean things up". Speaking of Neal...see his doucheness was the first NHL player fined for diving? I know, you're shocked.

The big difference between Downie and Laughts is skating (that and Laughts can out dangle Steve something fierce). I will say one thing in defense of Downie, I watched him play a game against Tampa Bay this week, he was amazing. He pounded every single member of the Bolts defense corps with wicked hits. Stralman in particular...he got hit probably 5 times by Downie, by the time the 3rd period rolled around, he was actually scared to play the puck in the corner when Downie was on the ice....a direct product of Downie just continually blasting him over and over. Then, Downie scored a wonderful power play goal and chipped in an assist later in the 3rd. He outright dominated that game. I'm not saying he can do it consistently, but most Flyers fans were having a wonderful time ripping on the Pens for signing Downie over the summer. There are some rare times when Downie plays like an all star, he just lacks consistency...which is a big thing of course.

I always knew Downie was a weak skater, but I was shocked to see how bad his skating was at the NHL level, I miscalculated that big time.

Laughton is a very talented player. I think both of us were pretty confident that was a good pick, even if Maatta would also have been one. I just don't see 90 points in him. For one thing, he's too defensively responsible to play the type of game he'd need to hit that high.

90 may have been a bit ambitious. Some things would have to happen in order for him to reach that lofty status....for one, he would have to be the #1 center, G would have to be gone....but this *is* the Flyers we are talking about. If G is not moved, long term IR'ed etc... they would need tremendous depth and scoring from the 2nd line (assuming he even sticks there). The good news, Schenn can still develop into a top flight NHL winger....thus giving Scott one of the 2 scoring wingers he would need to take things to that kind of level. By all accounts, Schenn is right where he should be, right on track to be an impactful high scoring NHL winger.

As far as I can see, the raw skills are there for Scott to be a top 20 forward in this league. The hockey sense is there, the ability to dangle, the patience and ability to use wingers properly, the accuracy of his shot, the variation of shot selection....it's all there. Most importantly, it's the work ethic that impresses me. He will get the very most out of his skill set....and that will effect his point totals as much as anything else.

Archived