When I saw Laughton

fanaticV3.0

bust his ass to get back on D and then proceed to poke check that puck away from the opposing player, I feel like I got a peek into the future. Or one possible future at least. I like what I'm seeing from him, and if they don't do anything stupid and trade one of their younger players is (which worries me more with every loss), I think he's a part of that core group. I hope at least.

I like the idea of G, Laughton, Couturier, and Belle down the middle. I think it's a nice mix of all-around play. And yes, if I'm calling the shots Bellemare is staying. Dude's a good player. Versatile too! I like our top line. I can see Laughton and Schenn making up the 2nd with a 3rd undetermined player (hopefully a vet in this poster's humble opinion). I like the idea of Coots, Read, and Raffl as our shutdown line and think they should be a part of the team every bit as long as the other 5 guys on the top two lines. You don't disregard how important defensive play is and to have an entire line that young is a big deal imo. I like the idea of Streit being here as we have some potential to fill out our D in the next couple of years with a slew of young players. I like MDZ, and would extend his contract, but frankly the way Berube has treated him is bizarre. Schenn, for example, is not only worse, but has been here longer and has never really been held accountable for his play. MDZ is benched a quarter into his first season here. That's scary. I like that Mason is young. He's not great, but he's not a bad player at all, and he only improves if you put a stud or two in front of him imo.

Despite the fact that they are a bad team, there's a lot of individuals on this team I want to keep. I hate to keep repeating myself, but they better not f-ck this up and do something stupid. They have a young core, a large one at that, and one that has played together (most of them) for several seasons now. You don't just disregard that because they are playing bad now. They just need some leadership, experience, and balls.

As for Laughton him, you just can't teach that kind of hustle. That was an awesome play.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think if the idea is getting more defense forwards on this team, then the offense have to come from the defensemen , which is big problem since our d core is more of shutdown defense, which is the reason why we are not scoring many goals. that's why im saying that hexy has to rebuild the defense because it's not going fit with defensive forwards.

@briere48

Philly is pretty deep with up and coming Dmen in Morin, Gostisbehere, Hagg and Sanheim. Both Sanheim and Ghost look like they can bring offence.

Laughton scored 40 goals last year in the O putting him top ten in goals. He was voted in the coaches poll as most dangerous player around the net, best shot, 3rd hardest shot, to go along with best pker, best faceoffs and best defensive forward.

He's not just a defensive forward.

@briere48

Philly is pretty deep with up and coming Dmen in Morin, Gostisbehere, Hagg and Sanheim. Both Sanheim and Ghost look like they can bring offence.

Laughton scored 40 goals last year in the O putting him top ten in goals. He was voted in the coaches poll as most dangerous player around the net, best shot, 3rd hardest shot, to go along with best pker, best faceoffs and best defensive forward.

yes of course, i believe laughton will be a good forward, i never said he will never score goals, just saying that our offense needs to come from the d not just the forwards, that's why im saying our d needs a rebuild.

yes of course, i believe laughton will be a good forward, i never said he will never score goals, just saying that our offense needs to come from the d not just the forwards, that's why im saying our d needs a rebuild.

Tres correctamundo

i think if the idea is getting more defense forwards on this team, then the offense have to come from the defensemen , which is big problem since our d core is more of shutdown defense, which is the reason why we are not scoring many goals. that's why im saying that hexy has to rebuild the defense because it's not going fit with defensive forwards.

Yeah, in theory

I am not sure that is the idea.

@briere48

Yeah, and Couturier scored 96 two years in a row in juniors too. I have openly declared I hope to see him anchoring our 2nd line one day, but ease up on the praise for his offensive grasshopper.

Laughton will score soon enough.  I just hope he doesn't get discouraged until then.  He has what it takes and he's working hard so I'm not too worried about it.

I actually saw him play on the phantoms about a month ago and I was a little nervous because he looked uninterested.  Maybe he was just waiting to make it to the big team because he looks different now.

Laughton looks like a different player now then when he stayed with the club after training camp, he said the difference now is that he has more confidence.

Agreed. Most of the time I would not say that 13 games is enough to impact a kid's career, but you are right. He definitely looks ready to stay up in the big leagues.

Good Morning:

I have a feeling we will be looking back at an otherwise poor season and commenting that it was when Coots got out of his pigeon hole and Laughton showed he was worth a first round pick.  Those are important ingredients.

Best,

Howie

Agreed. Most of the time I would not say that 13 games is enough to impact a kid's career, but you are right. He definitely looks ready to stay up in the big leagues.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I don't think we can underestimate the effect that his brief stint on the Phantoms did for him. He was put into a position playing against "men" and showed himself he could do it without the pressure of being in the NHL in a 3/4 line role.

He said himself his "confidence" is his biggest asset now. I don't know that he gets that "confidence" if he was thrown into the bottom six of this team to start the year.

Great to see him play his way into a position instead of being handed it.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I don't think we can underestimate the effect that his brief stint on the Phantoms did for him. He was put into a position playing against "men" and showed himself he could do it without the pressure of being in the NHL in a 3/4 line role.

He said himself his "confidence" is his biggest asset now. I don't know that he gets that "confidence" if he was thrown into the bottom six of this team to start the year.

Great to see him play his way into a position instead of being handed it.

Hopefully that last statement you made is the new way in Flyerdom.

Archived