Which Team Do You Want mcDavid To Go To?

JagerMeister

But that's exactly why I think Toronto does deserve him. Management messed up, and the fans suffer as a result. Leafs management doesn't deserve McDavid, but Leafs fans do. No fanbase deserves a break more than Toronto.

Have the Leafs ever had the #1 overall draft pick?  I'm going to go out on a limb and say no.

Given the performance of the Leafs over the past 40 years, this is a franchise that should have about six or seven #1 overall draft picks by now. The Leafs have never drafted a player like a Lemieux, Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, McDavid, etc. and they've consistently been one of the NHL's worst teams.  :(

yea, Out of all the original six teams, the Toronto Maple Leafs dont have alot of big name players

But that's exactly why I think Toronto does deserve him. Management messed up, and the fans suffer as a result. Leafs management doesn't deserve McDavid, but Leafs fans do. No fanbase deserves a break more than Toronto.

Have the Leafs ever had the #1 overall draft pick?  I'm going to go out on a limb and say no.

Given the performance of the Leafs over the past 40 years, this is a franchise that should have about six or seven #1 overall draft picks by now. The Leafs have never drafted a player like a Lemieux, Crosby, Ovechkin, Stamkos, McDavid, etc. and they've consistently been one of the NHL's worst teams.  :(

Have you ever known Leaf management to be smart enough to draft a player like Wendel Clark anywhere other than as the consensus #1 ? 

No thanks, unless it is magically Colorado :)

Ha ha...yeah, if he's not going to your team, I don't think anybody in their right mind would want McDavid in their Conference. Suppose the team that gets him finally get it right, and build a powerhouse that can potentially block your way to the cup for a decade or so....no thanks on that scenario. Although it is tougher to build a powerhouse.  You have to amass the players, let the cap play out, then unload and reload in the same breath....lol, good luck. Chicago is trying that very thing right now, and will have to sell off their depth.

Actually, Rask wasn't involved in the Kessel trade. The Leafs threw him away in exchange for Raycroft. Kessel came for 2-1sts and a 2nd I believe...Seguin, Hamilton and Knight.

Worst trade in NHL history. Thanks Brian Burke. Seguin is already a better player than Kessel by himself. :confused[1]:

Have you ever known Leaf management to be smart enough to draft a player like Wendel Clark anywhere other than as the consensus #1 ? 

Exactly. They would never be acused of being smart. :(

I'm going to have to dig into the history books, but I'm not sure that the Leafs have ever had a #1 overall draft pick that played with their team. (#1 picks traded away don't count obviously.)

The Leafs are bumping up against the salary cap with an 8th place team that has a fully developed/plateaued core of players. (Meaning they've maxed out with what they have and several players are going to be looking for more money this off-season.)

1985 - Toronto selected Wendel Clark 1st overall :D haha

They have had MANY top 10 and a lot of top 6. 

However, the Leafs gm's have screwed them of a few good top picks, though that is not the fans fault, that is the fault of their franchise. No team DESERVES any players, just like Pittsburgh in 2005 did not DESERVE Crosby and Colorado did not DESERVE MacKinnon. It is luck of the game, win or lose, all teams want to win.... though many do not seem to show it (Edmonton) its just dumb hockey luck....

Do I think the Coyotes or Hurricanes Deserve McDavid? No way, but they suck and sucky teams get good players. The Leafs always seem to be that team that suck but not enough and are good but not good enough...Same as the Devils.... 

Actually, Rask wasn't involved in the Kessel trade. The Leafs threw him away in exchange for Raycroft. Kessel came for 2-1sts and a 2nd I believe...Seguin, Hamilton and Knight.

Was not saying he was apart of that deal, came off that way, but was not meant as that... (Was saying they traded Tuukka to Boston and they gave them a 2nd overall pick...) 

Sorry ;)

@WordsOfWisdom   It could very well turn out that Hamilton will be more valuable than Kessel. He will soon take more and more of the leadership role from Chara, will soon be the go to guy for the Bruins pp for the next decade. Kessel is in the top 5 in scoring since the trade, but for me, the real value will be shown at playoff time. If Kessel dries up for the playoffs and remains a permimiter player, the tide will start to turn towards Dougie.

@WordsOfWisdom

They picked Wendel 1st overall.

Okay so that's one.... and that's 30 years ago. Edmonton has about five in the last decade. :rolleyes:

The NHL should implement a mercy rule and just give the #1, #2, and #3 draft picks this coming year to Toronto with no-movement clauses in their contracts so that Leafs management can't screw it up and can't miss. :lol:

1985 - Toronto selected Wendel Clark 1st overall :D haha

They have had MANY top 10 and a lot of top 6. 

However, the Leafs gm's have screwed them of a few good top picks, though that is not the fans fault, that is the fault of their franchise. No team DESERVES any players, just like Pittsburgh in 2005 did not DESERVE Crosby and Colorado did not DESERVE MacKinnon. It is luck of the game, win or lose, all teams want to win.... though many do not seem to show it (Edmonton) its just dumb hockey luck....

Do I think the Coyotes or Hurricanes Deserve McDavid? No way, but they suck and sucky teams get good players. The Leafs always seem to be that team that suck but not enough and are good but not good enough...Same as the Devils.... 

The Leafs aspire to be even half as successful as the Devils. The Devils won three Cups in the past 20 years and would routinely and easily dispatch the Leafs early in the playoffs whenever the two teams met. :mellow:

The last playoff round that the Leafs won was..... back in 2002? Oh the pain.  :confused[1]:

Leafs recent playoff history:

- Lost in first round to Boston in 2013.

- (Leafs were put into cryo-freeze for a decade)

- Lost in first round to Philadelphia in 2004?

As a Flyer fan, I'm quite proud of that decade of futility. I never liked J.R, but I make an exception with that series winning beauty over the Leafs. That was a dagger to the heart of Leaf fans everywhere, and certainly one of the most elated I've ever been after a goal. Never quite made up for the total and compete devastation of the "dribbler" that the Breezer let a decade earlier, but hey, those are the breaks.

As a Flyer fan, I'm quite proud of that decade of futility. I never liked J.R, but I make an exception with that series winning beauty over the Leafs. That was a dagger to the heart of Leaf fans everywhere, and certainly one of the most elated I've ever been after a goal. Never quite made up for the total and compete devastation of the "dribbler" that the Breezer let a decade earlier, but hey, those are the breaks.

Just think: Teams roughly have a 53% chance of making the playoffs in the NHL. (16/30.)

The odds of not making the playoffs at least once during a 9-year span is 14/30^9 = 0.1% :o

The Leafs aspire to be even half as successful as the Devils. The Devils won three Cups in the past 20 years and would routinely and easily dispatch the Leafs early in the playoffs whenever the two teams met. :mellow:

The last playoff round that the Leafs won was..... back in 2002? Oh the pain.  :confused[1]:

Leafs recent playoff history:

- Lost in first round to Boston in 2013.

- Lost in first round to Philadelphia in 2004?

True, but I still refuse to think Toronto deserves anything, maybe they deserve to find new management that will help them produce a playoff win.... I mean, who losses game 7 when they are up several goals? 

Archived