Damian Cox: Leafs Need to be Blown Up.

WordsOfWisdom

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For those that haven't heard...MLS&E brought charges against 3 fans last night for throwing their Leaf sweaters on the ice.

Talking about biting the hand that feeds you.

The jerk store called and said they'd been bought out by MLS&E

Just once I'd love to see a Leaf fan revolt against those filthy greedhead bastards.

In protest, all 20,000 fans should throw their Leafs jersey's on the ice together.

It would make NHL history, and no way would MLSE dare to anger all those season ticket holders. :)

Kessel is just so bad without the puck there's no way he's an "A" player...at least that's my opinion on him. When your team basically plays 4 on 5 without the puck it's pretty hard to consider you a top talent.

Yeah except that elite snipers aren't usually asked to play any "D".  If they play "D", it's an added bonus, but they usually have free reign to do whatever is necessary to score.  :)   However, when Kessel isn't scoring (like now), then he becomes a huge liability and everyone notices.

@WordsOfWisdom

Theres a difference between playing D and being a teammate. He gives zero effort without the puck. Even a half arsed somewhat effort at coming back would be better than what he does now. Heck, OVECHKIN plays a better two way game than Kessel (ok just this year) I'd be embarrassed if someone said that about me as an NHLer.

To be fair, throwing your jersey in the middle of the play is just stupid.

If you want to send a message and this is your chosen path, fine, do it. But don't interfere with the play. At least wait until the whistle.

I guess in terms of growing frustration, throwing jerseys is an escalation over throwing waffles. Progress?

If you want to send a message and this is your chosen path, fine, do it. But don't interfere with the play. At least wait until the whistle.

I guess in terms of growing frustration, throwing jerseys is an escalation over throwing waffles. Progress?

If nothing else it is a serious safety hazard for the players who are on the ice.

During play you certainly have to prosecute.

MLS&E are still jerks, tho ;)

@radoran Oh no doubt. Bastards have my money, and in return I have emotional trauma.

The fact that the highest revenue earning team in the league, and one of the more storied teams in the league was the ONLY team out of 30 to not make the playoffs last CBA, have made it once in a decade (and probably only because of the shortened season if we're honest), and have set NHL records for shots against is incredible. In today's league, sucking THAT badly for THAT long is borderline impossible, because in theory you could accidently tank yourself into contention by that point.

What they've been able to accomplish here is astonishing and unprecedented. Something to be proud of. 

I don't agree with fans throwing the jersey during a play, but I think most fans do it during a stoppage.

Just as a one time thing, I'd like to see all fans in attendance toss their jersey onto the ice (during a play stoppage) during the next Leafs game where the team puts in a lousy effort and gets clobbered. (Say final minute of the 3rd period in another one of these 4-0 games or whatever.)

@flyercanuck

Strangley I do respect the Habs and what they have achieved.

The Leafs? Nope.

However....highest ticket prices in the League...below supbar product for decades...CBC shoving Leafs hockey down everyones throat like everyone is interested in watching a soap opera....fans that pack the ACC for 1/2 the games as it takes them 10 minutes into each period to find their seats.

Biggest joke ever.

Sept. 19/2014 From Blog TO: ESPN loves to beat up on Toronto, having already ranked our city the worst in North America for professional sports back in 2011. The American sports network is back it, having just ranked the Toronto Maple Leafs the bottom of the barrel out of 122 sports franchises across the NFL, NBA, MLB and the NHL. Yes, that would be dead last.

CBC for years now have treated Canadian hockey fans like a fat guy sitting at a restaurant and the chefs run  out and jam lasagna down his throat without letting him seeing the menu and then proclaiming  "Hey...this guy really likes lasagna!!! Eat......Eat this crap!!!!!

Thank you Sportsnet for ending CBC monopoly.

@nORRis8

Trust me, I know all about the Leafs futility. Been reading, hearing, living it for decades.

ESPN ranked the Leafs the worst sports franchise? They're bad, but worst? Come on...they're worth over a BILLION dollars.

On the other hand, ESPN is by far the worst sports network at hockey coverage. I'd value their quality in that department at about 1 ruble.

ESPN ranked the Leafs the worst sports franchise? They're bad, but worst? Come on...they're worth over a BILLION dollars.

Who else hasn't won anything - or even been in the Final of their sport - for 47 years?

The Cleveland Browns? OK, fine, but they actually shut down for four seasons :D

Now, imagine being in the financial and cultural capital of the entire stinking country and still not doing anything.

The Islanders, Rangers, Yankees, Mets, Devils, Knicks, Giants, Jets - heck even the NETS have won championships in that time. Likewise the Dodgers, Lakers, Kings and Ducks.

No, we're not counting the Clippers :D

@radoran

The Flyers haven't won a cup in almost 40 years. Carolina just won won 8 years ago. Which one is the better franchise?

The Leafs haven't won a Cup in a league with more than 6 teams in it.

Is Carolina located in the financial and cultural capital of America? Raleigh isn't even the financial or cultural capital of North Carolina.

A 47-year record of futility - not even making the Final - is unheard of for a team in the same position.

"Valuable" and "good franchise" are two different things. The Buffalo Bills just sold for $1.4mb.

I'm not disputing they are bad. Heck, they're terrible. i just have a hard time calling a franchise worth $1.3 BILLION the worst franchise in sports.

Dude, the BILLS are worth $1.4B.

SOMEONE has to be the worst :)

That said, I don't know that the Leafs are worse than the Coyotes or the Panthers or the Flanucklers.

But I think when you look at the inherent advantages that the Leafs have and the results they've gotten with them they do make a very solid argument in favor of themselves being the worst.

The Leafs haven't won a Cup in a league with more than 6 teams in it.

Is Carolina located in the financial and cultural capital of America? Raleigh isn't even the financial or cultural capital of North Carolina.

A 47-year record of futility - not even making the Final - is unheard of for a team in the same position.

"Valuable" and "good franchise" are two different things. The Buffalo Bills just sold for $1.4m.

Dayum, that's cheap ;)

But I think when you look at the inherent advantages that the Leafs have and the results they've gotten with them they do make a very solid argument in favor of themselves being the worst.

It would be like the Yankees having a 200 million dollar payroll every year and not making the playoffs even once.

Prior to the salary cap, the Leafs had one of the highest payrolls in the NHL and did nothing with it. Not only were they not aggressive in pursuing top young talent, they threw money at players well past their prime and got almost no return on it. It was the laziest form of spending ever. They could have had anyone, and they got no one.

The current salary cap hurts the Leafs the most because they can't waste money on aging veterans like they used to.   :(

• 2 weeks later...

@radoran

I'm not disputing they are bad. Heck, they're terrible. i just have a hard time calling a franchise worth $1.3 BILLION the worst franchise in sports. 

I think that MLSE is worth 1.3 according to forbes, which includes the Raptors and the soccer team and a little of this and that. 

The problem is MLSE is a corporation and the Leafs sell out every game, so they don't need to produce a winner, just collect the pay check every month. I doubt the leafs win anything for the foreseeable future or until MLSE sells to a private owner....not named Ballard. And Rogers also owns the Blue Jays

Archived