Nicest And Meanest NHL Players You Have Met

JagerMeister

I have met a dozen or so face to face, give or take, none that stand out as unlikable. The funniest was Jan Mursak, a little played Euro with the Wings four or five years ago, I sat next to his parents in a game, I could tell they were obviously someones parents by the way they beemed and kept smacking each other. It took a bit to realize they were Mursaks parents, picture a language barrier such as that of Andy Kauffmans Latka. We ended up speaking hockey for the final two periods, I think it was hockey. They may have been giving me a back home recipe for chicken beak soup. Anyway, an absolutely delightful time.

The nicest was and is Paul Woods, hands down bar none. Came to the Wings in 1977 and never left. Just a class act.

Enrico Ciccone and Andre Roy at different points in the 90's and early 2000's respectively when they played for Tampa Bay.

Two players with reputations for being quite maniacal on the ice during a time when maniacal was ok, however, off the ice, at least from the impression I got, they were quite down to earth, funny guys who seemed more like big teddy bears than ted bundys... :)

Obviously, I don't know everything about their personal lives, but they had been personable with fans during some appearances they made throughout the TB area and with me in particular, were quite friendly.

I got to talking with Roy about some stuff I like, he asked if I play hockey, told him no, but that I was quite into Tae Kwon Do, and he joked about talking to the team about possibly letting me travel with the team to teach certain 'other' players how to be tougher on the ice (he often joked about Chris Dingman, who was quite a big man himself), and he asked how much I charged to teach him some, so he could add martial arts to his repertoire on the ice...

Really awesome experience meeting those two.

Can't say I have met 'nasty' NHL players...

There was one instance where Marty St. Louis was seen leaving one of our malls, and I tried getting near him to shake his hand, hug him, or something...lol...but he seemed more interested in whisking away from the crowd, and just sorta waving at people real quick as he made his way towards a car with a lady and a child...presumably his family.

Can't blame him though...probably a case of his cover being blown in public, and he just needed to get out of there. :)

Interesting topic... I've met a fair share through the years I suppose. I'll put them here.

Ed Olczyk was a very down to earth guy. My son got mad at his son for cutting in line at the cafeteria. He warned him, then took his glasses off and punched him in the nose. They got along after that but it prompted my meeting Olczyk. Super nice guy. Even under such odd conditions.

Brooks Orpik came to my house to deliver my season tickets one year. He was amazing with my kids. Talked to them at length, posed for pictures, and even invited them to stop by his house for stickball any time they wanted.

Game starting I'll post more later.

post-649-0-81942100-1422493948_thumb.jpg

Met Barrasso in 93 or 94... Was working armored trucks at the time and he walked out of the Civic Arena with us. Seemed good natured and laughed about jumping in our truck to sneak away from the media after practice.

Ken Wregget and Tyler Kennedy both lived where I work. Kennedy was super thankful when we looked after his girlfriend while he was away when she thought she had a stalker. Wregget owns a local bar. His girlfriend is a piece of shyte but he's been nothing but nice since I've known him.

Dupuis is in our Starbucks with his son a lot. Can't say enough nice things about the guy.

Michelle Therrien has a nanny that isn't much older than his oldest daughter and I seriously wonder if there isn't a more suitable term for her place in his life.

Jagr was always an a-hole when he was here. Used to fly through town in a Viper all the time. He'd be super nice when you stopped him but drove like an a-hole.

Kasparaitis was very personable and never felt you were intruding on his time. Used to stop and say hi to us when he'd see us at the bagel shop in the morning.

Tocchet eats at Moe's with his sons. Always polite.

Aaron Asham used to buy occasional rounds at the bar we all hang out at. Would sit and talk a lot.

Jordan Staal seemed aloof. Drove a tinted out range rover and paid the subway folks a good tip to bring his sandwiches to his car so he didnt have to deal with the public. One of my coworkers thought it was a drug deal and pulled him over. Doesn't follow hockey and didn't believe he played for the Pens.

I think that's about it... Never had a truly bad experience.

Nicest - Joe Sakic - He has always been a class act in Colorado. I have met him several times, the guy is a truly classy guy and not only did he prove that off the ice with the fans, public and the team, but he showed it on the ice. - Minus the Doug Gilmour butt whippin' after he scored on Chicago way back in the day.

Worst - Steve Downie - Dude it a total douche. There were a ton of kids waiting outside the Avalanche practice facility, one asked, "Hey Steve! You're my favorite player! Can you sign my jersey of yours?!"  Steve said, "Sure thing, give me a minute." Next thing we see, Steve gets in his car and drives off... The kid was heart broken, in tears and told his mom, "How can a hockey player be so mean!?" Broke my heart. Even the many times I met Claude Lemieux, he NEVER treated a fan like that, much less a kid under the age of 10 like this little guy. 

Archived