Another Record: Lowest Scoring January in Leafs History!

WordsOfWisdom

That game tonight looked like Mites on Ice.  Neither team could pass the puck.  Both goaltenders played fairly well.

I couldn't believe it was the same two teams that played a 7-4 game a month prior. The Flyers looked impotent, and the Leafs looked busy at times, but never dangerous in any way, shape, or form. Lots of harmless perimeter shots, no drive to the net. I mean wow. This month has been SO bad that I am changing my previous evaluation of Phil Kessel. I don't think he's an elite player anymore. His scoring droughts are so long now, and his lack of compete is such that he doesn't bring an "A" game often enough to warrant the label of being an "A" level player. I'm downgrading him to "B+".  This season has been an abomination.

You guys know it's coming....cue the meaningless winning streak. Give it 9-10 games or so, when they are comfortably out of the playoffs and BAM...they will figure it out.

I know everyone is struggling, but you guys are now seeing why the Flyers gave up on JVR. He has undeniable talent, but man oh man...if he is not scoring, he is useless. He does not have the mental strength to fight his way out of a slump, instead of sucking it up and working hard (which almost always gets results eventually), he gives up and goes through the motions....not exactly the kind of guy you want to go to war with....and that is just what the playoffs are, a war.

Might get worse after the trade deadline. 19 games will be remaining with 14 of those being above 500 teams. Plus, we will be without a few key guys in Franson, Santo and Winnik. 

Nah, the Leafs always turn it on once there's NOTHING to play for.  They will run this sumbitc_ up to 9th or 10th place again so they take themselves out of the draft lottery.

:(  

@WordsOfWisdom

9th or 10th is still a lottery pick. But your first point is well taken.

Yeah but they'll make sure they give themselves the worst possible odds. That way they don't accidentally land themselves a future franchise player that might help turn things around. Heaven forbid a player like Crosby or Ovechkin might ever land in Toronto. (Jaded Leafs fan.)   :angry:  :rolleyes:  :(  :P

@WordsOfWisdom

We can do better than Semin....how about a 2nd round pick in 2017?

Now that I think about it, this is probably what will happen:

As soon as the Leafs decide that they're finally going to "rebuild" and do it properly (ie: complete teardown and build through the draft), the NHL will change the draft system so that all teams 17-30 will have an equal chance of getting the #1 pick. (In other words, implementing my proposed tank-proof and mathematically fair draft system.) Thus, the Leafs will be prevented from doing the draft lottery rebuild technique employed by teams for the past decade. :):rolleyes:

the NHL will change the draft system so that all teams 17-30 will have an equal chance of getting the #1 pick. (In other words, implementing my proposed tank-proof and mathematically fair draft system.)

Ha...that would be the Leafs luck. If the Leafs want to up their chances, perhaps they could talk Gary into a ball picking system that runs on Pyramid Power. ....Imagine that, the prophecy comes true decades later....lol.

I'm all for being patient with young players, especially in the case of young D-men, but I've reached a point where I don't think Gardiner's play in his own zone will ever be adequate. I do think he will eventually turn into a respectable point producer, but the stinky defense outweighs his eventual offensive contribution. Seems to me, right now is when his value will be the highest, the more he plays, the more GM's and scouts catch on to the fact that his defense is unfixable. He could fecth a major return right now, maybe part of a package to get a legit #1 center they have been lacking since Sundin retired.

Even if Nylander turns out (he is a star, no doubt about it), they still need a guaranteed point producer down the middle.

I think a package of Lupul, Gardiner and a 2nd rounder from this years draft...that would net a pretty decent center IMHO. These 2nd round picks are highly coveted in this super deep draft, so the value you would get for that pick would far surpass what 2nd rounders historically net. 

Perhaps move Franson to sweeten this deal, or in a separate deal....but the writing is on the wall, I believe Franson will demand 5-6 mill a year for 5-6 years. That will be to rich for the Leafs blood, but I guarantee somebody will pay him, very weak year for offensive blueliners btw. Will be interesting to see what the Leafs will get for Franson. I think his free agent value will be significantly higher than his trade value. After all, he will be a rental for somebody. I can't believe he is gonna get this kind of money. He's turtle slow in his own end and turns the puck over quite a lot. Just goes to show how many teams are desperate for that cannon of a shot from the point on the pp. The fan base that acquires Franson will be screaming for his head....and they will be stuck with him.....really good chance, that as the top FA offensive d-man will demand and get a no movement clause.

It's good to laugh sometimes it keeps us from crying. I expect the Leafs to move Oli before the deadline...really no need to keep him.

Oli Jokeanen is just about the right age to start his long and illustrious Leafs career! LOL. I think the team might give him an 8-year contract at 10 mil per season. :ph34r:

Archived