Shanahan Granted Permission for Scorched Earth Policy (Globe and Mail)

Don't know if this has been posted already, but interesting article: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/kelly-shanahans-scorched-earth-leafs-plan-wins-mlse-support/article22938348/

Mixed feelings on this one, but it hopefully makes for an interesting deadline. Or maybe offseason, I guess.

Apparently he's already fed up with a cap max team in 5th last place. Who would've guessed?

@Commander Clueless

At the risk of sounding like a troll, hasn't a scortched earth policy been the management style for the Leafs for the past thirty or so years? Sounds like Shanny is simply keeping it up.....

How about a Kessel for Yandle deal? Other pieces both ways of course, but the 'Yotes need a scorer and the Leafs need about everything......

@Commander Clueless

At the risk of sounding like a troll, hasn't a scortched earth policy been the management style for the Leafs for the past thirty or so years? Sounds like Shanny is simply keeping it up.....

How about a Kessel for Yandle deal? Other pieces both ways of course, but the 'Yotes need a scorer and the Leafs need about everything......

Really, they need to stop making stupid deals and contracts. Kessel (both the trade AND the contract), Phaneuf, Clarkson, Rask.

And trust me, I have a lot of experience seeing GMs make stupid move after stupid move. Practically a lifetime's worth of experience, really.

@Commander Clueless

Scorched earth was Fletcher's mandate back in the day. The Leafs have been building on Burke's work since then. According to the article, Shanahan doesn't want to tinker anymore like Nonis has been doing. He wants to start over.

Kessel for Yandle isn't a terrible idea in theory, but I think both teams might be more interested in younger, more rebuild-y assets at this point.

Scorched earth was Fletcher's mandate back in the day. The Leafs have been building on Burke's work since then. According to the article, Shanahan doesn't want to tinker anymore like Nonis has been doing. He wants to start over.

Kessel for Yandle isn't a terrible idea in theory, but I think both teams might be more interested in younger, more rebuild-y assets at this point.

Franson and Santorelli traded!

Leafs get prospects and Olli Joke-anen back (expiring contract no doubt). It sucks to lose Santorelli (because he was actually decent) but it's nice to see that the human give-away machine is gone! :)

The only downside is that I won't get to see how many defensive errors Franson would have had in a full season. He might have hit 40! 

It occurred to me that prior to trading Franson, the Leafs had FOUR defencemen on their blueline that all try to play the same style of offensive game:

• Phaneuf (aspirations of being Franson)
  • Franson (aspirations of being a defenceman)
  • Gardiner (Franson is his role model)
  • Rielly (Franson is his role model)

I swear Robidas must feel like the only D-man on the Leafs. The other guys are nowhere to be found in the Leafs zone half the time.

Archived